Thanks much... will wait and see!
Nice work! Any photos of inside of the box with all the equipment installed?Ok so onto Operation house battery....... the lights arrived today but it was full steam ahead on the house batteries.
So my needs were that I wished to stay away from solar at this point as I’d just personally sooner have the alternator do the work or the odd time have the ability for shore power to charge and/or maintain my house Batteries. The beauty of this is it will also charge the Van batteries and even start the van from my house batteries if they ever die an unexpected death while on a trip in the middle of nowhere.
So I purchased
2 x 6 Volt 220 AH AGM batteries
Xantrex 40 amp Smartcharge 2
Xantrex Smartcharge 2 Remote
200 amp Bi-Directional switch w/ aux start option
Samlex 1500 watt Pure Sine inverter
Blue Sea ST Blade Fuse Block
4 gauge battery cable Red and Black
Battery terminals & 4 gauge eyelets and crimped my own cables
2 x 150 amp resettable breakers
1 x 100 amp resettable breaker
And an existing 13 amp Noco plug to attach to shore power and to hook the 120 volts to the smart charger.
So first off I set about building a battery box out of aluminum extrusion and it sat in a somewhat wasted space between my drivers seat and my toolbox.
1/4 plywood and carpeted the front and will carpet and make a top panel once I finish all the wiring and fitting the Xantrex smart charge2 , Samlex inverter and the Blue Sea Fuse Block inside it.
The first was to run a 12 volts positive cable off the stock batteries under the drivers seat to the first 150 amp breaker. You can see it in the picture on the back of the seat pedestal This allows you to hit the button on the breaker and completely separate the two systems from each other.
The next step is running another 4 gauge cable from the 150 amp breaker to the 200 amp bi directional switch seen further toward the wall near the bottom of the seat. It’s relatively smart as it will only charge the house batteries once the Van batteries have reached 13.2 volts. It then starts charging the house batteries and the van falls below 12.8 volts it disconnects from the house batteries and just concentrates on charging the Van batteries.
Top view of Battery box
So today was a success as I made it as far as hooking the two 6 volts together in series and tying them all into the bi directional switch and through the 150 amp breaker. Fired the van up and heard the click of the separator and it was sending juice to the house system ..... no burning , no smoke , no boom , no batteries blowing up and my pale white skin is all intact.
Tomorrow will be wiring the Xantrex and the Samlex to all work and tying in all my other power needs to the house batteries. More chance for boom , smoke and fire.
I'm glad I found your build thread. Bravo!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Great ideas for toy hauling! Really like the mini bulkhead & L-track everywhere. Motos & mountain bikes are my cargo.
I'm considering L-track to mount a 2-person crew seat to the floor. Can you share details of how you secured L-track to floor?
Thanks again & Happy Holidays!
Thank you for including the detail photos of the seat base and external cable routing. The grounding cable is just visible to the side of the seat base in one of the photos. Out of curiosity, where did you ultimately connect the grounding cable?
Great build and enjoyed reading. questions:
Did I read correctly that you only used the wall and ceiling kit as a template in order to cut your own panels? If so, I do understand why from reading. Also if so, what did you do with them...still have them?
Where did you source the "mini aluminum extrusion bulkhead"? Can you post a pic of how you attached this to the L track?
I am loving this build. Question on the L-track... are those vertical pieces adding support? Or are they serving another purpose? I am debating picking up the Adventure Wagon L-track brackets, but I don't necessarily need vertical L-track. Is it safe to mount directly to the van like that and have the bed + ~2 people's weight?The white looks very clean and tidy Roscoe.
Well a few more pictures from today's progress
Finished the drivers side lower wall. I'm going to build some sort of a shelf near the door to make use of the space where the body line flares in there.
Finished the passenger side lower wall too.
now to work my way upward on the walls while still retaining as mush space as possible so I'll retain the window sill area and then sheet and carpet a window cover and go back to the 1/8 plywood covered in carpet for the window surround.
I just wanted to use 1/2 ply for the lower kick panels and it matches the L track.
Still didn't instal he mudflaps. Might have to tell work that my Pretenda-nitis is flaring up and I won't be available tomorrow. loving working on this van and loving spending time with my father doing it.
And last but not least thanks to orton I will have a footwell transition piece for the sliding door now.