Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Mobile rated solar panels

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Vanpackr 
#1 ·
For DIY campervans, are people using special "mobile" rated solar panels or just the regular residential type that you would find on a house? I don't know if "mobile" rated is even a thing.

I actually installed 3.5kW worth of panels on my house several years ago. 12 x 290 watt panels with microinverters. It was a nice home improvement, very cost effective and easy to install. These 60 cell panels seemed pretty heavy duty when installing, the frames are 31 to 34 mm thick around the edge.

Roof Property Home House Siding
Roof Property Home Technology Sunlight
Roof Snow House Ice Home

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I bought a folding set (4 panels) 120W 18V to use to recharge my 330W portable power station during the daytime while I am camping. I also have a smaller single panel that sits in my windshield and plugs into the cig lighter to trickle the vehicles battery if I needed to use it some. I just put mine out when I need them, not mounted to anything and they fold up into a nice 1.5 foot x 2 foot (2 inch thick) little carry case. Great product. The panel itself has USB slots so you can charge directly from the panel to USB devices if you wanted to.

This is very similar to the one I got.

This is the smaller one I got to sit up on the dash

#4 ·
I'm not sure there is such a thing as mobile rated panels. I've been using rigid panels from Renogy for a while and I've had zero issues. I know they market the same ones for stationary systems also.

I also know several people that have been running Grape brand panels (from Home Depot) for several years with no issues.

#8 ·
I would be more concerned with the road induced vibration. Sure the solar panels for houses need to survive shipping but that is generally a one time event, not everyday like with panels on a vehicle.

#7 ·
This is the only recent complaint about the lower cost rigid solar panels many people buy.

#9 ·
I have not seen any reported increase of failure in the solar panel for RV/Van application. The solar companies are still warranted for the same period of time as those installed in a residential house.

May be it is a good marketing gimmick for a company who is willing to claim their solar panel mobile certified. I am sure people will fall for it. Just look at KN air filter, GNC products, and those energy drinks. :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.