Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd they call the feature "right side shifter", but here's from their press release.

"An optional center console with right-side shifter further improves walkthrough and offers more than 7 inches of additional driver legroom."

Anywho, here are screen grabs of the current (top right corner) and RSS. You think they'd remove the power holes that are in the 'before' picture?

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
This would be great for us, Wifey uses the seat all the way up in her van and frequently we pull up somewhere and she gets out and then I move to the driver's seat to park, which is challenging. Having that little extra clearance would be a joy.
edit: but then again her stubby arms might not reach the shifter, lol :unsure:

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the whole concept of a giant PRNDL shift lever like this is so outdated in my opinion. Why do we need this? get rid of the **** thing
The rest of the world still has manual trannies so I'm guessing as long as that's the case, we'll have giant shift levers which are identical in size and location.

The e van just has a little knob.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
the whole concept of a giant PRNDL shift lever like this is so outdated in my opinion. Why do we need this? get rid of the **** thing
Yeah, just a small lever next to the air vent would be sufficient. Especially if it's drive-by-wire and not mechanically connected to anything. Something like my old Corvair Powerglides.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ever driven a 19+ sprinter with the tiny little "blinker" stalk to shift. i #$^& hate it. feel its gonna break off with my finger tip touch everytime. rotary dials dont do it for me either

·
Registered
828 Posts
The rest of the world still has manual trannies so I'm guessing as long as that's the case, we'll have giant shift levers which are identical in size and location.

The e van just has a little knob.
If I could get a Diesel with a manual transmission that runs right in the US I could forgive it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It’s nearly (but not quite) a moot point. From the 2021 order guide:
Center Console with Right-Side Shifter.....Optional on Cargo Van Medium/High Roof SRW and Cutaway SRW configurations only. Only availble with the 3.5L PFDi V6 (998) engine. Late Availability. Not available with Upfitter Package (67C),

·
Registered
533 Posts
Huh, suddenly I don't fee like I missed out. I don't like the idea of reaching over that far to access the shifter when driving in manual. Plus, from what I can tell you really can't swivel the driver's seat while sitting in it if you're any kind of tall or big because the seat has to be in just the right forward and tilt position to fully swivel with the door closed, and apparently it's bad on the bearings with some swivels.

But I do like the concept of being able to park and immediately swivel around facing the rear. Just not sure it's solved entirely by this.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't follow. What "power holes"? I did notice that in the second image you posted they removed the gas pedal and the brake!
LOL - yeah, I guess with no gas pedal, at best you can idle along.

Power holes are holes which have power inside them: 12v cigarette lighter and USB port.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me try again...

You think they'd remove the power holes [in the 2021 version of that van; the ones] that are in the 'before' picture?

I still don't understand. Why would you expect them to remove the cigarette and USB outlets in the 2020 picture? They exist on that model.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,997 Posts
Sorry, still don't get it. Standard shifter gets the USB and 12 volt in those locations. Right side shifter does not. Looks right to me. Not sure why they would remove them from the picture?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EXACTLY!! Do you think people will be upset that there are two fewer charging options now? Seems like a significant reduction in the percent of plugs available. Do they move them somewhere else instead?

Sorry, still don't get it. Standard shifter gets the USB and 12 volt in those locations. Right side shifter does not. Looks right to me. Not sure why they would remove them from the picture?

·
Registered
2020 Cargo T-350 LWB HR EB on order...
199 Posts
If I could get a Diesel with a manual transmission that runs right in the US I could forgive it.
Yes! I couldn’t agree more!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts