Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Avalanche 148 AWD
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to cut my sink in and was contemplating how much space to leave on the side. I was thinking 4". Does anyone wish they had more on the side of the sink? It is going to be mounted for access from the open slider. What about the faucet? Would you keep it centered with the sink or mount it in the corner leaving open space to the outside of the van slider?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I mounted my galley by the slider and have enough room on the right side (back of van) for a coffee maker. Faucet is centered over sink and I have 20-24" to the left. I'd need to measure to verify. The actual sink is just behind the slider door.. I like this set up, as I can access the faucet from outside but more importantly, I can slide food in and out through my slider window while BBQing. This really helps during mosquito and bug season.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm getting ready to cut my sink in and was contemplating how much space to leave on the side. I was thinking 4". Does anyone wish they had more on the side of the sink? It is going to be mounted for access from the open slider. What about the faucet? Would you keep it centered with the sink or mount it in the corner leaving open space to the outside of the van slider?
If you plan to use the sink faucet for an outdoor shower place the sink and faucet to enable this function. Everything is a trade off in such small spaces, so understanding your stove placement, electrical/gas, and storage is helpful when deciding kitchen layout. Also the flip up cutting boards can expand the counter space, but limit access in and out of the van when in use. Again, the trade offs

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I had a similar setup in my camper van, only it was the stove on the end of the counter by the slideout and the sink was to the right of that. There was maybe 4" or so next to the stove before the end of the counter (athough there was then an auxilliary counter section). What I found that that 4" of space was it wasn't very useful. Either I wouldn't use it at all, or I would set things there (like a water bottle) and then they would get knocked off. I think even that small amount of "extra" space would have been more useful between the sink and stove, not on the end of the stove/counter.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You always want more space around your sink. I put a 12 inch extension on the left side of my sink, that can flip up and down. it does kinda of block the slider when up but the extra space is great. I'll see if I can find a picture.

·
Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
756 Posts
Great now I have different ideas in my head for where to place the sink........Nothing is easy and nothing ends up where you thought you wanted it at first.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,021 Posts
Is there a stovetop in/on that countertop? If so, I prefer to prioritize the stovetop nearest the slider to vent if necessary. Sink to the right. Faucet can go either side. I favor moving the sink very close to the side - maximizing usable counter-space to the /other/ side of the sink at the expense of a bit of aesthetics. 2" or 4" on the side are both pretty useless; but adding 2" to a larger area is useful.

FWIW, we have the outdoor shower coming out behind the oven / stovetop even though the sink is to the right. 🤷‍♀️

In ours, there's an induction burner in the center; but that is the usable counter space when not cooking on it.

Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Shower off the back:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
756 Posts
Is there a stovetop in/on that countertop? If so, I prefer to prioritize the stovetop nearest the slider to vent if necessary. Sink to the right. Faucet can go either side. I favor moving the sink very close to the side - maximizing usable counter-space to the /other/ side of the sink at the expense of a bit of aesthetics. 2" or 4" on the side are both pretty useless; but adding 2" to a larger area is useful.

FWIW, we have the outdoor shower coming out behind the oven / stovetop even though the sink is to the right. 🤷‍♀️

In ours, there's an induction burner in the center; but that is the usable counter space when not cooking on it.

View attachment 179670

Shower off the back:
View attachment 179671
Induction cooktop and propane cooktop. I have not see that before. I know in our van we are planning on using induction when cooking inside but at camp when we can we will use a camp stove. I have a couple to choose from. We are going to use a portable induction cooktop so we have as much counter space as we can when not cooking plus I can use it outside on a shelf on back side of kitchen cabinet. Trying to give us as many options as we can.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,021 Posts
Induction cooktop and propane cooktop. I have not see that before. I know in our van we are planning on using induction when cooking inside but at camp when we can we will use a camp stove. I have a couple to choose from. We are going to use a portable induction cooktop so we have as much counter space as we can when not cooking plus I can use it outside on a shelf on back side of kitchen cabinet. Trying to give us as many options as we can.
After a year-plus with the propane oven and burners (plus the single induction and a microwave), I'm pulling out the oven and replacing with a dual-burner induction and an electric convection / microwave unit. The propane oven just takes too long to heat up compared to a toaster-oven / convection-oven and will save the space currently allocated to the microwave. And we'll get more counter-top from the middle space; plus we'll recess the dual-burner to allow that to become pure counter-top as well.

After lots of variations in the last rig we moved toward as little moving things around as possible; aiming to keep it more like a "home" thing where things are in place as most typically needed and used. If we want outside stuff, we can bring a camp stove (but we don't typically). Not uncommon for the "cook" to be inside the van with folks sitting in chairs outside the door - still "hanging out" without needing to change things around.

·
Registered
756 Posts
After a year-plus with the propane oven and burners (plus the single induction and a microwave), I'm pulling out the oven and replacing with a dual-burner induction and an electric convection / microwave unit. The propane oven just takes too long to heat up compared to a toaster-oven / convection-oven and will save the space currently allocated to the microwave. And we'll get more counter-top from the middle space; plus we'll recess the dual-burner to allow that to become pure counter-top as well.

After lots of variations in the last rig we moved toward as little moving things around as possible; aiming to keep it more like a "home" thing where things are in place as most typically needed and used. If we want outside stuff, we can bring a camp stove (but we don't typically). Not uncommon for the "cook" to be inside the van with folks sitting in chairs outside the door - still "hanging out" without needing to change things around.
After years of having RV's I never liked the little ovens. We always do a lot of cooking outside when we can so that will not be an issue for us. I have been thinking about a small microwave oven or micro/convection combo. Just needs to be in a well vented location as I know our countertop one here at home puts out a ton of heat.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
After years of having RV's I never liked the little ovens. We always do a lot of cooking outside when we can so that will not be an issue for us. I have been thinking about a small microwave oven or micro/convection combo. Just needs to be in a well vented location as I know our countertop one here at home puts out a ton of heat.
I originally had a 2 burner propane stove with the common 10,000 btu burners. With any wind I could not boil water outside. Changed to a Camp Chef Ranger II with 17,000 btu burners to solve the problem.

Made storage for the stove at the bottom of the sink cabinet without a door.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You always want more space around your sink. I put a 12 inch extension on the left side of my sink, that can flip up and down. it does kinda of block the slider when up but the extra space is great. I'll see if I can find a picture.
Could you share with us the hinges you used for the flip up extension? Are you completely happy with them?

·
Registered
22 Avalanche 148 AWD
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to use a portable cooktop and plans are to use it to the right of the sink. The countertop on the drivers side as prep. I have 48" on both sides and that is all i get. With just me that should be fine. The sink will have a cutout cover so it isn't all empty space.

There will also be a overhang on the counter so i have somewhere to mount my ski vices for waxing. 😀

·
Registered
"Rancor" - 2023 T350 HR AWD
14 Posts
While watching YouTube Van tours I saw another way to save space for you walking path to the back of the van and making your counter less deep. Attach the faucet to the side of the sink rather than in the back. Seems obvious once you see it! If I find the video again I’ll post a link, but it’s an easy enough concept to understand :sneaky:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
For another point of view, in the campervan I mentioned above (which I did not build), the stove was in front of the slider and the sink just aft of that. I would have changed them around. First of all, I had a propane burner, so it would tend to blow out, and/or the flame's effectiveness would just be reduced.

But even if not using flame, I found it didn't "vent out the door" as much as I would have liked. Just as often, it was blowing in. In that case you could use a roof vent to "direct" the air flow; but then if you are doing that you could do it just as well with the stove in the aft position and the sink by the door.

The other thing is, I guess I stand by the sink more, but I like being able to see out while standing at the sink (and I'm not talking about ducking down to see out the official windows). With the slider open, you get an actual eye-height area to look out of.

That all said, the setup worked just fine with the stove by the door and the sink aft; I just would have changed them around if I were building it from scratch. I'm sure others would prefer it the opposite way though. I always just figure that the people asking will find that one or more responses resonates with them, so might as well throw all the angles into the discussion.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I offset my faucet from the sink center to be closer to the c pillar. It still swivels to the outside but is more out of the way moving thru the slider.
Ditto this.
The sink will have a cutout cover so it isn't all empty space.
Ditto this too. With the cutout, make sure you do something to prevent rattle noise. I put 1" x 1/16" neoprene on the edge of the cutout; only necessary in the four corners. That prevents side-to-side rattle. Also put about a 1/4" wide strip of the neoprene around the edge of the bottom of the cutout where it sits on the sink ledge; that prevents up/down rattle. Also used the neoprene between the sink rim and the counter as a sealant/gasket. Adding neoprene in both places also ensures cutout is not higher than counter.

Tap Property Sink Plant Water

Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Wood Automotive design Bag

·
Registered
345 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts