Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Finished the day early today so I put in an hour or two installing some Noico sound deadening in the van. Most of the coverage will be with 80 mil, the wheel wells will get a second layer of 150 mil that I have left over from another project. While the cargo lights are great for finding things I'm already finding they are too harsh, I recall others have repurposed them. It's clear that warmer temperature lighting is something we will want for day to day use, something I will need to explore down the road.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It's been a busy month so I haven't had much of an update. I've more or less finished the sound deadening and insulation at this stage of the build, just dropped off my van to have the Smartfloor and seats installed. Should be ready for pick up next week.

My 4 windows, Maxxfan and swivel seats have finally arrived. I am waiting on warmer weather and still debating on the fan installation location before I secure the thinsulate to the roof.

I am hoping my VC Lift Kit and Falcon Shocks arrive in the next 2 weeks, but I will be working on my bed platform as soon as I get the van back with a proper floor.

Reactions: SION1771

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
We have a floor!

I am debating on ordering some rubber filler strips to cover the L Track but at 3$/ft its not that attractive..... I am mostly concerned because we have a dog. But I guess a cheap area carpet will do for now.

Reactions: andyl

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
481 Posts
CONGRATS!! Looks gorgeous!

Ours won't have the fancy metal trim on the edges, I'm told - that's an installer thing.

What floor did you get? Do you know if they 1. glued it all down 2. cut out strips then 3. installed the L-track or.... did they 1. cut strips to width 2. glue them down 3. install the L-track? Our floor is 6' wide and the van is 6'6" wide so if they don't take advantage of the extra space from the l-track, it won't go all the way across. LOL

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This was the Smart Floor. I’m not sure what process they went through but I can ask. I was told everything was pre cut based on the floor drawing design they used. If they don’t utilize the full width of the van I’d ask for my money back. The only reason they didn’t go full length in the van was because of the spare tire access.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The Smart Floor installation video does it by putting all the vinyl down then cutting out the bits for mounting the rails. They even boast 'it's very easy to achieve a straight line simply by using the channels as a guide.'

We went for our own flooring (so add another $500 to our installation expense versus yours), which is the right thickness and length, but not necessarily the right width. It's workable but that might add time into the installation process.

Also, were only getting six rails.

This was the Smart Floor. I’m not sure what process they went through but I can ask. I was told everything was pre cut based on the floor drawing design they used. If they don’t utilize the full width of the van I’d ask for my money back. The only reason they didn’t go full length in the van was because of the spare tire access.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would definitely recommend getting the rubber covers for the L Track, it’s not the most comfortable to walk on barefoot or with thin socks.

My seats do not recline, I immediately regret this and have asked if I can swap mine for ones that do and pay the difference. The arms rest that were additional IMO are not worth the extra expense it’s just injection modeled plastic and I think their functionality is worse than the ones that ones with the transit. If your a bigger person your elbow will be too far forward to utilize them. Should be okay for children or really slender folks,

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Interesting - thanks for the feedback. Sucks there are so few people on the forums with the SmartFloor installed - I think you're the third consumer I'm aware of who has it (the other two are Sprinters).

Arm rests are nearly $200 per pair in what I was quoted. I wonder if they're a standard bolt pattern and upgradable?

Here are two options for L-track covering:

This 2.5" wide and should cover the whole flanged track width ($1.70/foot) though I'm a little concerned that width might get frumpy at the edges and be a trip hazard.
uscargocontrol.com/Airline-Track-Filler-10FT

Or this at $1.78/foot which comes in 25' rolls so you can cut them down to length versus the 10' strips above (which will have some l-track peeking out at one end).
unityparts.com/fe200751-sure-lok-black-plastic-filler-strip-for-l-track-25/

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I would highly not recommend the arm rests, it was $500 for 2 pairs. Its just simple molded plastic that's bolted on the side of the seat. Depending on the price difference if it isn't a hassle I will see if I can switch to the Easy XL Seats.

I ordered the second style of L Track Filler, the one from Grainger's. We just got back from our first use of the van with floor with 2 dogs going for a walk, there's already a bunch of dirt in the tracks.

One thing to note is that there isn't really a transition from where the floor starts behind the front two seats, so I will need to figure that out. Might just place a piece of wood there or something because its quite a trip hazard if someone its trying to move from the front seats to the back. You will also need the rear trim piece if you want a complete look since the smartfloor stops just before the spare tire access.

Also all the factory cargo tie down points need to be removed other than the ones above the wheel well and directly behind the front passenger seat.

I did test out all of my L Track Mounts and the ones I got from US Cargo Control all fit in my loose L Track and the Smart Floor System so I am super happy about that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Installed some more L track throughout the van, I will be using this for our removable bed platform which was inspired by livelikepete (Live Like Pete | Travel Light, Go Farther, Do More). I used some of the existing factory holes and drilled some of my own. I used 1/4-20 Plus Nuts with the Astro Tool, very simple.

After installing the L Track, I used the Ikea Skorva Beams for the main support for the bed. I wanted to increase the height of my garage space so I bought L Brackets from Home Depot and connected them to my L track fittings.

I wanted to do a 3 panel design however I ran out of L track fittings, which I now have on order. We are doing our first overnight in the van tomorrow so I am just going to throw some plywood on top for now for our mattress.

The plywood, skorva beam, and L bracket are secured by a threaded knob that I purchased from Lee Valley. I drilled a hole through all three layers and then installed a 1/4-20 Plus Nut in the L bracket, I was lucky that the threaded knobs already came in 1/4-20.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Dang! That's like over 100' of L-track! I thought I was splurging with 100"!

Reactions: Cyrull

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Dang! That's like over 100' of L-track! I thought I was splurging with 100"!
I'm still planning to install some on the top for cabinets. Similar to the AdWag Kit, not sure if I need them on the ceiling/roof like I've seen in other photo's though?

When I have some time I will likely swap out the L Track I have on the wall for the flanged one, I think it will look cleaner when I eventually make some wall panels.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's been a busy week!

Van Compass Topo Lift with red coils were installed, including the rear shock relocation brackets, Falcon Shocks and intercooler skid plate.

We decided to swap out the tires as well to BFG K02's in 265 which required some trimming, I still get a bit of rub in full lock but its not too bad. The full size spare is now on the rear door after having the Aluminess rear tire carrier installed.

Our 4 AM Auto windows were also installed, 2 fullsize windows and 2 slider windows and our Maxx Fan!

Ride quality I feel has improved but my van was pretty light on the way home, road noise has increase a bit. The biggest notable change so far is the impact on fuel economy, which I estimate around 15-20%.

Absolutely love the windows, they look very clean and I'm very happy with the functionality of the sliders. I think I prefer this model much more vs the T-Vent windows.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Got some Nomar Bunk Bags that I saw someone else using, pretty happy with these so far! They look and feel quite durable and are quick detach either with a locking tab or velcro.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts