Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been communicating with the Ford Brand Group this past week on some of the details on the CrewVan model. Some things we are discussing NOW that would like your comments on if you are thinking about ordering this particular model.

1) The CrewVan package will be offered in all 3 roof heights and all 3 wheelbases with the 148" Extended Body only offered in the HR model.

2) The interior packages will be matching to what is ordered as part of the front seats. With each of the ordered seats, there will be a interior upgrade charge based on which front seats you order. The base seats for the CrewVan will be the Pewter Vinyl with a Level 2 package being the Cloth seats (with a added charge) and a Level 3 being the Leather seats (which will have their own charge)

3) Trying to decide which of the 3 passenger seats will be offered for the CrewVan package. The 2 available seats are the 54" 3 passenger seat NOW in the LWB passenger van with a RH armrest or the 62" 3 passenger seat that would not have a armrest since that seat is right over the inside step of the side door. The armrest can be added if that seat is the one used for the setup. Using the same floor connecting pattern as in the current passenger van, there may be a way to remove the 3 passenger seat and replace it with a 36" seat but not as a factory alternative but outside after the purchase of the vehicle.

4) The bulkhead behind the 2 second row seat may become a standard feature of the CrewVan package. If so, looking for it to be easily removable without disturbing the floor or roof areas. It may be offered as a option where the dealer can choose what kind of bulkhead can be installed by a upfitter who would do it outside the plant area where all of the Transit upfitters currently have locations near the Transit plant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I may not know any better but I think 62” would be better for three adults

Or two separate seats

If bulkhead is easily removable that would be fine.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you can find a LWB Transit passenger van, look how that seat fits based on the area around the side door. The 54" seat gives you a few extra inches before the step-in area whereas the 62" seat comes out over it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would really love the wider 2 person bench as an option for 2nd row. Otherwise I’m just going to end up swapping it out.

Would order leather upgrade.

Hoping for wagon trim up to and including 2nd row.

Basically I want a wagon with only a 2 person bench for 2nd row and airbags that stop at bench. But if Crew has everything up to that I would order.

For me it’s going to be about timing, whichever AWD is available first is what I would buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would really love the wider 2 person bench as an option for 2nd row. Otherwise I’m just going to end up swapping it out.

Would order leather upgrade.

Hoping for wagon trim up to and including 2nd row.

Basically I want a wagon with only a 2 person bench for 2nd row and airbags that stop at bench. But if Crew has everything up to that I would order.

For me it’s going to be about timing, whichever AWD is available first is what I would buy.
Same for me, 2 persons bench would be my ideal configuration, with front swivel seats.
3 person seats is to wide I find for a van conversion, the space is limited between the bench and the sliding door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to get a crew van for a conversion. 148" regular length, high roof. Would probably opt for leather seats. Would DEFINITELY want the 54" 2nd row bench so getting to the rear will be easier. Do not want the bulkhead. And please allow for swivel seat option!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The Ford Brand Group has been telling me they think that 3 passenger seat will be the 62" seat and I am trying to convince them it would be better with the 54" seat.

I need more input from forum members who might want to order this CrewVan model so I can make it happen.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We put in the 3-person 54" seat in our cargo van for our two kids:

Advantages: can fit an extra kid if we need to chauffeur friends (vs. 2 person);
we can use the space between the slider and bench to carry long items;
lighter than a 62", but still weighs a ton;
we can walk past the 2nd row to access the back w the slider closed (biggest advantage).

Disadvantages: probably not big enough for 3 adults;
Not long enough for our son to sleep across when he gets older/taller (we currently put down a mattress over the bench).

I think the advantages of a 54" over a 62" (or 2 person bench) outweigh the disadvantages. My two cents.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
The Ford Brand Group has been telling me they think that 3 passenger seat will be the 62" seat and I am trying to convince them it would be better with the 54" seat.

I need more input from forum members who might want to order this CrewVan model so I can make it happen.
While you are talking to them please ask why they put 16 holes in the roof of a high roof not extended. Easy to understand the 8 for a roof rack but the other 8 are dumb IMO. Just additional water leakage possibilities. I had one leak. Also found it very easy to punch a hole in the thin roof wherever I wanted a hole. I wanted to install the solar cable entries into the van under the solar panel so none of the holes were located where I wanted them.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ghostshaper

Can you take a picture of your 54" seat so more forum members can see how it is placed in the van and how it is setup for entry to the rear of the van?

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you are going to hall a crew of five, the wider bench would be better.

If you are going to do a van conversion and leave the seats in, the duald seat seems better

i saw the westfalia nugget layout and it looked pretty cool but you might as well do

a dual seat, i don't see how three could really set in that seat

the 54" is probably the best compromise after thinking about this and measuring some other things

54" is just a tad wider than the rear seats in our subaru outback, which fits 2 and a smaller person.

I wouldn't put three big guys back there.

So the crew van with the 54" set really becomes a four passenger vehicle for adults in my mind and should be fairly comfortable for longer trips for that width.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you can't get to the back, I would not be interested.

Epps

·
Registered
5 Posts
this looks liker the wider 3 seat bench?

I could see the utility in this. What would be really important is for it to be easy to remove.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My vote is for the 54" seat. Make it easy to remove, and all floor brackets be at/below floor level. Thanks CrewVanMan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
54” bench is advantageous when you have no rear passengers because you have space to get to the back.
54” bench is advantageous when you have 1 rear passenger because it’s comfortable and you have space to get to the back.
54” bench is advantageous when you have 2 rear passengers because it’s comfortable and you have space to get to the back.
54” bench is advantageous when you have 3 smaller rear passengers because it’s comfortable and you have space to get to the back.
Only when you have 3 large passengers, the 62” bench wins on comfort, but still loses on access to the back, so it’s a draw.

On the whole, 54” is going to be better for more people, more often.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Three seats and a window behind the driver are requirements of my HOA to allow parking out of garage. I'll never use the rear seats and they will sit in storage after I get my HOA decal so smaller is better (54"). This setup will allow me to get a mid-roof like my sold Sprinter passenger van. My current low roof fits in the garage but is quite claustrophobic in use. Do not want bulkhead and would prefer not to pay for one and then remove it. I carry dogs and my current setup with rear a/c works great. But I miss the roof height of the Sprinter.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts