Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... is what I feel like telling people when they see my van and start asking about what kind of business I own. These are complete strangers.

Extended family get the consideration of being told I'm converting it to an RV. Immediate family, friends, and some select co-workers get closer to the full story - that my plan is to make a cozy place where I will attempt to live full time under the radar.

Why is everyone so nosy? Maybe that doesn't even matter. I don't want to outright lie to people that are making "friendly" conversation with me (because it usually cascades and I'm not good at making things up on the fly). What's a simple story that isn't a lie but will shut down the discussion very quickly? I thought maybe to jokingly tell them I'm a terrorist, but that seems like a really bad idea. Even typing it here has probably flagged me by a bunch of security organizations! :p

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Tell them you are 'having fun living the great life in a Transit van'

I get comments and questions just about every time I stop somewhere with my 2017 T-250 MR Blue Jeans dual sliding door Transit. Everything from 'did not know they made these in colors' to 'how did you get this sliding door on the driver's side'.

More people are seeing these on the road and if they have a older model van of any brand they are curious about them. For me, it can be a selling point to tell them about the Transit and hand them one of my cards.

With you having the HR model, it draws more attention with just being 'BIG'. In most cases, people comment to you as they are trying to start a conversion about your Transit so you can say something like I mentioned and then walk away or try to look too busy to make any more comments about it.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I've dealt with the curious since 2006 when I got my Sprinter. I would often give a standard spiel about it, but if I didn't have time I would just say "I don't know anything about it, it's not mine". When I had the Corvair Greenbriers, I finally printed up an information sheet and put it in the window so I wouldn't be stopped by people every freaking time I went somewhere in them. I'm a bit "on the spectrum" and don't enjoy meeting new people or talking pointlessly just to be talking. Which is also why when I camp I do it up some lonely dirt road and avoid campgrounds like the plague.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd say I'm in Bill's camp, but it would be more accurate to say I'm a few camps over. :)

I'm an introvert. Always have been. I know that most people mean well, but I usually have no interest in chatting, answering their questions, or defending what I'm doing and why.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Once you get to where all the other vanlifers tend to congregate, you get way less questions.

But yeah, I like talking to other van people but... If a normie wants to waste my time I just start chanting and acting weird they leave you alone.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I enjoy talking about the Transit and the conversion. No issue. Nice to be helpful to people who have an interest.
BTW, I met a guy down here in Mexico that knows you. He's the son of one of your good friends. Can't remember his name, but he drives a Raptor, into offroading. Said he went to the car show with you to take Transit measurements when they were first coming out. Small world!

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I'd say I'm in Bill's camp, but it would be more accurate to say I'm a few camps over. :)

I'm an introvert. Always have been. I know that most people mean well, but I usually have no interest in chatting, answering their questions, or defending what I'm doing and why.
It's funny how insensitive extroverts are, they think they need to "fix" introverts as if there was something wrong with them. "Get out of your shell" "meet new people" "loosen up". I know a few people who get physically anxious if they are NOT in a group of people chattering like a troop of monkeys, they must think introspective, quiet, self reliant people are aliens.

·
Registered
105 Posts
... is what I feel like telling people when they see my van and start asking about what kind of business I own. These are complete strangers.

Extended family get the consideration of being told I'm converting it to an RV. Immediate family, friends, and some select co-workers get closer to the full story - that my plan is to make a cozy place where I will attempt to live full time under the radar.

Why is everyone so nosy? Maybe that doesn't even matter. I don't want to outright lie to people that are making "friendly" conversation with me (because it usually cascades and I'm not good at making things up on the fly). What's a simple story that isn't a lie but will shut down the discussion very quickly? I thought maybe to jokingly tell them I'm a terrorist, but that seems like a really bad idea. Even typing it here has probably flagged me by a bunch of security organizations! :p
Tell 'em you're a mortuary delivery technician and a freelance infectious waste removal facilitator, smile, nod and be on your way.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Once again I recall the list of magnetic signs to put on the sides to discourage break-ins, but also might be used to stifle nosey talkers.

County Library Used Book Transport
Don's Doggy Doo Doo Disposal
Livestock Semen Services
Jesus Is Lord, Ask Me How!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Size has its advantages, At 6'8" and 275 pounds all it takes is a unhappy look to stop them dead in their tracks. But mostly I go where most people do not go: Forest service primitive campsites and off of the beaten path county park campgrounds in the American midwest, Or friends and family driveways.
I saw many popular state and national parks when I was younger, There is no need to go back. (40/50 Years ago there were half as many people there!)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
My favorite nosy joke-

Guy is in the grocery store with his arm in a sling.

Stranger comes up and asked "What happened to your arm?"

He answers "I sprained it trying to

pat myself on the back for minding my own business"

I'll show myself out....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yea ranxerox is right. As a big dude with a grey beard and a constant South African scowl on my face the group of humans on earth that will casually start a conversation with me is rather small.
As an introvert what I'm doing is no ones business. I can go days and have no need to talk to another person.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm also a big, somewhat intimidating looking guy. In fairness, the few that I was thinking of when I posted this have been people coming to pick up stuff I was selling from my house. So they are strangers, but it's not like people are stopping me on the street asking me about the van. In keeping it looking like a contractor van, I hope to evoke assumptions that will preempt any annoying questions.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I am one of those people who will walk up to a complete stranger and ask about their van/car/dog/bike... My motivation is genuine interest and a desire to learn but can see how it would be perceived differently. It is easy to tell if someone doesn't want to socialize - they have their reasons and I can respect it. On the other side, I have met fascinating people just by asking a question. Can't speak for everyone but that's my take.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
BTW, I met a guy down here in Mexico that knows you. He's the son of one of your good friends. Can't remember his name, but he drives a Raptor, into offroading. Said he went to the car show with you to take Transit measurements when they were first coming out. Small world!
His name is Chris Horn. His Dad (deceased) and I were good friends. His dad Bill owned a Lotus 7 which he raced up and down the West Coast. I was the "mechanic" and Bill the driver. Many great times. We both lived in SLO area when we went racing. As far as my ability as a mechanic the following saying applies: "In a blind world a one eyed man is king". I knew just enough to be dangerous.

I had decided to buy a Transit before they were being built. Went to the LA Auto Show because they had both a finished Transit and a bare steel body on display. Sent a few hours measuring the bare steel body at the show so I could start doing CAD drawings for the conversion.

Indeed a very small world. As you can see small talk with a complete stranger can have interesting results. No harm in being nice.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Having been around athletes my entire life, I'm not intimidated or impressed by big strong or big fat guys. It's the little, wiry, shifty-eyed ones that are problematic.
Also, I try to look a bit more psychopathic than I actually am as a form of social repellent.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts