Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!
I’m just another new guy to the forum starting a build. I hope that the community here will shoot down any dumb ideas I have and keep me from messing this up.

The wife names the kids and cars, and I name the dogs.......hence Maggie-neato. OBTW we don’t have any dogs.

The rough plan is going to be very similar to TheFarOutRide guys with some modifications.

I’ve been ordering parts for a month.

this is about a third of them! Thanks amazon.

Layout planning and work starts today.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Are planing to install a house refrigerator in to the van?
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you buy that Van?
I found the Van on Auto-Trader. I got it from the dealer in Newburgh Oregon. They are very hard to find, I got lucky and bought this one site unseen from a dealer that has a large van quota. We wanted to 2020 because it has all wheel drive and I live in Montana.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I plan on using a rather large fridge from RecPro. It was one of the luxury teams I splurged on. Model number is on the box in the picture.
View attachment 138851
Unfortunately the image is too small and it is not possible to zoom in, but the luxury is totally worth it!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I fail to see why people name their vans but we have a place for people like you.

·
Registered
2012 GMC AWD Savanna cargo
4 Posts
I found the Van on Auto-Trader. I got it from the dealer in Newburgh Oregon. They are very hard to find, I got lucky and bought this one site unseen from a dealer that has a large van quota. We wanted to 2020 because it has all wheel drive and I live in Montana.
Had a similar experience here in Pa. Had to get mine from Massachusetts. Wired funds Friday and should get it delivered Monday. Third van build out. First ever Ford product. Recommend a small metal bender to make specialty fittings as nothing is square and straight inside. Good luck have fun.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took the weekend off to go to the “Follies” in Virginia City MT. If your ever near there in the summer and you like offensive satirical improv then go. The town is a saved ghost town from the gold rush days. Pretty cool. Anyways, BACK TO WORK.

Drilling the first hole through the floor of Maggie was nerve racking! But two holes got drilled and the propane tank fits nicely under the driver side. I had to trim away one of the thin “spars” to make some room. I’ll do final install later after the floor goes in so I can cut access holes in the floor in order to remove/repair/replace the tank as needed. Job done! Neat!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Bunk window:
Soooo.... this did not go so well. I was excited about my propane success and just ripped into cutting the window hole. Well I purchased a nibbler for the job per the FarOutRide guys suggestion. Well, they can have this one back! It works well to cut a nice straight line on flat clean metal. But put curves and ribs and Ford glue in the way...blah, blah, blah. Two thing happened. Wavy corners that look crappy and I cut the darn hole slightly to big! Uggggg, measure 4 times cut once!
Solution - I ordered a new window and fortune smiles on me again. Slightly bigger window on order. I can clean up my cuts. And (this is the best part) I found it for about $150 less then the one I am going to return! Failure = Win Win Win for me. #LuckyDumbAss

·
Registered
309 Posts
Drilling the first hole through the floor of Maggie was nerve racking! But two holes got drilled and the propane tank fits nicely under the driver side. I had to trim away one of the thin “spars” to make some room. I’ll do final install later after the floor goes in so I can cut access holes in the floor in order to remove/repair/replace the tank as needed. Job done! Neat!
I'd be curious to hear what you used for brackets to mount the tank. Did they all go through the floor, or did you also attach to any parts of the frame? I have a tank on order so am a little behind you in the project. My tank comes with brackets that fit VW Eurovans, and I'm hoping they might be converted to be useful for mounting under the Transit.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I’m using the brackets that came with my Manchester tank, and bolting through the beams up into the floor.

·
Premium Member
2020 Ford Transit
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the bottom the tank fits between these two hollow beams and bolts through them. One had an existing hole the other I hole sawed from below.

and you can see the rib I had to trim.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts