Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Our build date for our van was a few days ago with an expected delivery in the next few weeks, I've been humming and hawing over design ideas so I would like to hear your thoughts of my concepts based on our application. We have a 2020 T-250 AWD, CARGO HR, LONG 3.5 Ecoboost w/PSD and almost all the other options.

Vehicle Application: Kind of a do everything, off grid adventures, people/stuff hauler, long ass medical appointments. Essentially a tiny home on wheels, but we won't be in it full time (a few days to several weeks).

We looked into RV's, we looked into Accessible Motorhomes, Accessible Vans, and they just didn't do the things we wanted it to do and I was not impressed with the build quality based on the price points offered. We are coming from a 4x4 E350 Quigley, the Transit feels like a Cadillac by comparison.

Background: This will be for 2 adults plus 1 medium sized dog, 60-75% of time, I would like it to seat at least 3/4, and if it could sleep 3/4 that would be ideal as well. My wife has a moderate-rapid declining health condition which has a significant impact on her mobility, balance, and has general aches and pains all the time (Comfort is important). She currently can walk unassisted 30-40% of the time the rest she uses a walker. She will likely need a wheelchair down the road but should be able to get in and out of a traditional van with some assistance for now. This will play a part on our travel style and we decided that we didn't really need a high clearance 4x4 anymore and it wasn't all that practical to get in and out of for her.

Due to her condition, we have a very limited window of "good years" left to travel so my design is to get the van ready/comfortable as quickly as possible so we can hit the road (Spring/Summer of 2021). We have the disposable income to get this completely converted by an up fitter but it seems like it would take longer for something custom and it's hard to swallow the $$$. While I enjoy doing DIY, I just don't have the time to do this myself working full time and being a full time caregiver so I will likely need to farm out a lot of this work or buy pre-designed equipment.

If anyone has similar medical issues or is an older traveler your perspective would be greatly appreciated, while we are in our 30's my wife is essentially trapped in the body of a senior citizen.

I will be bringing over the following items from our old rig:

220 AGM DIY Battery Box
ARB 50 Fridge
180W Solar Suitcase
Portable Diesel Furnace
Step Stool
Recover Gear (Air Compressor, Straps, Soft Shackles, Traction Boards, Shovel, etc)
Luggable Loo (Will probably upgrade to something like a Porta Potti)
Camping/Cooking Gear

Some other items that I am not going to go too much detail in are I plan to have at least 2 windows, one on the slider and one directly behind the drivers seat,
swivel seats and a MaxxFan.

This is my current inspiration and what I envision what our interior would like like in terms of layout and functionality. Our bed platform will be lower than pictured, likely on the lower L- Track just below the window (waist height).

So in order to get this ready as quick as possible I am looking to combine a variation of pre-made products.

Interior Trim:

Adventure Wagon Ford Transit Conversion Kit (DOES NOT INCLUDE A FLOOR)

Bed System:
Adventure Wagon Ford transit MOAB Bed + L-Track System

OR

Travois Rock n Roll Bed (I would only get this if I can get get the floor)

Ideally I would like to get both everything listed above but depending on cost and availability I might just opt for one or the other for now.

Floor System:

Travois Transit Pro Floor

OR

Amf-bruns-mobility

Those are the big items I am looking at, yes I know all these products are pricey and it would be much cheaper to do it myself. I believe this would be the middle ground for DIY to Professional Upfitter and seems to be the most promising option for the timeline I want.

I've contacted all the appropriate suppliers of the above products to get quotes and info on expected delivery, availability will be deciding factor on what components to get.

The Adventure Wagon Kit would be a nice winter project to do assuming I could get it in time for our Spring/Summer departure, if I can't then I will skip it for later down the road. If I can get the MOAB Bed fairly quickly I will likely go this route first so we have a bed platform and some L-track for some internal storage options. Ideally I would like to get both products.

Travois Rock n Roll Bed - This thing is expensive, but it would serve double duty as a seat and a bed. I think I would only get this if I could get the Travois Pro Floor. Unfortunately the 148" Pro Floor is not in stock and they have no idea when they are going to get it (Canada). Based on my responses so far I do not have a lot of confidence Travois will have these products in time.

These is a lot of discussion on this floor/seat which can be found here:

Thanks to @GapRunr & @mgmetalworks for taking the photos.

The other floor option I am looking at is the Amf-bruns-mobility, this system is designed specifically for accessibility needs and from what I can tell has extensive testing. They also test for every seat configuration and seat placement so its quite thorough. Travois Pro Floor also lists testing and that its compliant to Canada's standard but they don't go into a lot of detail about it.

This is what the AMF-Bruns Floor looks like:

I found this recent video about their system and it was very informative, Andreas was the person I contacted about this product and he was very quick to respond to my inquiries and directed me to a local authorized distributer/up fitter. There are more details about this product found in a different forum

There are more details about this product found in a different forum:

From my initial conversation it looks like this AMF System will be around $6k to $10k depending on the number of seats which looks to comparable to Travois. They do indicate that AMF has a 2 person bench seat that folds into a bed but its currently still being pull tested and I have no idea on the price, I suspect it will be around the same price as the Rock n Roll Bed.

Based on the speed of communication and the requisite testing done or publicized I am initially leading towards to AMF System vs Travois.

Would love to hear your thoughts! If anyone knows of other builds that have modularity and accessibility in mind I would love to take a look at those.

Cheers!

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
Between the two options of the Travois floor or the Amf-bruns-mobility Smartfloor I'd pick the Smartfloor if you have the funds for it as it is more expensive, but I believe it is worth it. The Travois is a nice product, but in Canada it is almost unavailable and when I emailed them with a list of questions they replied with vague answers to a couple of the questions and avoided the other ones. After several emails back and forth and not getting enough information about the product, ordering options, measurements, etc. I gave up and went in another direction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure about Canada but we are down the road from travois in Los osos, CA. I joined the waitlist the first time I talked to them for the pro floor, can’t remember how long ago that was but it has to have been at least a couple months. We have never been decided on it because it is expensive and wasn’t exactly what we wanted but I was hoping to have the option if it became available. Last I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago they still didn’t have any idea when we would be able to get a floor. We ended up going a different route. Every time I talked to travois they seemed to be very honest, helpful, and informative about the fact we were a couple shipping containers away from a floor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Between the two options of the Travois floor or the Amf-bruns-mobility Smartfloor I'd pick the Smartfloor if you have the funds for it as it is more expensive, but I believe it is worth it. The Travois is a nice product, but in Canada it is almost unavailable and when I emailed them with a list of questions they replied with vague answers to a couple of the questions and avoided the other ones. After several emails back and forth and not getting enough information about the product, ordering options, measurements, etc. I gave up and went in another direction.
My experience with Travois Canada has been similar, vague non-committal responses. Despite the Smartfloor being likely more expensive, the initial responses I've gotten so seem very promising compared to Travois, it almost feels like I'm hassling them when I'm trying to give them several thousand dollars of my business.

Not sure about Canada but we are down the road from travois in Los osos, CA. I joined the waitlist the first time I talked to them for the pro floor, can’t remember how long ago that was but it has to have been at least a couple months. We have never been decided on it because it is expensive and wasn’t exactly what we wanted but I was hoping to have the option if it became available. Last I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago they still didn’t have any idea when we would be able to get a floor. We ended up going a different route. Every time I talked to travois they seemed to be very honest, helpful, and informative about the fact we were a couple shipping containers away from a floor.
When I spoke to Travois Canada last week, they said they were busy unloading a container and said they would call me back (they didn't). I really want a modular floor solution but it leaves a bit of a sour taste to chase someone down to give them business. I am hoping to hear back from AMF next week. Travois Canada is also a short 15 minutes drive from me, but the AMF Upfitter here is also around the same distance.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
Travois Canada is also a short 15 minutes drive from me, but the AMF Upfitter here is also around the same distance.
If you want to go to Travois, call first. They are appointment only. Where is the AMF Upfitter around there?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to go to Travois, call first. They are appointment only. Where is the AMF Upfitter around there?
They are in North Vancouver.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
They are in North Vancouver.
Travois Canada is in Ontario, near Hawkesbury, At least that is where they used to be and what is still shown on their web site. I was hoping that there was an AMF Upfitter in that area. I didn't realize that they had an office on the west coast as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Travois Canada is in Ontario, near Hawkesbury, At least that is where they used to be and what is still shown on their web site. I was hoping that there was an AMF Upfitter in that area. I didn't realize that they had an office on the west coast as well.
Oh yes Travois has a Canadian office near Vancouver, I forgot you went to the East Coast one. I was told that the majority of the installer networks are mostly on the West Coast (USA) for AMF. but they are slowly expanding that, I would contact RRE Global to see if they have any partnerships out that way if your interested.

·
Premium Member
2021 R2X high roof long carbonized gray - TURBOCHARGED!
482 Posts
I'm doing almost the exact same setup. I've settled on a mobility installer for the floor/seats and I'm hoping, because there are multiple brands and half a dozen mobility installers around Chicago alone, the price will be a negotiable and more competitive.

Then we'll add the Adventure Wagon kit on top of it. I love to see how crafty others are with their installs, but I'd break things so instead of finding cheaper solutions and having to buy things twice because I broke stuff, I'll just pay more up front for the AdWag kit.

But here's something I found that Ford offers. Not sure if it's for U.S. or N.A., but you can get $1000 back on a mobility install if you qualify (sounds like you do - I don't think we do). That might make the floor install a little more palatable if it's through one of their approved peoples.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doing almost the exact same setup. I've settled on a mobility installer for the floor/seats and I'm hoping, because there are multiple brands and half a dozen mobility installers around Chicago alone, the price will be a negotiable and more competitive.

Then we'll add the Adventure Wagon kit on top of it. I love to see how crafty others are with their installs, but I'd break things so instead of finding cheaper solutions and having to buy things twice because I broke stuff, I'll just pay more up front for the AdWag kit.

But here's something I found that Ford offers. Not sure if it's for U.S. or N.A., but you can get $1000 back on a mobility install if you qualify (sounds like you do - I don't think we do). That might make the floor install a little more palatable if it's through one of their approved peoples.

Thanks! I will certainly look into that. I would really love to hear your results/findings, could you link to the floor/seat solution you are looking at?

Are you doing this as part a versatility/modularity build or is accessibility a factor for you as well?

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Just order the van last week so we have a ways to go. Here are the links I've accumulated on the floor/seats. You'll find them of varying usefulness.
AbiliTrax Van Seating for Wheelchair Vans, Commercial Vans & Passenger Vans
https://www.amfbrunsamerica.com/smartfloor.php
SmartFloor System for Commercial Wheelchair Vans and Transporters
https://www.freedmanseating.com/

Once you find installers, Google will start throwing a lot of ads at you for others in the area that do the service. :)
https://www.fordupfits.com/findanupfitter
https://www.abilitrax.com/find-a-dealer
https://www.freedmanseating.com/dealers/

We're just looking for versatility, which is why I can't imagine we'd qualify for the Ford program.

Thanks! I will certainly look into that. I would really love to hear your results/findings, could you link to the floor/seat solution you are looking at?

Are you doing this as part a versatility/modularity build or is accessibility a factor for you as well?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much for this information, the shift step for the wheel chair looks really neat. It's something we might need down the road but I ordered a PSD with my van wonder if its compatible.

Abilitrax looks interesting, I am wondering how one would clean dirt that gets into those crevices as it looks really deep. Also wondering how cold the floor would with all that exposed metal compared to other track floor solutions.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Yeah, I think they all get cold as it gets cold outside the van because it's a direct path in.

I'm really leaning towards the SmartFloor because it's a similar L-track as the AdvWag kit - though I saw a review on several l-track companies parts and they're not necessarily compatible so I'll cross my fingers. You can put in special rubber strips that cover up the track, so that should help insulate a little. The installer I spoke with said they do a pick truck bedliner spray first, then mount the SmartFloor through that, so there's some insulation and sound dampening there... but I need to do more research on all those options. I have a few months. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think the SmartFloor is insulated. when you look at the floor there are metal baffles throughout the floor which are hollow, I wonder if you can spray foam it to add insulation? It doesn't look like it would have an impact on the L-Track System something I will ask AMF. I believe the L Accessories like tie down points and all that are compatible, but seating solutions are not because of the different track widths.

The Travois Pro Floor is insulated, but they seem to always have supply chain challenges. I will update once I hear back from AMF regarding quotes.

Reactions: SION1771

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
2,262 Posts
The installer I spoke with said they do a pick truck bedliner spray first, then mount the SmartFloor through that, so there's some insulation and sound dampening there... but I need to do more research on all those options. I have a few months. :)
That doesn't sound right to me. I'd check with another installer. The manufacturer of Smartfloor shows that the van floor gets scuffed up first, then a heavy duty adhesive is applied, and the floor is put into place on top of it. I'm not sure if having bed liner in that mix would be a good idea, and could potentially weaken the bond. Or I could be thinking about this completely wrong and maybe the uneven surface of the bedliner improves the bond.

If I was doing the Smartfloor solution I would investigate the idea of putting Thinsulate or microcell strips in the valleys of the van floor, then pulling strips of thinsulate through the slots of the Smartfloor. It won't do much for temperature insulation since there is no thermal break, but it might help keep sound levels down a little.

That was one thing I really liked about the Travois floor. It gave me the impression that it would be a better thermal break from the floor.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That doesn't sound right to me. I'd check with another installer. The manufacturer of Smartfloor shows that the van floor gets scuffed up first, then a heavy duty adhesive is applied, and the floor is put into place on top of it. I'm not sure if having bed liner in that mix would be a good idea, and could potentially weaken the bond. Or I could be thinking about this completely wrong and maybe the uneven surface of the bedliner improves the bond.
This would give me pause as well, from what I've read I haven't seen any mentioned of adding a bedliner to a floor install, I suppose it could be done but I would want to know what impacts it would have on the bond with the adhesive being used.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got my window sticker today :).

Both the Travois and Smartfloor options are still contenders, the Smartfloor is more expensive based on the quotes I've received but it appears the product is in stock vs Travois (a lot cheaper, but no idea on availability). I think I will proceed with the MOAB Bed + Rail Kit and hold off on the Adwag full conversion kit as I was told there might be an issue with fitment since my van comes with PSD.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
@SION1771 I also ended up going with a mobility upfitter, they were actually a fair bit cheaper than using a "van conversion" up fitter and were quite more knowledgeable about the product. I think the biggest saving you will find when shopping around are from the seats/legs. I have opted for the AMF Smartfloor, here are the initial design drawings for my layout. I am going to visit the shop this week to check out the product and get a feel for the seats before putting down my deposit. Another thing to note that once this floor is installed it re-classifies my cargo van to a passenger van .

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
It's been a couple months since I posted the info in post #11 and here's where I'm at in my research.

The only company that manufactures this is SmartFloor. The other companies that I listed either only sell parts (not the track, but belts, accessories, etc.) or install L-track for wheelchair/cargo strap-ins (Q'Straint). It looks like you landed there too, but for documentation's sake, people shouldn't bother going down other avenues to try to get L-track done - it's not crash tested for seated occupants.

I'm also going with a mobility company - lead times are one to five weeks and the hourly rate is $90-$120 around Chicago, plus hardware (that they should have a connection for because if they're not an authorized SmartFloor dealer, I would keep looking).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's finally here!

Reactions: OutsideJack
1 - 20 of 35 Posts