Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Milwaukee Packout for Modular Design

1064 12
While traveling through Montana I noticed a pickup truck with Milwaukee Packout tool boxes bolted and locked in the bed. I thought it was a great way to store and secure stuff in our age of theft without consequences. I later stopped in a Home Depot and looked at the various configurations and thought “EURIKA!”

I had already built a Murphy bed and Murphy bench in my 130 MR but hadn’t decided about storage easy to install and remove. My van must serve two purposes: truck and adventure RV.

Here’s what I came up with:
Motor vehicle Rolling stock Automotive lighting Automotive design Track

The base units have dovetail slots allowing the various tool boxes and drawer units to quickly attach and detach.
Hood Trunk Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Motor vehicle Bumper Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

The aluminum bar prevents drawers from opening during travel and is easily unlatched and stored when desired.

Train Rolling stock Motor vehicle Railway Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Gas
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Murphy bed and bench along with a quick detachable fridge and Packouts allow me to go from this

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Car

to this in less than 10 minutes

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Blue Trunk

The sink base can be remove in another minute or two.

The really awesome thing is the price of Packout components. The 2 and 3-drawer units were about $160 each and the bases are about $30. That’s low in comparison to custom made birchply units I’ve seen.

What do you think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Dotar,

I am still waiting for my 2023 Transit 250 MR 148; but your bed design is what I am planning to do.

Can you post more detailed photos on the 80/20 design ?; also how do you secure them to the chasis ?

Planning to do the same with the bed, 2x beds on the side; they will be folded up when not used as space for bikes.

Thanks.

Lee

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
@Dotar,

I, too, would be all ears if you wanted to share any of how you built and anchored the swing up bed and "credenza." So cool!

Those "leg swing bracket fittings" are pretty neat -- did you make those?

Also, with something like your galley module..... does it just anchor to that single line of L-track?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since Los Angeles schools start tomorrow, I m heading up to the Eastern Sierra for a week. I’ll be happy to take photos when I return. Just a teaser for now: I haven’t drilled any holes in the walls or floor, yet all structures are solidly mounted.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Since Los Angeles schools start tomorrow, I m heading up to the Eastern Sierra for a week. I’ll be happy to take photos when I return.
Sounds great. Have fun in the Eastern Sierra 🏔 Always nice when you can travel after many people are otherwise occupied (y)

I had to laugh when you rememebered the 7 holes 😅

Look forward to hearing more when you return (and I'm sure many others here do too).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep; even more intrigued about not having to drill holes.

My thought is to connect all the 8020 into one structure including the floor as well; and add a slider in the middle connecting the 2 sides.

And bolt the whole structure into the existing holes(ie. existing tie downs).

There is another van company that sell kits that has similar bed design; but it uses customs bracket etc...

Been looking at 8020 catalog for the different parts to make the swivel; you seems to do this already; and they look good !.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm rocking some packout for modular use. Using the base plates with pipe clamps to the unused seat mounts (passenger van.
I use one modified drawer unit for the goal zero and added fans, its the one in the middle. Drawers and dividers are great, locking part perfect. I have a half size base they now make. I use it for the vacuum and light/ charger unit and first aid kit in the rear between the unused last row. I add some ac foam insulation between rows, leaving the adhesive cover on on the the upper part so they don't stick. The counter top is very useful.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
with the vac and light instead of the crate in Montreal
Anyone else know of other awesome modular solutions like this? This is going to work great for my part time adventure van
Ryobi and Dewalt have similar product lines, but not as much depth yet. If the red color is too much for taste, the euro packouts are black.
There is some loss of space between stacks, but the baseplates can be trimmed a bit to reduce this.
So far after 4k miles of rough driving it has help up well, I had to add the foam to reduce the noise a bit and get a tighter fit, but it works great, even when I swap units. Pic below has the vac and light/ charger units. They also have a mega plate now that has 3 units and a new cabinet model
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts