Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I assume you changed the wheels or tire size, or both, so the MPG calculation will be off and your MPH reading.
Download a MPH app for your phone and do a test drive to compare the instrumentation reading to the app MPH.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume you changed the wheels or tire size, or both, so the MPG calculation will be off and your MPH reading.
Download a MPH app for your phone and do a test drive to compare the instrumentation reading to the app MPH.
awe crap. I hadn't considered that. I guess I'm wondering, if you didn't change anything else, how much worse would your MPG get with a lift of 2" - 3". I'd love to buy the longest version of transit instead of my medium length one, but as you can see in the picture, I'd need some kind of lift to get that extra 3 feet of booty into my driveway

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
i installed 215 85 16 hankook dynapro atm and the Foes 2 inch lift. I have a 350hd (dually) with ecoboost. now i m very easy on the van and drive very gently for good mpg and i gain about 1mpg with the taller tires as the rpm is lower at cruise speeds.

i was very suprised with this. my stock tire were 195 75 16 i beleive so i went from a 27.5 diameter to 30.4.

so far...very happy. gas is also changing here in canada with summer blend and it s better mpg vs winter so perhaps that is playing into the equation but i 100% havent lost any mpg with those mods.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i installed 215 85 16 hankook dynapro atm and the Foes 2 inch lift. I have a 350hd (dually) with ecoboost. now i m very easy on the van and drive very gently for good mpg and i gain about 1mpg with the taller tires as the rpm is lower at cruise speeds.

i was very suprised with this. my stock tire were 195 75 16 i beleive so i went from a 27.5 diameter to 30.4.

so far...very happy. gas is also changing here in canada with summer blend and it s better mpg vs winter so perhaps that is playing into the equation but i 100% havent lost any mpg with those mods.
How's the gap between your duallies with those larger tires? Are you using stock rims? Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
I just got a 2 inch lift and BFG KO2 tires. My gas mileage using a GPS was 14.4 MPG over 180 miles at 67 mph. All of my prior measurements were taken at 70 mph and over. At 70 mph I was getting 14.1 MPG. That was in November though, probably running the heater a bit. My mileage always declines in the colder weather. Additionally, my van didn’t have a fan or solar panels on the roof back then, so I guess my mpg went up! It will be interesting to see if this holds true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
3/8 of a inch. i been keeping a eyes on it and so far so good! If i want more gap, a small spacer or swaping the outside rear stock rim for a aftermarket could get me another 1/2-3/4.

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
Bumping this for any updates on MPG with lifts and/or larger tires. :)
Just having a lift should not change mpg in most driving. Maybe at speed there would be some change due to aerodynamics but i doubt you could measure it.

Taller tires themselves will change the odometer distance, so any comparisons would need to account for that. Once adjusted, there is no substantial difference between my two nearly identical wagons, one with stock tires and the other with 245/75 AT tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know of a company that makes a computer to re flash the ecu with the tire size you are running? I know allot of the tuners for trucks can do this, but unaware if there is as much support for the transit.

·
Super Moderator
2,980 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts