Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've searched here and looked at great length while I waited for my Transit to arrive and I took possession of my 148 extended High roof roughly a week and a half ago so logic says start the construction!

My previous van was a Ford Econoline with a raised roof and once you have a raised roof for hauling motorcycles you never go back.

Here's the van the day I purchased it

Here's the interior as it was when delivered ...... Bare !

First run for building materials to build this MotoVan

Floor installed and half of the walls done

Walls complete

Roof installed

I know it's just a start , more to come and I'll keep you posted.

The particulars , the floor kit , walls and ceiling are all from Westcan Manufacturing and I'd give it a 6 out of 10 , can't say I was super impressed with their design for everything and plenty of work will be had redoing much of what was installed using their panels as a rough template. I can't say I'll be buying anything else from them in the future the way I see it. Vote with your dollars I guess.

Poor van hasn't even had a bike in it yet.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The particulars , the floor kit , walls and ceiling are all from Westcan Manufacturing and I'd give it a 6 out of 10 , can't say I was super impressed with their design for everything and plenty of work will be had redoing much of what was installed using their panels as a rough template. I can't say I'll be buying anything else from them in the future the way I see it. Vote with your dollars I guess.
It's interesting how they did cutouts on the ceiling, at support beam ends, which allows the panels to not have to curve so much at the ends. First time I've seen that.

Not even a cargo floor mat or wheel well covers! First time I've seen that, too.

The cargo interior looks good, from here. If it holds up ok, maybe stick with it.

What fasteners are being used? They don't look like the black plastic push fasteners we're more familiar with. Moreover, how do the fasteners at the ends of the roof supports work, since I don't recall any factory 9-10mm holes, there. Or, do none of the fasteners use factory holes, at all?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Doesn't look so bad to me either. The idea of having all these pre-cut pieces sounds awful inviting. I'm curious what you don't like about the kit. I went on their website but did not notice any pricing. Care to share what the cost was?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Doesn't look so bad to me either. The idea of having all these pre-cut pieces sounds awful inviting. I'm curious what you don't like about the kit. I went on their website but did not notice any pricing. Care to share what the cost was?

Thanks.
Don't know about OP's cost. But, I had seriously considered spending $2400 on wall, floor, ceiling kit sold by Inlad. My DIY job cost me half that, even using expensive Celtec ($91 a sheet).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The kit uses self tapping screws for the wall panels and roof everywhere and sadly none of the factory mounting threaded inserts were used. Only about 4 pre-drilled holes didn't line up with anything. That part was pretty good planning considering the amount of pre drilled holes.

I was about $1400 Canadian for the kit itself.

I would have used the original rubber floor mat or panels if the van had come with them and made wooden panels myself as I have done in past van builds. But it was the lack of any of this that had me opt out for the kit.

I guess my dis-satisfaction comes from the fact the panels are pre cut and for the most part radius's are the correct angles but in some places are inches from fitting correctly. The work was done but it would have been so much easier to have them fit better.

This picture kinda shows how the angles are right but the panel could continue another 4 inches to seal itself up , or even close so you could insulate behind it.

There are a few panels I will just remove and re-make all together like the furthest front roof panel as I won't be able to insulate it with the 4 inch gaps.

I hope this doesn't sound too nit picky and I'm sure if it was just a plumbing trades van this kit would be perfect ........ I guess I just want it to be better and so I'll try and improve further on it. I'll also enjoy doing it as everything van related is usually fun or fun related. Don't want it to sound all bad

I'm going to rip the bottom of all the wall sheets from roughly 2 feet from the floor and instal e track then just use these pieces as a guide for the panels I will make. The walls will then be carpeted and hopefully it will all look great. E-track wise and carpet will look something like my old Econoline shown here.

Only KTM people would have appreciated the old tile job haha

Way more to come and I don't want to dwell on the fit but it might save another member some aggravation if they want a good fit.

I posted this in the wanted section too but I'm looking for a few trim pieces to fit this kit as my van didn't come with the rear plastic piece when you open the rear doors or the plastic footwell at the slider. There is a step but no transition up to the floor.

I only mention in case others may have eliminated these and wished to sell them.

The floor kit I purchased is somewhat dependent on these pieces being present for a proper fit. This I would not consider being a fault with their kit just that they weren't present in this van the way it was ordered.

Here's the fit the way it sits now without them.

My apologies for the logwinded post.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Wow, this is great information, not longwinded at all. This is exactly what I was looking for.
Mine has the factory floor and wheel well covers. I didn't want the factory floor cover but since it's there I probably keep it as is until it's worn out or damaged.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just threw a few bikes in there to see how they fit in a few different configurations. Two forward and one backwards is no issue in the rear portion of the van and could do 2 or 3 more in front of those if needed.

On a crappy note , got passed by a dodge truck yesterday whose spare tire broke free from under the box as he passed me and bounced into my van just in front of the drivers side rear wheel. Nothing like needing bodywork with a 2 week old vehicle.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
On a crappy note , got passed by a dodge truck yesterday whose spare tire broke free from under the box as he passed me and bounced into my van just in front of the drivers side rear wheel. Nothing like needing bodywork with a 2 week old vehicle.
Ouch, that is rotten. Your insurance, or Dodge guy? Assuming he was not oblivious to all this.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should be going against his insurance , but like anything insurance related I'll believe it when I see it. Got pictures of everything , so I can't really see it going any other way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I have an appointment date for body work and trim pieces to be fixed , haven't heard anything negative from the insurance company so we're hoping Dodgy doesn't happen.

So back to the Van build , which has been totally ongoing yet took a few steps backwards with the original WestCan pre fab kit I purchased

So I ripped it almost all out and started fresh :)

Used Reflectix insulation everywhere I could for starters

Then ordered 9 X 100" sections of L track and a bunch of 1/8"and 1/2" plywood , a ton of stainless hardware , carpet and started going to town from the floor up on building a van I'd be proud of.

Started running L Track vertically to tie into the center line then started cutting panels and carpeting them to get an idea of how the lower half would look.

Should have some more pictures tomorrow and hoping the bottom line of the van should be closer to completion.

Got in my new Weather Teck mud flaps yesterday in the mail too but have yet to instal them.

Good fun building an adventure van

·
Registered
369 Posts
What kind of ramp do you use to load your bikes? Are you happy with it? Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I normally used a single bi-fold ramp in my old wan that was maybe 12" wide but I just purchased a tri-fold 16"( fold out to 50"wide) ramp that's got a better capacity rating. The new one is rated for 1750 lbs and although my heaviest bike would be a 990 adventure I was always a tad worried that the ramp could go pear shaped and I'd end up somewhere underneath it :)

Most of my stuff is just dirtbike but I figured new van , new ramp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice job! I'm trying to fit work shelves ,work bench ,KTM, and somewhere to sleep...hahah, I found the polycarbonate panels that ford uses stock on the side sliding door .I may do all the walls and ceiling with them ,there 6mm thick corrugated plastic cardboard type panels lightweight and strong.
.I found and installed some 4mm thick corregated plastic panels that they had at the Homedepot ,I only did the lower panels ,they only carried the 36"x70" panels ,so I could only do the bottom ,the tops are like 42"x52" so the 36"x70" wont work ,but there too thin anyway...I'm going to order the thicker 6 mm panels online

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The white looks very clean and tidy Roscoe.

Well a few more pictures from today's progress

Finished the drivers side lower wall. I'm going to build some sort of a shelf near the door to make use of the space where the body line flares in there.

Finished the passenger side lower wall too.

now to work my way upward on the walls while still retaining as mush space as possible so I'll retain the window sill area and then sheet and carpet a window cover and go back to the 1/8 plywood covered in carpet for the window surround.

I just wanted to use 1/2 ply for the lower kick panels and it matches the L track.

Still didn't instal he mudflaps. Might have to tell work that my Pretenda-nitis is flaring up and I won't be available tomorrow. loving working on this van and loving spending time with my father doing it.

And last but not least thanks to orton I will have a footwell transition piece for the sliding door now.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Question about the reflectix and most effective way to install it. On my ceiling it is attached with double sided tape and then taped to the ribs. On my sides under the factory panels I taped it but left some air gaps under where the window would be. Wonder if I should have put it tight against the metal sides? I thought an air gap might be ok.

Otherwise like the metal track and carpet look a lot!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not sure if it's right , or effective but I used 3M spray adhesive to attach it to the body. The window'ish openings I just cut it to fit inside the lip.

I also used pink insulation between the Reflectix and the 1/2 covered plywood. It in itself would have held the Reflectix in place but that was how I did it and by no means is it right but it made sense at be time and I live in a very very dry climate ......... Like popcorn fart dry.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More update pictures , roof is the only thing left of the pre fab kit previously purchased and its next to go too.

Need to finish the top of the passenger side

Then the roof will come down , I'll make new panels and there won't be any cut outs at the top of the walls and I'll instal the Maxxair fan.

I talked to a buddy today and I was going to make 1/4 plywood window inserts and carpet them but I now might make them out of aluminum instead. I can get sheets of aluminum at a decent price and they would offer more protection from a handlebar stab and look good with the aluminum L Track.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts