Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Edmunds as well as NADA sites show that the high roof is required for the extended body. Today when I was calling around for training team dates one dealership that already did it said that they have already ordered mid roof extended body vehicles. I clarified that he wasn't confused w/ short
wheel base vs long, and he said specifically that they ordered extended body long wheelbase vans w/ mid roof.
Anyone have any info to verify this?
Edit:
Can't believe there's no way to edit a title!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't feel bad, I am keeping my "get out of Jail free" card for my spelling/grammer mistakes
To much spelling/grammer checking at work emails done auto, got lax

COOL, thats your ride

What dealer?

VanMan

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was Royal Oak Ford. Hope he's was correct!

·
Registered
85 Posts
That would be pretty sweet...especially in a Drw configuration with the wagon so I could get more tow capacity!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I get a Transit, it will be the ecoboost motor. Too much data supporting it as a very reliable block. $1500 for 130 ft lbs extra? Easy decision.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
......cut.......I clarified that he wasn't confused w/ short wheel base vs long, and he said specifically that they ordered extended body long wheelbase .....cut.....
While I've said from beginning that Ford should make the mid-roof available in extended long-wheelbase models, I wouldn't hold my breath based on what a dealer says when all Ford data suggest that combination is not available.

Having said that I hope Ford reconsiders and adds mid-roof to longest van. I hope dealer is right but doubt it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Of course all he swore by was that he ordered them. That doesn't mean they'll ever be built!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Orton, you have all the order codes. You've never seen a mid roof extended length code, right?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Of course all he swore by was that he ordered them. That doesn't mean they'll ever be built!
I posted a link in the new "pictures" thread, One picture shows the Van coming down the welding line with no roof and the welding robots.
This is how things work: to do what you guys are asking for, you need to have the sheetmetal to do so (roof stamping), side panels stampings, jigging to hold in position (pneu. clamps,prox swicthes) and the robots programmed to clear everying, position-clamp-weld- HOME (retract)
If this work has not been done YET(clamping/proxes/programming), you cannot build the config. you want..
Can be an upgrade @ 4th of July or xmas shutdown (2-3 weeks)

Makes sense ?

Just say'n

VanMan

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Orton, you have all the order codes. You've never seen a mid roof extended length code, right?
The Ford information I have only shows the extended length available on high roof. Not on medium roof.
Info from 18 page "Major Product Features" Ford publication dates 1-15-14.
Medium roof extended also in not shown on "nadaguides" list of vehicles. Nadaguides seems to be the most complete and accurate information. The dimensional information given in the 72 page Ford publication "2015 Transit What's Important" only lists dimensions for extended length on a high roof. Medium roof extended is not listed.

Question: If you are short enough to select the medium roof height, why do you want the extended length? You can sleep across back of van. I measured 74" van width in back just below the windows. I also wanted the medium roof but could not make it work due to my 5'-10" height and the desire to have a 1 1/2" thick floor for insulation and utility runs. At the LA auto show I measured the medium roof steel weldment. It measured 71 1/2" from top of corrugated floor to bottom of roof rib on the van centerline. My 70" plus the 1 1/2" floor plus 5/16" ceiling plastic does not work.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have seen every model type but the ext/mid-roof. I think the dealer is wrong.
I can be corrected, but it does not matter because LWB/mid roof for me

you want BIG, its High roof/ext long only

What did that dealer have for a "training" model?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
He had the mid roof Passenger normal length. As too often is the case, I'm guessing that he didn't know what he was talking about.
The reason I want the extended is I really liked how my Sprinter was set up as I was able to walk all the way thru from the rear to the slider or to the front w/o obstruction. I also wheeled bicycles in and out from either the slider or rear depending on what kind and how many bikes I was hauling. Original idea came to me back when I was driving the E-150 regular length. I knew what I would one day do in a longer van, and finally did with the Sprinter, including sleeping four or more adults lengthwise all on the left side leaving the right side clear. I no longer haul the bike that gave me the idea, but still like the floor plan. At 2" longer inside than my 170" regular Sprinter, I'd miss the length if going with the regular body. I don't plan on adding to the ceiling or floor, so as long as the knob on the Fantastic Fan doesn't require me to remember to duck I'll be fine with the medium.

Van Man, recall seeing the bike at KOSH back in the day when I was subliminally influencing the now B727 First Officer? Always rode it to the gate from Scholler, and usually parked it at either the ultralight area fence or near Jerry's One Man Band gate.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Van Man, recall seeing the bike at KOSH back in the day when I was subliminally influencing the now B727 First Officer? Always rode it to the gate from Scholler, and usually parked it at either the ultralight area fence or near Jerry's One Man Band gate.

2007 was 1st year in scholler camping , flown in other 25 or so times.
I park in the same area now (black Ruckus) or by the U/L barn
so, have not seen that bike, the Canadian's who camp in the teepee w/ 8 person bicycle rides past my campsite all the time.
Jerry ROCKS, I have put some cash in his box (1st time I/we saw him was 1981)
Count down has started a long time ago!

(Jerry has a Van too)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see that Canadian contraption every year, usually one of their kids has to translate for us.
Never realized they're the ones camped in the Teepee! Makes perfect sense though now that I know.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I see that Canadian contraption every year, usually one of their kids has to translate for us.
Never realized they're the ones camped in the Teepee! Makes perfect sense though now that I know.
He has a solar powered skateboard also, for the surfer types here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts