Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you are using 2x3 or 2x4 to do the build-out, some also use 80/20 Alum. But recently I have seen an outfitter uses metal stud for the bathroom and other stuff. Just wondering what are the pros and cons of this? I don't mind saving some weight.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I'm curious -- is the outfitter using standard replacement for 2 x 4 stud? If so, are they turning it sideways so that the walls are not unnecessarily thick? Or, is there something like a 2 x 2 stud that's available in metal? That'll definitely would be lighter, but would seem to limit flexibility (of use).

·
Registered
2018 Ford Transit High Roof 250
186 Posts
The 2x4 metal studs are lighter and if used properly are plenty sturdy for building in a van. Just like wood, if installed properly you won’t have any squeaking or major flexing either.

You can use them sideways to create thinner walls but keep in mind that they can twist much easier than wood so having them secured properly to wall paneling that has some strength makes a big difference.

Reactions: 1x1_Speed_Craig

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious -- is the outfitter using standard replacement for 2 x 4 stud? If so, are they turning it sideways so that the walls are not unnecessarily thick? Or, is there something like a 2 x 2 stud that's available in metal? That'll definitely would be lighter, but would seem to limit flexibility (of use).
No, what I have seen a couple of outfitters, they use the regular way, no sideways. I guess the 4-in thick partition wall is needed for mounting accessories like plumbing or electrical outlets.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if installed properly you won’t have any squeaking or major flexing either.
All of them use glue in addtion to screw. I am not sure which path I would take - metal or wood studs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts