Ford Transit USA Forum banner

741 - 753 of 753 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've done 2 big trips in the last year, GA -> WA down the 101 into CA -> GA (October 2018) and GA -> MT -> GA (visiting my folks June 2019). While I'm a conscious driver and had ~15 years of "light foot" training with a diesel VW where I was looking to stay above 50mpg, I also want to get where I'm going. There was a time I would have said I was normal driver, but too many years watching others tap-dancing on their brakes have corrected that thought. Smooth input (no fast acceleration or deceleration), watching traffic, coasting to slow down, etc... but no shame in running 75mph on cruise with the AC running either. Anyway, first trip returned a hand-calculated 16mpg and the second trip was 17mpg. My overall average (mileage is about half those 2 trips and half local) is 17mpg, and I've seen a trend where it's been increasing slightly as I get a few more miles... probably as the engine breaks in fully.

I just ran an errand today, van dash is sitting at 21.3mpg right now with ~40 miles since fill. No speeds faster than 55mph, no cruise, still a good bit of elevation change (for Georgia at least).

2018 3.5L 3.31 non-LSD 140wb (non-EB) with the only External change being a mid-roof Maxxair fan.

·
Registered
238 Posts
2018 3.5L 3.31 non-LSD 140wb (non-EB) with the only External change being a mid-roof Maxxair fan.

I'm a little confused here. You have a 3.5L engine that is not Eco-Boost. How is that possible on a US 2018 Transit? Also, is your wheelbase 130" or 148"?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm a little confused here. You have a 3.5L engine that is not Eco-Boost. How is that possible on a US 2018 Transit? Also, is your wheelbase 130" or 148"?

I think the only “non” part is the Limited Slip Differential.

·
Registered
125 Posts
non EB is not the Extended Body, but the 140" wheelbase

In other words, I have the mid length of the 3... oh, but forgot to say I also have the mid-roof. And the "dealer" did the first 160mile "break in" for me, probably lots of full-throttle on cold engine.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
non EB is not the Extended Body, but the 140" wheelbase

In other words, I have the mid length of the 3... oh, but forgot to say I also have the mid-roof. And the "dealer" did the first 160mile "break in" for me, probably lots of full-throttle on cold engine.
I think that folks here (including me) are only aware of 2 Ford Transit wheelbases...130" and 148". The extended length Transit has the same 148" wheelbase as the full length Transit, but has a 6ft rear overhang.

The Ford website also only shows those 2 wheelbases.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In Texas the gas pumps are calibrated by private companies -
Pumps/calibration are almost never tested by the state -

Lots of room for shady things to happen -

Look up New Jersey Gas scam -
customers were cheated out of Millions $$ by by gas station chain
that had black boxes installed that would short customers on amount of fuel -

Boxes could be adjusted Or turned off/ On at will -

A NJ state tax accountant caught them not gas pump inspectors -

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2016 high roof, 148 regular 3.5L, 3.31 non-LS with 96K miles. It was the dealer's own delivery vehicle, dealer located on a highway in a pretty open area, so probably had mostly highway. They claimed it was driven by an "older gentleman." Dash odometers read 18 and 18.1 MPG.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The following are my 2019 year end totals for a Ford Transit T-350, long and tall, 3.5L EcoBlaster, 3.31 rears. In October 2016, I put on larger tires (245/75 R16) and corrected my mileage by 8%. These are actual figures obtained by dividing total miles by total gallons. These numbers are not from the dash readout.
emlm
2019 MPGs.jpg

·
Registered
355 Posts
As always, you have done an excellent job of documenting real world figures for the Transit.

It's always nice to be able to compare my numbers to yours to see how close I can get.

I'm close enough to be satisfied.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
433 Posts
As always, you have done an excellent job of documenting real world figures for the Transit.

It's always nice to be able to compare my numbers to yours to see how close I can get.

I'm close enough to be satisfied.

Sent from my Hi9plus using Tapatalk
Thanks Bob. This is the first year my MPGs have dropped below 17 miles per gallon. I don't know if this is related to high mileage; 306,000 miles, climate change or karma for participating in one of the most inefficient and eco-unfriendly forms of transportation. I'll probably burn in **** for this and leave another large, ugly carbon foot print.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Finished tallying up my numbers for 2019.

Averaged 17.3 mpg for the year.

Probably about a 50/50 split between highway and city.

2015 low roof, 130” WB, 3.5 EB, 3.31 LS

741 - 753 of 753 Posts