Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Maxx Fan and Dometic AC placement

6186 Views 49 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  xlv
Hi.
We have a high roof, extended Transit 250 and are planning on putting in a Maxx fan Delux and Dometic 200RTX AC and were trying to work out fan placement.
We are planning on putting the AC in the middle of the van but not sure wether to put the fan in the front near the stove or the back above the beds. We are leaning towards the back to we can have more ventilation in the winter near the beds without having to crack the windows (all which are fixed except for the front two).
We figure when we cook we will be wither outside in the summer or in the winter can crack the door a bit to let in ventilation.
Would appreciate any feedback and previous experience knowledge.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
850 Posts
Hi.
We have a high roof, extended Transit 250 and are planning on putting in a Maxx fan Delux and Dometic 200RTX AC and were trying to work out fan placement.
We are planning on putting the AC in the middle of the van but not sure wether to put the fan in the front near the stove or the back above the beds. We are leaning towards the back to we can have more ventilation in the winter near the beds without having to crack the windows (all which are fixed except for the front two).
We figure when we cook we will be wither outside in the summer or in the winter can crack the door a bit to let in ventilation.
Would appreciate any feedback and previous experience knowledge.
I will be doing the same and I'm also trying to decide on placement. I was thinking AC in the back over the bed and fane up front but I'm just not sure. I also want to have room for 2-400 watts of solar and maybe a small spot to sit or stand also.
I will like to see what others have to say.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I will be doing the same and I'm also trying to decide on placement. I was thinking AC in the back over the bed and fane up front but I'm just not sure. I also want to have room for 2-400 watts of solar and maybe a small spot to sit or stand also.

I believe an extended van could have a maxxair in the rear and front, dometic rtx in the middle and 100w panels mounted on each side of the fans for 400w total.

The placement of the ac would be critical, but the middle bay has lots of space between the roof ribs.

Would also require a rack of some kind since the racks extend out over the roof where it starts to slope down in front and gives you more flat space for the solar panels.

I believe most racks for the extended are about 140” in length.

· Registered
850 Posts
I believe an extended van could have a maxxair in the rear and front, dometic rtx in the middle and 100w panels mounted on each side of the fans for 400w total.

The placement of the ac would be critical, but the middle bay has lots of space between the roof ribs.

Would also require a rack of some kind since the racks extend out over the roof where it starts to slope down in front and gives you more flat space for the solar panels.

I believe most racks for the extended are about 140” in length.
I have some concern about the AC in the middle because of that space. I want supports but not sure how I'm doing them yet as I'm putting an AdWag kit in and need to make sure I fit with that.
I will be using a roof rack.

· Registered
1,386 Posts
I have some concern about the AC in the middle because of that space. I want supports but not sure how I'm doing them yet as I'm putting an AdWag kit in and need to make sure I fit with that.
I will be using a roof rack.
I am not familiar with the adwag kit, but if the bay between the roof supports is clear, something like DIYvan’s roof support or something similar should work.

· Registered
850 Posts
I am not familiar with the adwag kit, but if the bay between the roof supports is clear, something like DIYvan’s roof support or something similar should work.

Yes I'm looking at his supports and his mounting options for the AC unit.
I should say I plan on getting his stuff.

· Registered
1,435 Posts
Ac should go at the very rear IMO. Best support for it structurally, and least impact to aerodynamics back there. You can also balance out cooling the van quickly with the rear ac going and the van running with front AC on.

exhaust fan up front near stove, shower, sink is better to remove moisture and promote airflow through the van.

· Registered
84 Posts
Humble Road YouTube channel has a good video concerning structural support for AC unit and load rating of the Transit roof:

Reactions: tcnkla

· Registered
850 Posts
Humble Road YouTube channel has a good video concerning structural support for AC unit and load rating of the Transit roof:
I saw that but I cannot have angles coming down below the crossmembers. I need something flush with those. Roof panels will be right under them.

· Registered
10 Posts
I'll be doing the same in about a month. I have the Dometic Penguin that has a pretty large footprint. My plan is to put the AC just ahead of the C pillar in that first gap (with support), with the Maxxair at the back. I've done a rough measurement and this leaves about 60 inches between each for solar which suits my needs. I had this same setup on my last van and was happy with it.

During the hottest part of the day our time is spent in the front part of the van and we like having the AC there versus right over the bed. I'm in the northern part of California and typically camp in areas where it cools down well at night to where the fan suffices.

· Registered
2022 W2X 350 HR AWD EB
206 Posts
I'll be doing the same in about a month. I have the Dometic Penguin that has a pretty large footprint. My plan is to put the AC just ahead of the C pillar in that first gap (with support), with the Maxxair at the back. I've done a rough measurement and this leaves about 60 inches between each for solar which suits my needs. I had this same setup on my last van and was happy with it.

During the hottest part of the day our time is spent in the front part of the van and we like having the AC there versus right over the bed. I'm in the northern part of California and typically camp in areas where it cools down well at night to where the fan suffices.
This is similar to what I had in mind. I'll be using the Dometic 200RTX AC and the advwag interior kit.

· Registered
850 Posts

I like this plan. Upfront would be better for us too.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I think this is going to be the plan. Put the AC as far back as possible ahead of the C pillar like you mentioned with support and adapters and put the Maxx fan at the very back to pull air back there when needed and provide some ventilation above the sleeping area. There is going to be 4 of us (two kids) so ventilation will be needed.

· Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Here is a layout that would work well. Solaria XT400 is an awesome panel. We can also do two 200 watt panels in a similar configuration. Or move the AC towards the middle with a panel ahead and behind. AC mid-ship would provide better air distribution but could be nice to have it over rear bed. Could also do 200 watt, AC, 200 watt and then vent at rear. I am happy to create a layout once you decide.

All the best
Hein
DIYvan

· Registered
289 Posts
My Transit uses a Fantastic fan instead of a Maxxair fan, and is installed on a non-extended medium roof Transit, so the spacing may be different from your plans. The Dometic Penguin low profile air conditioner is located at the rear of the van where Ford has a 14" spacing between the roof ribs that is ideal for either a fan or air conditioner. The weight of the air conditioner is on the rear door frame and the two 14" spaced roof ribs. A Maxxair fan could be used in place of the Fantastic fan, but with less space available for the solar panels. Hein's roof adapters were used for both the fan and air conditioner installation to fit the arched Transit roof. Excellent quality products. He has different roof adapter sizes, so call to ask him exactly what you need when ordering.

· Registered
850 Posts
Here is a layout that would work well. Solaria XT400 is an awesome panel. We can also do two 200 watt panels in a similar configuration. Or move the AC towards the middle with a panel ahead and behind. AC mid-ship would provide better air distribution but could be nice to have it over rear bed. Could also do 200 watt, AC, 200 watt and then vent at rear. I am happy to create a layout once you decide.

All the best
Hein
DIYvan

Hein, can you show me one with the AC in the front and Maxxair in the back?
How does that single 400w panel do in partial shade? What would it look like with the two 200w panels?
Do you sell the panels?

· Registered
850 Posts
Please send me an email so I can do some other layouts for you. The Solaria panel is wired to work when partially shaded.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Info sent in PM

· Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
652 Posts
I installed mine in the back right above the bed area. Most of the time we'll use it will be at night when we're sleeping so that's why I installed it in the back and there is also more support back there.
The first A/C unit I ordered arrived dented and it took me about two months to get them to agree to take it back!! This really put me in a bind because I wanted to install it at the beginning of my build and build around it. I decided to continue my build and once they took the first A/C unit back I ordered another one.
This made installing the ceiling a little more difficult but it all worked out in the long run.
Sky Building Wood Shade Beam

I framed it out with some 2x4s I cut to size. It's really solid.
Fixture Wood Building Window Shade

The nice thing about having the frame flush with the ceiling is I could brad nail the ceiling to the frame and the nails would be hidden by the A/C cover.
Sky Cloud Building Hood Window

Once you get the A/C unit on the roof (my kid and I did it with no issues in about 2 minutes) The directions say not to move/slide the unit around on the roof because it could damage the rubber gasket. So we put the A/C unit on a blanket and moved it into place, then removed the blanket. At that point it was almost perfect and we were able to gently move it to the exact location.
Light Black Wood Shade Material property

Once it was in place I lined the frame with some tape to seal it and prevent any lose of air into the ceiling compartment.
Audio equipment Control panel Electrical wiring Gas Electronic device

It's actually a real easy install, now you just tighten the screws and the A/C unit is installed and then do a water test.
Fixture Ceiling Composite material Building Wood

I was finally able to finish my ceiling once the A/C unit was installed.
Cloud Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant

I only had room for one solar panel but my 3 Battle Born Batteries are always charged at close to 100%, we tend to drive a lot so they get charged mostly from the driving. I also have a 30 AMP power plug if we're in a camp ground.
Sky Ecoregion Bedrock Vehicle Terrain

My gas mileage hasn't changed at all and every time we used the A/C we got too cold and had to turn it off.
Motor vehicle Hard disk drive Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Computer hardware

I also installed the easy start unit for the A/C.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.