Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the information I got when at the SEMA Show last year to get tires made for the larger Transit.

Michelin
Consumer Care Department
P.O. Box 19001
Greenville, SC 29602-9001

Phone: 866-866-6605

They had sent me a email about the tire they were working on for the Full Size Transit. I tried looking for it, so far no luck.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The current tires made as a replacement for the Hankook and Continental original tires:

Firestone - Transforce HT 235/65R/16C 10 ply Load Index 121
Cooper - Discoverer HT3 235/65R/16C 10 ply Load Index 121/119
General - Grabber HD 235/65R/16C 10 ply Load Index 121/119
Nexen - Roadian CT8 HL 235/65R/16C Load Index 121/119

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks - I am a HUGE fan of Michelins - usually get 70k+ on passenger-car tires; and our 28' Class C had 45k on its Michelin tires and they looked brand new. I'll keep my fingers crossed....

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a low roof extended, so I will be swithing to 225/7516E. Everyone on the planet makes that size:eek:. The loading rating will be rdeuced to 4,700#, which exceeds my gvwr:laugh:

Gonna triy the Bridgestone ribs next. 50% of the survey says in excess of a 100,000 miles a year (Tire rack)

·
Registered
187 Posts
bbird
It would seem that there many different opinions on tires for the transit. Why did you settle on this tire and size? Besides the fact that everyone makes this size. I have been looking through as many posts as I can find on the tires that would work well on my new transit. I would need E rated tires. I am a plumbing contractor and will need a good tire on my work van.
Miketheplumber61

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Michelin is the Gold Standard for Light Truck tires. LTX MS2. Surprised they aren't available for Transit.

I also wonder if the Transit was originally designed (Europe) for smaller tires but was spec'd with larger ones for the USA market. The old Sprinter was actually lifted at the factory to accommodate the 225/75/16 tires (the 140 and 158 WB; the 118 WB and duallies retained 225/75/15).

So, I wonder if the the LTX MS2 IS available in the original Transit tire size? It's too big of a market to ignore.

·
Registered
372 Posts
bbird
It would seem that there many different opinions on tires for the transit. Why did you settle on this tire and size? Besides the fact that everyone makes this size. I have been looking through as many posts as I can find on the tires that would work well on my new transit. I would need E rated tires. I am a plumbing contractor and will need a good tire on my work van.
Miketheplumber61

600 mile review michelin defender

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every year since the Transit has been available, I have checked the one building at the SEMA Show that is nothing buy TIRES!!! I found out the first year that Ford went out to all the tire manufacturers with a spec tire for the Transit and wanted all of them to bid to build a tire for it. Hankook had the best price for Ford and that is what they went with starting with the early production. Ford later needed a little heavier tire and Continental has submitted one to Ford and they decided to go with it and used it nearly exclusively on the wagons. When I ordered mine and later got to meet someone from the Transit plant scheduling, I got him to see about putting the Continentals on my DSD van instead of the Hankooks. It showed up with them!

Last year when I talked to different tire manufacturers, they were looking to make a replacement tire for the Full Size Transit. Most were waiting for the production numbers to get larger and the average mileage to get close to the 40,000 miles that were projected for the original tire to last. That time period is getting close and as you see in post #2 above, some are already out there. The Michelin rep I met at the SEMA Show last year said they were developing a tire for the Larger Transit and it would come out close to the 2017 SEMA Show which will be October 31-November 3. He sent me some specifications and what the tire product number would be for that tire. Thought I had saved the email but can't find it now.

So I should have some updated information on tires for the Transit by the first week of November.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am pretty sure Michelin makes a tire for the full size Transit in Europe called the Agilis.

I would like something with a tighter tread pattern next time around but sadly the stock Contis are toast so it is getting more Conti’s.

If Michelin had had a tire available in the proper size and load rating I’d have bought them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is the information I got when at the SEMA Show last year to get tires made for the larger Transit.

Michelin

Consumer Care Department

P.O. Box 19001

Greenville, SC 29602-9001

Phone: 866-866-6605

They had sent me a email about the tire they were working on for the Full Size Transit. I tried looking for it, so far no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See all the ads for the factory tires for sale? This may tell any current or future Transit owner that the Michelin tires will be the choice if and when they are made available.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had The LTX model for my 2007 E150 for years and loved those tires!!!
When they come out with a C/E ply tire in the LTX it will be my next tire for sure!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had The LTX model for my 2007 E150 for years and loved those tires!!!
When they come out with a C/E ply tire in the LTX it will be my next tire for sure!!!
I got just over 90,000 miles on the original set of LTX AT2 on my F-150 4x4. The replacement set of LTX AT2 is currently a year old, have 26,000 miles on them and still look new.

I'll be watching to see what Michelin has to offer for the Transit 150.

·
Registered
377 Posts
See all the ads for the factory tires for sale? ...
I wonder; how many owners are selling their OEM tires because they are eager to get some other brand of OEM size tires, and how many owners are selling their OEM tires because they want larger tires?

My brand new OEM Continental Van Co tires have a 72 month OEM warranty which may be honored at any Continental Tire dealer, I can't imagine swapping them out before they are worn unless I swap out to larger tires.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your tire size is different so the speedo will not show the correct speed.
When the LTX comes out in a 235/65R16C or better, I will be in line to
buy them.:)
off by about 5%, I can live with that:D, I will ge at leastt double the mileage of the OEM Handcraps;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
With issues still coming up, Recall Not Complete, and the 60,000 drive train warranty still active, I am not changing anything
directly connected to the drive train area. Ford would love to blame me for any issue in the drive train
saying I put the wrong tires on the vehicle.

23,0000 miles left on the drive train warranty so I will wait about a year to start changes to the drive train.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Besides your comments on this thread, BE SURE to send a post card, letter, or call the 866 number and let Michelin know you want a replacement tire for the larger Transit. This may get the release of the tire quicker to the marketplace. Hope to see the REAL TIRE at the SEMA Show for sure!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts