Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd be the one to start the "official" MPG for the 3.2 thread. Try to post your numbers and note which rear end gear ratio you have. Also please note the total mileage on your van....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Real curious to see this go down.

I get on the low side of what lots of guys claim with my 3.0 V6 2013 Sprinter 3500.

The Nag 5 blows.Full stop.

Savvy sprinter drivers massage around it with scan gauge monitoring, but day in day out, the Fords got to be better in the trans space.

Im guessing 6 to 6 the transmission in the ford wins the round.

Of course the smaller benz with the 7 speed gets better mileage than the 3.2, but how does it run and last at rated weight?

UD

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Uncle Dave, this thread is intended for Transit owners with the 3.2 diesel to report actual MPG results. The following forum might be a better place to discuss Transit vs. Sprinter general issues, and you would be most welcome to start your own topic there, or to post in one of the existing threads.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-versus-competition/

Thank you in advance for your understanding, that this MPG sub-forum will work best for all if the posts here stay on-topic.

Peter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Uncle Dave, this thread is intended for Transit owners with the 3.2 diesel to report actual MPG results. The following forum might be a better place to discuss Transit vs. Sprinter general issues, and you would be most welcome to start your own topic there, or to post in one of the existing threads.

Ford Transit Versus The Competition - Ford Transit USA Forum

Thank you in advance for your understanding, that this MPG sub-forum will work best for all if the posts here stay on-topic.

Peter
Got it.

New guy here didnt pay attention to where I put the post.

UD

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Previous reports of 3.2 MPG in different threads may need updates that this thread now exists?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure of my rear end ratio? But I have the LWB dually HD model and get 19.5-20.5mpg with mixed driving. I have gotten 26mpg on a short road trip that was all highway, but that dropped back down once I got back into town lol.

My van has 5k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not sure of my rear end ratio? But I have the LWB dually HD model and get 19.5-20.5mpg with mixed driving. I have gotten 26mpg on a short road trip that was all highway, but that dropped back down once I got back into town lol.

My van has 5k miles on it.
It would be great if you could look up your rear end ratio from your invoice or window sticker. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
250 ext. 331 rear 2500 miles, 18.5 MPG (hand cal.)most 45-65 rural driving. One 900 mile trip with 1000 lb cargo.
Will go to Fl. in Feb. towing 16 ft tandem axel tr. Will report mileage on return

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just some quick inputting:
1- First tank avg had 22.1 on computer and 20.85 calculated;
2- Around town, Orlando, avg traffic, no why's got about 21.8 computer;
3- On Hwy, resetting computer every 50 miles or so, notice Van mpg VERY sensitive to speed, guess mostly due to the HR. 25.3 mpg at 55 mph, 22.8 mpg at 65 mph and 21.5 mpg at 75 mph. Wind direction will also affect results a lot.
My van is a 250, diesel, srw, 3.31 LS, HR.
Van had no load, empty. 600 miles on odometer.
Thanks for the details Gianz. Interesting what a difference the 3.31 rear end seems to make on the mileage IMO.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I am getting mine tomorrow and will post as I go. 3.2 I5, 3.31 LS axle, LwB, HR
Thanks again for posting yesterday in that other thread. I took the liberty of copying your recent mileage here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
now have 987 miles first tank of fuel 22.31 mpg 2nd tank 23.22 i'm running 331 rear and 3.2 diesel x long x tall 350 i thank this great i live in the mtns so far all mtn driving everyday driver too.only thing i don't like is exhaust pipe not going out the side or rear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Today I filled up, probably 60% city and 40% highway at 72 miles per hour - averaged 16.8 mpg. Probably have 800 lbs of cargo currently. I have a t250 148 mid length mid roof 3:73 rear end with 3.2 diesel.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
now have 987 miles first tank of fuel 22.31 mpg 2nd tank 23.22 i'm running 331 rear and 3.2 diesel x long x tall 350 i thank this great i live in the mtns so far all mtn driving everyday driver too.only thing i don't like is exhaust pipe not going out the side or rear.
Today I filled up, probably 60% city and 40% highway at 72 miles per hour - averaged 16.8 mpg. Probably have 800 lbs of cargo currently. I have a t250 148 mid length mid roof 3:73 rear end with 3.2 diesel.
Seems like the 3.31 rear end makes a difference, esp. with Larry getting good MPG with the long and tall . . .

·
Registered
42 Posts
XLT 350 - Low roof, Long wheelbase, 3.31.

Second Tank, Maximum speed 80 mph , empty no passengers, South Florida weather.

Hand calculated, 435 Miles 23.13 gallons, Flat 50/50 18.8 mpg.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks everyone for the mpg reports! I'm hoping for mpg between 23 and 25 with a low roof, 3:31 short wheel base, sure glad I did not order the EB.

Epps

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will post as soon as we put enough miles on it calculate mpg. So far we have 25 miles. ;-)

1 - 20 of 173 Posts