Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Moto / adventure build

8K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Deano 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been lurking on this board for a couple years, and with nothing to do on this Saturday night I figured I'd finally post some photos of my (slow) build progress.

I ordered this van back in January 2019, and picked it up in April from Quigley in PA. It's been slow-going, as I am not talented with wood-work and rely on my friend for help with each project. I've taken the "save up for it, then do it" approach so I don't go into debt. Debt is bad.

I've taken a bunch of trips over the last two years and love it. The end goal is to be able to put my adventure bike in and use it as a base camp for the times I don't feel like putting in long miles on the bike. It's also my daily driver.

Thank you to this forum and everyone on it. It's been an awesome resource.

2019 148 MR Quigley

1. Drove the van back to Oregon from Quigley in PA and immediately swapped out rims and tires. Also paid Van Specialties to put a window in. The one and only time I've paid a company to do something.

2. The ol' fan install with Hein's adapter.

3. Installed L-track top and bottom, and CNC'd a template for the floor using a CAD file found on this forum!

4. Made some tweaks to the CAD file after fitting the template, and did a final run for the base floor (which is laying on top of mini-cell foam from Hein). Stole the IKEA bed frame idea from livelikepete.com.

5. Put in the charcoal Loncoin 2 (which is insanely expensive and heavy).

6. Started on insulation, which is Thinsulate from Hein (of course).

7. Made a template for some L-track to put through the floor. My idea is to have two rows in the rear of the van for slider drawers, and then a few smaller pieces up front for wheel chocks.

8. Wired a temporary panel to the CCP for the Dometic CX55.

9. Got a covid puppy and went camping for the weekend (had to sneak her in here!).

10. Installed the rear L-track through the floor. You can see the mini-cell foam here under the floor.

See less See more
#2 ·
11. Added a little temporary support for the extended floor, because friends would keep stepping on this area and it drove me crazy.

12. Created a template for the back of an electric box.

13. Starting to build out "the box". The goal here is to keep it as thin as possible, using the pillars and the L track as support. The box will be completely removable.

14. Piecing the box together...

15. Got the round corners in and wrapped it with "carbon fiber" tolex.

16. Laying out the components. Installed three rivnuts to secure the box to the van wall. This thing is locked in really well, but remove those 3 screws and the whole box slides out from under the L-track lip easily.

17. Made the door, and added the user-facing bits. Went with some locking, heavy duty latches to make it a pain in the ass for anyone to break into. Those batteries were expensive!

18. Hinging the door

19. The box in all her glory!

20. The box, installed. Really happy with this. Just need to finish wiring up the inside.

#19 ·
21. Another angle.

Dang, nice work! I think you've inspired me to do similar for electrical, since we have a lot in common, already--Quigley, Ultra Toils, CRL T-window. I have the same vision for a floor layout with the dual L-Tracks, but will likely do it in conjunction with 1" insulation. We had to go up a little more for the family.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

#12 ·
You are doing what I plan to do, unfortunately my wood work skills are no where near as good as yours. fwiw, I am going to buy a router and a table and learn how to use it.

I ride mostly BMWs, but these days my van will be carrying my Honda CB500X or my BMW Xchallenge.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for sleeping arrangements... it is really tough to have the bike and a bed that you can sleep well on while parked at WalMart on long hauls.

Below is where I got with my Sprinter T1N before I let things get away from me and bought a new Transit 350HD AWD Crew Cab. I bought the Sprinter with a fairly decent conversion that was already done, and the bike would not fit so I pulled them on a trailer. But that gets to be a total pita so I tore out the left half and started work on fitting the bike. Ultimately, I am going to use a winch and pull the bike in backwards so that the handlebars are toward the rear.

I bought this ramp after trying the single-rail one I've had since my dirt bike days. I could not make the step up into the van. Getting old (and fat) sucks....

Following....

#20 ·
Love the build , I use mine for the same purpose.

I’ve also used the IKEA Skorva bed rails in mine too. I’m also curious how you mounted the bed rails to the L-Track , I know how I did mine but there’s always a better way to skin a cat.
Nice looking van!

I went with the same method as that LiveLikePete blog. Angle iron, and the heavy duty multi lug L track connectors. I’ll try to get a picture here soon, I don’t think I have any laying around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.