Ford Transit USA Forum banner

121 - 140 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
I am not defending these 50's tech pos bikes but Buffy is right - no self respecting 1%er rides anything other than HD.
Actually, Kinsey said it was a lot more than 1%:

The study also reported that 10% of American males surveyed were "more or less exclusively homosexual for at least three years between the ages of 16 and 55" (in the 5 to 6 range).[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been many a year since I rode street bikes, however - I remember about 1968, I had a CB350 (Honda), and a fellow with a new HD (to him) pulled up beside me - wanting to race. WTF? I'm a dumb 21 year old, so nodded him on.... to make a long story short - this guy is in the right lane, there's a car parked in the right lane - HD guy jams on rear brake - bike swaps ends (physics 101) - hits parked car (about 35mph). Everyone walked away more or less unhurt. Conclusion - Cubic Inches does not equal IQ.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Been many a year since I rode street bikes, however - I remember about 1968, I had a CB350 (Honda), and a fellow with a new HD (to him) pulled up beside me - wanting to race. WTF? I'm a dumb 21 year old, so nodded him on.... to make a long story short - this guy is in the right lane, there's a car parked in the right lane - HD guy jams on rear brake - bike swaps ends (physics 101) - hits parked car (about 35mph). Everyone walked away more or less unhurt. Conclusion - Cubic Inches does not equal IQ.....
Physics 101 can be very cruel to Harley-Davidson LARPers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Since this thread is all over the place, anyone familiar with Yankee motorcycles? I knew a guy back in the 70's that owned two Yankees. These were American built but I believe had Ducati engines. What I remember most about these bikes was a gentle twist of the throttle and you were gone.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Moot, this is a Harley-Davidson thread. You can start a Yankee thread or an Ossa thread if you want.
I would start a Yankee or Ossa thread but I think there is already several old threads dealing with these subjects. I certainly wouldn't want to get called out for starting a new, updated thread about Yankee and Ossa. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is the Yankee I remember. I believe it was a Ossa dirt bike motor (Spanish).
Yeah that's it! A 500cc and I believe both cylinders fired in unison. I only rode it once. As a former Honda owner, 350 CL, 450 CB and 750 CB the throttle response and instant torque got my attention real quick. Rode a Yamaha 750cc, three cylinder, 2 stroke once and scared the crap out of me compared to my 750 Honda.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Over 5,200 views. Another joke:

I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed
to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really
twisting sections of mountain road with no straight sections to
speak of and where most of the bends have warning signs that
say "MAX SPEED 50 KPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those
big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where
handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could
catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and
cornering. Three corners later, I was on his mudguard. Catching him
was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the
mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly
got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd
manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but
when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out-power me. His
horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me
more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out-brake him. I held off squeezing the lever
until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an
instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of
his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before
the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I
stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the
canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see
him in my rear-view mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles
before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I
was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the
tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more
than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was
not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the mountain and I had
preserved the proud tradition of one of the best bits of Brit iron.

I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled
so hard in my life. And, some of the credit must go to Raleigh
cycles, as well. They really make a great bicycle...

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'll just leave this here...

Factory built, runs mid 9 second 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
I'll just leave this here...

Factory built, runs mid 9 second 1/4 mile times.
That's a Porsche-powered Harley-Davidson called the "Dreamin' Beagle Flatulator", or something like that.

It's a limited-production unmuffled hand-built drag racing motorcycle that has never been street legal, and yet it is no quicker than fully street-legal mass-produced sport-touring motorcycles like the Kawasaki ZX-14R, and about 35 mph slower than the 4-door 4-cylinder front wheel drive Honda Civic Type-R. Due to it's drag slick, wheelie bar, air shifter, and MTC lock-up clutch, it requires very little skill to use on a drag strip. In other words, it's utterly pathetic. There were only 625 of them sold- the regular street-legal production V-Rod makes about 40-50 horsepower less, and is even slower.

There is a VERY noteworthy Harley-Davidson racing motorcycle, but as I proved several pages ago, Harley-Davidson LARPing Cosplayers don't even know it exists.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
In June of 2010 Sport Rider tested the fully street-legal BMW S1000RR. Stone stock, right off the assembly line. Street legal fully-treaded tires, rear view mirrors, passenger pegs, and all. No drag slick, no wheelie bar, no air shifter, no lock-up clutch, no unmuffled exhaust, and no hand-built drag racing engine. It ran a 9.57 at 156.1 mph quarter mile, and is not the quickest street-legal bike they've tested.

https://www.sportrider.com/tech/sportbike-performance-numbers

But it is quicker and faster than the Dreamin' Beagle Flatulator.

121 - 140 of 169 Posts