Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the rig out of gas.

Had the distance all settled with a little room to spare coming back from Mammoth down 395/14 route. Stopped for gas at the rest-stop before the interchange... uh... closed to remodel? Weird. Don't need to go to that messy joint at Pearson; we'll hit the one after that. Ew. Closed permanently? Okay... well, calculates out fine to make it to Mojave. And there's Jawbone, worst case.

Uh... it's dropping much faster than it should be. Yikes. Gonna barely make Jawbone.

Uh... yeah... Jawbone is not open. Crap. Like 15 miles to California City. That doesn't seem likely. Thankfully, our son is already in Mojave in the Tesla - charging it. We get about 5-6 miles and it's done.

Kids bring us a gallon and we get to find out what the she-wee in the glove box is about! And some newfangled thing with the gas-can that worked well once we figured it out. But it ain't the old-school cans that I'm used to. See my hair blowing wildly? 30mph head-wind; that's what killed the distance anticipated... duh.

Made it to Cal City station - what a lovely place. 馃槕

Better to do it to an Eco Boost than to the old Sprinter, right?

Registered
What I learned:
California City has a gas station!
I thought it was just plots of desert, with 1% having houses on them. Also a good place to enroute boondock on the hwy 58 side, just East of the radio tower.

Did it crank for a long time, or did the elec fuel pump get everything primed fast?

Registered
Fore sure. We took the precaution of running some emergency drills/dry runs with recovery kit before our big Death Valley trip last year - that's when we discovered what the she-wee was really for and what a total pain it is to add gas from a jerry can. I ended up swapping out our gas cans for the new CARB compliant ones which don't need the she-wee.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I learned:
California City has a gas station!
I thought it was just plots of desert, with 1% having houses on them. Also a good place to enroute boondock on the hwy 58 side, just East of the radio tower.

Did it crank for a long time, or did the elec fuel pump get everything primed fast?
Yeah... man... some people-watching there!

It fired right up in a couple seconds. I was curious, too... but - as with so much on this rig (versus the Sprinter) - not much drama to it. Poured it in and turned the key.

I recently had to help a friend figure out one of those spouts like your gas can has. It's really not bad, but my friend liked it better after we took it apart (pull hard to get past the o-ring) and removed the spring.
I guess that new gas-can is alright. In hind-sight, it might have worked without the she-wee but I was feeling old-man-grumpy about it not being simple and all so it didn't occur to me to see if that would've worked. I'll give it a try, come to think of it.

Not having a dedicated breather opening seemed strange at first. But it worked.

Registered
I found that out trying to siphone gas prior to webasto install. Even after getting past the upper anti-siphone lip you hit a screen before the tank.

Headwind on a trip to Big Bend years ago taught me to fear the impact on mpg, even in an SUV. I drive too fast and combined with wind the "miles to empty" can be half of what it says.

Cheers.

Registered
I think you may be missing the white long neck funnel that comes with the Transit. It comes in a plastic bag as part of the items from the factory in a larger bag and we usually place it in the glove box. It is used when you add gas from a fuel can and it opens the second trap door that is towards the fuel tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you may be missing the white long neck funnel that comes with the Transit. It comes in a plastic bag as part of the items from the factory in a larger bag and we usually place it in the glove box. It is used when you add gas from a fuel can and it opens the second trap door that is towards the fuel tank.
If you're referring to OP (me), we had it. But when my kid found it after we first got the van, he nailed it: why is there a shewee in the glove box?

Registered
Most women have problems using a She-Wee if thieve never used one before, best to give it to her and let her practice in the shower, so when the times comes that its needed, she wont instinctively squat and thereby make the She-Wee useless.... Which it really is anyway. 馃馃榿馃毥

Registered
You've studied this?
LOL.. OK, since my wife aint on here, I'll just tell you, the first time she tried to use it, she said it was a challenge... I mean women don't pee standing up, sure they pee in woods, but they squat, so she had to train herself to use it. in the end she said the She-Wee is emergency use only.. LOL ITS GREAT BEING A MAN!!! But now with an enlarged prostate, I'm glad my name on has 5 letters, I can still write my name in the snow, but its getting harder and harder

Registered
LOL.. OK, since my wife aint on here, I'll just tell you, the first time she tried to use it, she said it was a challenge... I mean women don't pee standing up, sure they pee in woods, but they squat, so she had to train herself to use it. in the end she said the She-Wee is emergency use only.. LOL ITS GREAT BEING A MAN!!! But now with an enlarged prostate, I'm glad my name on has 5 letters, I can still write my name in the snow, but its getting harder and harder
TMI - But since you started. Now you can print instead of using cursive. Man this snow is cold .... and deep too. I could not restrain myself , but that's it I'm not sinking any lower.

Registered
Tell your womenfolk to try the P-Style. Easier to use and a cinch to clean.

Wouldn't work for your gas can, though, because it is not a funnel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell your womenfolk to try the P-Style. Easier to use and a cinch to clean.

Wouldn't work for your gas can, though, because it is not a funnel.
Our women folk do better than us guys (without the shewee). Man, they're finished fast!

Registered
Our women folk do better than us guys (without the shewee). Man, they're finished fast!
This has long been a prerequisite for me when considering prospective partners.

Registered
Funny story.

Wife loves the C- Head. Separator would be useless in your situation however.

Because of the coloring of the gas gauge I once mistook the 1/4 mark for empty and drove panicked for the nearest gas station unnecessarily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts