Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Maxx Air Fan (rear) placement question

1228 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  bluffwandering
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed the Maxx Air Fan in the most rear position.
I want to place the fan directly above our bed. The spot of interest is the 14.25'' spot between two lateral structural supports. I will be able to cut a 14'' hole and just miss the structural support; however, the interior flange will need to be screwed through 1 additional sheet of sheet metal.

I placed the flange and it looks like it will fit. I may need to place 2 layers of butyl tape on the interior side of the sheet metal to better conform to the small weld ribs for appropriate plastic-to-sheet metal surface area.

Has anyone done this? do you have photos? run into any problems? words of advice?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 W2X High Roof Cargo T350, 148", EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey
895 Posts
If you're talking about the internal flange (trim ring) that's cut to fit the ceiling/roof thickness, your install sounds too thin. If so, do yourself a favor and build a frame on the inside to seat the flange of the trim ring against and screw into that. Butyl outside only. No need for an adhesive to hold the trim ring. If you don't have an internal frame, the trim ring would rotate 90* and the 4 screws that hold it in place would go into the ribs. That's dicey thin to not pierce the roof. Not the best approach IMHO. If I misread your post please disregard. Good luck.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive design Grey Rectangle Automotive exterior

Light Fixture Lighting Wood Line

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully installed the Maxx Air Fan in the most rear position.
I want to place the fan directly above our bed. The spot of interest is the 14.25'' spot between two lateral structural supports. I will be able to cut a 14'' hole and just miss the structural support; however, the interior flange will need to be screwed through 1 additional sheet of sheet metal.

I placed the flange and it looks like it will fit. I may need to place 2 layers of butyl tape on the interior side of the sheet metal to better conform to the small weld ribs for appropriate plastic-to-sheet metal surface area.

Has anyone done this? do you have photos? run into any problems? words of advice?
Yes, I installed mine all the way in the back. I made a 14"x14" wood frame and glued it to the ceiling. Then I put my ceiling in. Later I cut out the plastic ceiling with a rotozip inside the 14"x14" wood frame. Then I drilled a hole on each corner, went on top and cut out the roof. I already had 12 volt power ran to it. Then when you screw the fan in place, the screws go into the wood for a really good deal. Then I put Dycor over the screws and lip. No leaks and works great!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been done 1000s of times using our external adapter and internal framing to specifically fit that bay. The framing is bonded to the roof and metal beams with 3M windoweld so no screws.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Hein, your a popular dude.

Why 3M windoweld vs. Butyl tape? The butyl tape will still be used between the external adapter and fan body, correct?

Ordering the adapters tonight

· Premium Member
302 Posts
The window weld provides adhesive and sealing. It definitely needs to be left alone overnight with some pressure for a good bond. And a layer of butyl tape on top of the adapter, under the maxxfan mounting ring. The maxxfan mounting screws end up going through the upper bracket, the roof skin, and into the lower brackets to make the whole thing one nice tight waterproof sandwich.

· Registered
427 Posts
You might also consider an off center fan in that same area if you want to keep more of the roof available as a contiguous space. Hein sells offset adapters too and make it easy to install. I went almost as far to the passenger side as I could go so that there is room for surfboards on the drivers side. If I could do it all over again I would probably reverse this and put the fan on the driver's side so that when going up the ladder it would be easier to get on the roof while carrying boards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts