Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wanted to add 3 (three) pounds to the top of the mast on my sailboat. Haul boat over at the dock until top of 40 foot mast is in the water. Have five of my soon-ro-be-former friends climb on the side of the boat. The boat did not sink so proceeded to measure plus or minus weight at top of mast. "Weight aloft" is bad; the generated inertia is worse. I did NOT add the three pounds. Weight times "arm" (distance) produces a "moment".
A "moment" can be either good or bad. I like good moments.

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,860 Posts
I understand 'moments' when applied to a weight around a center of gravity. I'm currently learning how to fly a glider, and this comes into calculation often.

3 pounds to the top of a 40 foot mast on a boat that rocks and relies on water displacement for stability is vastly different than adding 30 pounds to the ceiling of a vehicle on hard ground that has already been tested and approved for a load of 420 pounds on the roof.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to recycle an old thread. This is a great thread and I'm interested to learn about others experience with low surface energy plastics. Are there other glue systems that work? has anyone tried the flame approach with polypropylene to energize surface before gluing? Any other pics of builds using plastic panels versus plywood? Any other materails used for finishing the panels other than speaker carpet? I'm working with ford cargo paneling to created finished backing behind cabinets and I'd like to finish the ceiling in a similar manner.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts