Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well now I’m feeling like progress. MaxFan went in without much trouble and the 400watts of solar is mounted as well. I couldn’t to glue or tape the solar up so I bolted them on using the roof rack mounts and some center holes. I just did’t the trust them to stay put without some mechanical bolting

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steve. Are building too?
Just getting ideas for now. Started to look for a Transit but they are hard to find here in OK. My wife only works 3, 12 hour days so we have time to travel. So we want to go places but not have the expense of hotels and not be held to an itinerary.

You've got some of the things in your build so far that I was planning on.

Keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
2019 Transit 148 High Roof Cargo
6 Posts
Going to jump on this thread and follow. We just started our 2019 Transit build.....Vaniel.
What model propane tank did you install? That's going to be one of my next projects.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Flooring:

I’m using 1/2inch between the bumps then another layer of the same for insulation. Then plywood and then vinyl. On top of the Vinny the wife wants to put down squishy lock flooring that we can change out as needed.
Phase one complete.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
So I’ve been busy. But mostly not working on Maggie. I completed the floor and put down a vinyl remnant to waterproof the plywood.
I

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Next I replaced the smaller window and cut a much neater hole for the larger window. I used an oscillating saw. By far, this is the way to go. Accurate smooth cut without deforming the metal much at all. I did slip and gouge the paint a bit. Darn it. Had to sand, prime and paint a small section. Here is the old hole with the new marks payed out for the new one.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
As soon as I finished the floor and the window the Mrs. said pack your stuff we’re leaving in an hour for Jackson Hole to meet friend. We spent 7 days camping in Maggie. 4 of those we stealth camped. Air mattress in the back. It definitely helped form the final plans. Today was my first day back at working on Maggie. The walls are going up! 1/2in ply bolted to the walls with cross nuts and stainless steel countersunk screws. Sorry for the sideways image.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Now I’m working on a plan to have the bed clamshell up and reveal a sitting area underneath. I have to say the curved sides of the Transit are a bit of a pain in the butt. I plan on using ramps for lawn mowers that I got on sale at Harbor Freight. Modifying them to fit will bit difficult but the weight for the strength is really worth it I think. More pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
89 Posts
Enjoying your build so far! I'm not too far ahead of you on my build.
I saw your solar panel install picture and I think I might've screwed up? I haven't ordered my solar panels yet but I've started on my upper cabinets on the driver's side and no longer have access to the roof area above the cabinets. Will I most likely need to remove the cabinets to bolt down the solar panels?

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Slow progress but there is a LOT of if you build this then it affect that. Anyways. The rough skeleton of the bed platform is in. I drilled out a ton of rivets and screwed the panels together.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts