Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an oh sh** :eek: moment when yesterday I took my brand new 2016 Transit XLT with mid roof height out and found that all the parkways here on Long Island NY have a warning of a 7'-10 max clearance height. What did I get myself into!?! My Transit listed at just under 8'-1" in height. I wonder how accurate the 7'-10 warning really is?
Any comments?
Thanks! Tony G

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I think my mid-roof 2015 spec is 8' 4" tall. Oh, here's the Ford spec:http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2015/2015_Transit_PIB.pdf
100.8 inches, or 8.4 feet, or 8' 5" tall.

At any rate, I would believe the warnings given. They probably build in a couple of inches for a margin of safety, but, not enough to rely on, and certainly not enough to give you 3+ inches (I'd say 7+ inches) to take your chances with.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
StudioG4,

Just follow in the lane that truckers use, they'll know which ones have the 10 foot clearance and which ones have the 7 foot. Normally, all over passes will have the heights posted for the lanes, prior to the bridge.

Semper Fi

EDIT: Trucks not allowed on parkways ? How crazy is that? OK, ignore my advice, above. :blush:

Thanks for the info unclebob

·
Registered
353 Posts
Trucks are not allowed on the parkways.

One overpass might be 9' tall and the next a half mile away might be 7'.

Parkways are NOT your friend.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
StudioG4,

Just follow in the lane that truckers use, they'll know which ones have the 10 foot clearance and which ones have the 7 foot.
:D
Just for entertainment go to 11foot8.com if you want see plenty of truckers that do NOT know how to read clearance signs....>:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Considering all this advice and research, I'm quite a bit disappointed with my lack of foresight when ordering this van. I was overjoyed with the addition of the sync3 navigation but am now paranoid with the direction I get with the hope I don't get directed to a parkway (and when I get to a parkway entrance and drive past it) and get the continual 'make a 'U-turn'. Is there an upgrade/update to the navigation program that applies to commercial plates (truck drivers)? This would not even direct me to a parkway.

·
Banned
214 Posts
The old McCarran airport in Las Vegas had a passenger pickup area that was 7' clearance! When picking up family there the first time, I had to get across 4 lanes to a service road in the 50' between the warning sign and the low clearance bar. Got questioned by security for using the road, and everytime after that I would just go to the shuttle area (on the other end of that road) and pick up waiting family. While stalling the security as they loaded in. "Really? Where should I go? The sign said to go here. Is there another way around? I saw other cars going this way so I followed them. Does this road exit the airport or does it wrap around? etc" for the 30-60 seconds needed for family to get in.

I guess the new terminal has adequate clearance at the pickup area.

On factory navigation: It always sucks in comparison to aftermarket by Garmin, TomTom, etc. I don't know if the new factory nav systems allow you to update on your own, but all of the old versions from all car brands required you to take them to a dealer and pay a fee. Or there was a monthly "subscription fee" or some other way to bleed you. There are a lot of free of $5 apps that work on a smartphone or tablet (with GPS) that work great. Having GPS on a 10" tablet on your dash makes it pretty easy to see where you're going.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
its called the Truck Route, and there are signs posted on every city block of the truck route saying it is the truck route! all of the overpasses will be a minimum of 14 feet in height on the truck route. (i drove tractor/trailers for a few years, not in NYC) http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/trucks.shtml

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do realise that (truck route) but when you are being guided by the NAV, it can be frustrating if you are in an unfamiliar area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Mid-Roof Clearance?

I have a 2017 model year mid-roof. Can someone link me to a document that will show its clearance? The 2015 document previously linked (and obvious variants) did not work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
https://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-showroom-vdm/?brand=Ford&md=TransitCommercial&yr=2018&sg=commercial-trucks

Based on the cargo space you need, pick your vehicle. The 130-inch wheelbase has a choice of roof heights – a low roof height of 83˝ and a medium height of 100.˝ Transit 148-inch wheelbase has a low roof height of 83,˝ medium height of 100˝ and a high roof over 110.˝ If you choose the 148-inch wheelbase - extended length model, your roof height will be 109.˝

I've always wondered about that root height being 109" vs 110" for the HR - EL version. With that 5" roof fan on there, I just remember 10 ft clearance! (110 is 9 feet 2 inches but dang most low clearance bars are lower than that).

Oh, good thing my shop has 12' tall doors! Just need to remember to raise the roll up door all the way (& fold in mirrors)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts