Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been communicating with various areas at Ford last week about the delay in some of the orders we had that were moved back for build dates. I was given a case number to call back on February 24th for a update but looks like something has already happened.

1) Update status 2/21; LKA03773 moved from DAY of March 26th to March 13th
2) Update status 2/21; LKA13582 moved from DAY of March 10th to DAY of April 6th
3) Update status 2/21; LKA59220 moved from WEEK of March 23rd to DAY of April 6th

One moves nearly 2 weeks earlier, another 4 weeks back, while one gets a DAY but not in the scheduled week. These are the first changes in orders for the last few weeks other than ones already scheduled. I will be calling for early on February 24th to get the updated information and pass it along to forum members.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realize I didn’t order through you but could you be so kind as to ask them when they will be building the F4U body? I have had it on order for 6 months. You would think they would at least know when it will be scheduled. I previously spoke with you about this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any of the NEW electronic options like the Front/Rear Split View Camera or Power Sliding Side Door? I have a S4W that was ordered on 9/23 that got a VIN and scheduled build WEEK of December 2nd back on 9/26 that has had multiple delays and is NOW sitting at build DAY of April 6th. A F4W ordered on 1/4/2020 with no VIN or scheduling yet. Only other explanation is your dealer may not have the proper allocation to get your order processed with it being a T-350HD cargo van.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don’t have any of those items that I am aware of. The dealer said he has the allocation. I sent you a list of options on pm (Previously) that are on the van.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
They are showing a lot of backordered options that are sourced from European vendors as I expected from my October/November orders getting backed up to February and orders after that not even getting scheduled build dates.

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan on order..........
66 Posts
Well I'm waiting for some kind of customer service from Ford that would realistically estimate build and ship times for a Transit. I don't want to order a 2020 and get it when the 2021 MY units are starting to be ordered. That would be like taking a double hit of depreciation and buying a new vehicle is tough enough.

I'm anxious to hear what is going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dealer just told me it would be June before they see my van at their lot. I have had it ordered since last august. If they couldn’t produce a product they shouldn’t have taken my order. They should have waited until they had enough parts to build the vans and waited til the 2021 model. This has been one of the more frustrating experiences dealing with any company that I have dealt with. I’m canceling my order. I have wasted 6 months that I could have found another solution. This has been my first experience with ford and will be my last. 10 months waiting to buy a van is unacceptable. Maybe if people start canceling their order other people that waited it out will get theirs sooner.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Give them a break, they only been making vehicles since 1903 and every year is like 1903.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Had the conference call with Ford on Friday. They had to admit that they ran a lot of Fleet orders in front of customer orders when I presented to them evidence of it from pictures I had of FLEET vehicles parked in various lots around the Kansas City area. I found 5 lots with nothing but Amazon, U-Haul, ARS, CINTAS, and other company Transit vans waiting to be loaded on the train or for haulers to load them for transport to other areas of the country. I got close enough to pull off some VINs to verify when some of these units were built.

The day before the conference call we got a email from the Kansas City District Office that allocations for this week (Feb 27th) would not be filled and scheduling would be resumed on March 5th. We were showing 16 allocations to be scheduled for this particular week so those went away. They are showing 15 allocations for the week of March 5th for us so will see if they are going to follow through with scheduling orders. I have various orders from September up through December that are still in 'Unscheduled - Clean' status with NO VINs or projected build dates. Some are on 'Unscheduled - Material HOLD' for the Power Sliding Side Door and one for the 2.0L Diesel engine.

So just like what happened to Mercedes and the Sprinter vans getting backed up for the retail customer when they got a lot of FLEET orders has happened to the Transit retail customer once Ford got loaded up with FLEET orders. It helped Ford very well as with those Corporate accounts they got ALL the money and the local dealers just get the dealer prep/make ready charge for the incoming vans through the service department and nothing for the rest of the dealership.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They are showing 15 allocations for the week of March 5th for us so will see if they are going to follow through with scheduling orders.
Hmmm... Last year, Ford announced the updates for the 2020 about on March 5th. Should be getting close to an announcement for 2021 model year. At this point, if retail orders are not scheduled in the next couple of weeks, may be worth canceling orders and wait for 2021 especially if there any changes of significance like in CrewVan seating, Ecoboost Gen 2, electronic parking brake, etc.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Ford is not even giving a final order date for the 2020 model yet so don't be surprised if they extend the date past its normal June date.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So just like what happened to Mercedes and the Sprinter vans getting backed up for the retail customer when they got a lot of FLEET orders has happened to the Transit retail customer once Ford got loaded up with FLEET orders.
It is likely more than just Fleet orders messing up deliveries - aren’t they still forcing stock units on you (and presumably other dealers as well) while cancelling the last 2 weeks of allocations? Have other dealers had all their allocations also canceled? I know your retail orders are mainly highly customized so does every Unscheduled-Clean order have at least one special option (camera, PSD, diesel, etc.) that is causing this?

P.S. Add one of those options to all those unwanted stock units and it will take Ford months to deliver and keep them off your lot until they are ready to be sold.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ford has not given us ANY of our allocations since mid-January and that is why I started going to Ford and the schedulers on why we were showing allocations each week and then by Friday we were not getting any of them pulled for production. We know on the Power Sliding Side Door and the 2.0L Diesel engine that the status is showing 'Unscheduled - Material HOLD' so I was not concerned with those orders, but when you have a order in the Ford system since September 2019 that has shown 'Unscheduled - Clean' and there is nothing that should keep it from being scheduled, then something is not right. NOW seeing all of the FLEET ordered Transits sitting around the Kansas City area is telling us that this is what is being pulled for production and NOT the dealer stock orders or customer ordered Transits.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have went back to post #10 and added the pictures taken from the rail yard and the area where they add the Fleet decals to the Transit vans before they get either placed back on a holding lot for delivery or sent down the street to the rail yard for shipping. This was the case on the first built units for Amazon where they were not wanting the public to see that Amazon was going to use the Transit vans for their delivery vehicles. Now that they are out on the road, they are placing decals them and you can find them sitting on the storage lots around the area.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting close to some of these FLEET vans in the various storage lots, I was able to get some of the VINS off the small white stickers on the window that have the FULL VIN. Note: The second sticker is a 2019 VIN so you can see that there can be delays in shipping some of the larger Transit vehicles but some of these got upfitted with shelving & equipment that may have further delayed the from getting on a rail car to its final destination.
. From this, I can get the online window sticker and that can tell us when these Transits were built.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was part of the UAW agreement where Ford is going to invest more money in the plant facilities. If they end up building a hybrid Transit or are the contributor to the electric van that may be the Rivian van that Amazon will be ordering starting in 2021, you may see some drastic changes at the plant and why they are not showing last dates for 2020 orders or the start of 2021 initial orders.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can't really fault Ford for running the large fleet orders through first. If it were my company, I would do the same thing. That's where the good money is. Once they start the line on fleet configurations there is no way to insert one-offs for retail customers into the mix. They will get the fleet demand satisfied eventually and, in the process, work out the kinks in fit and component function. In a way, the fleet orders are guinea pigs for getting the new features thrashed out and getting the line up to speed.

·
Registered
2020 AWD CrewVan on order..........
66 Posts
Thanks for informing us. That is a significant amount of vans. Wow, parking lot after lot. Very disappointing for the consumer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts