Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A decade ago a lot more people were buying minivans. Now the market is less saturated with options, but the options that do exist are higher end models that deliver good margins. Examples of such minivans are the Chrysler Town & Country, Honda Odyssey and Nissan Quest.

Ford left the minivan market eight years ago, and now it is re-entering the segment with its Transit Connect Wagon (which is a minivan, though that debate is continuing on another thread.) Ford is calling it the "unminivan" because minivans are co uncool though.

Kia is also entering the American minivan segment with a new Kia Sedona minivan, however, they are calling it a multipurpose vehicle.

They sure are getting creative with names these days.

I think the point is that minivans became really uncool, but now automakers are making nicer minivans, and they aren't calling them minivans anymore. That small change seems to be ushering in a new age of the "unminivan."

Minivan segment now seeing lower sales but higher profit margins

·
Registered
166 Posts
MPV's have been around for a LONG time. They are basically a mashup of a wagon and a van so its not really correct to call them minivans as they are sleeker and bit smaller. The TC Wagon is actually a MPV as well...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I noticed a lot of people are going more for crossovers than minivans but i always still see quite a lot of Honda Odyessy's, Caravans, etc

·
Registered
640 Posts
I noticed a lot of people are going more for crossovers than minivans but i always still see quite a lot of Honda Odyessy's, Caravans, etc
The Honda's are what the "miniV- MOM's" want, so I told, silding doors & hatches operating off the key button

Caravan is the original? (fit inside of garage) big points for women
those fold and stow seats are a big deal

SUV killed alot of the minivan market, but with gas prices,some of it is comming back.

I will look for a soocer mom site to see what the #1 vehicle is

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just found way too much about this, and I am going to get out while I can.
Merceces V-class!
This is going to do what the Sprinter did to the US van market?

·
Registered
539 Posts
After the Sprinter I will never buy a Mercedes again. Not impressed.
What was so bad about it?

Never had any experience with sprinters but since I see them so often I do get a good impression of them because of that,

·
Registered
166 Posts
What was so bad about it?

Never had any experience with sprinters but since I see them so often I do get a good impression of them because of that,
What always turned me off of about the Sprinter are parts a and labor costs. Its a commercial van yet you're stuck paying Mercedes Benz Labour rates. Compare that with pedestrian Ford/Chev/RAM and the costs add up fairly quickly even for routine visits to the shop...

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
1. It tried to kill me by going into LHM right after passing on two lane road.
2. 3D design without any flat surfaces anywhere.
3. Bastardized Espar heater that no one can fix.
4. Horrible programing of automatic transmission. Does not downshift on hills. You have to buy a Scangage to watch the engine LOD and then manually downshift.
5. Most people have body rust problems. I have not.
6. Limited service locations.
7. Overengineered and complicated.
8. Diesel engine with lots of emission hardware and software.
9. Junk tires, shocks, headlights, etc.
10. Some poor engineering choices.
11. Expensive parts and service.

That should be enough for now. Sprinter does drive well and gets very good mpg.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
1. It tried to kill me by going into LHM right after passing on two lane road.
2. 3D design without any flat surfaces anywhere.
3. Bastardized Espar heater that no one can fix.
4. Horrible programing of automatic transmission. Does not downshift on hills. You have to buy a Scangage to watch the engine LOD and then manually downshift.
5. Most people have body rust problems. I have not.
6. Limited service locations.
7. Overengineered and complicated.
8. Diesel engine with lots of emission hardware and software.
9. Junk tires, shocks, headlights, etc.
10. Some poor engineering choices.
11. Expensive parts and service.

That should be enough for now. Sprinter does drive well and gets very good mpg.
After having 2 of these I will agree with Orton on some of his points.

No. 4 for sure, except my gripe is on the upshift side
No. 5, lots of folks are reporting rust issues after just a couple years ownership. Supposedly in 2010 MB made some major changes in rustproofing and painting specifically for this. The white color has no clear coat protection
No. 6, but you can go to Freightliner Sprinter dealers too for warranty, and in a lot of cases receive cheaper "commercial" labor rates
No. 7, this is for **** sure!
No. 8, par for the course in diesels anymore, but MB seems to have went the overly complicated route of swirl valves inside the engine that get gunked up easily, and also the $500.00 EGR replacement valves don't help either. Both cause excessive LHM's
No. 9, ditto. Continental tires are BAD. They seem to eat headlight bulbs
No. 10 , goes with no. 7
No. 11, parts are ridiculous!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts