Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you KC for a great thread - - I'm calling various installers in SoCal now. Regarding the question on proper lubricant, I just got off the phone with an Eaton technical rep and he said in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, the best oil to use is a Lucas brand, petro-based (non-synthetic), 75w90 or 80w90 with NO additives or friction modifiers. There was no hemming and hawing - - This is what they recommend, period. I neglected to ask him about recommended change intervals, but I'll re-post if I get some additional information. Hopefully, this puts to rest the question of which way to go on the lube question.
I think this must be the oil that they recommended: https://lucasoil.com/products/gear-oil/gear-oil/heavy-duty-80w-90-gear-oil

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the TruTrac Torsen type diff installed in my 2016 T-250 yesterday. No issues or wierd challenges whatsoever - - Van was dropped off and picked up the same day. To reiterate KC8's xlnt tech data (with price change):

Ford 9.75" Eaton Detroit TrueTrac | 34 Spline - 2019 street price - $640
- P/N 913A477
- Requires: 1.370" diameter 34 spline axles (these are the OEM axles in my Transit)
- Torque Bias Ratio: 3.5:1
- Cover = 12 bolt
- Pinion nut: 1-1/8

- Fits all OEM Transit gear ratios (mine is a 3.73)

Total Cost (P & L): $1305

This differential is installed the most in 2011-2017 Ford F150s with 9.75 rear ends (likely thru 2019, too)

Looking forward to trying it out next month on a camping trip towing my small camper. For SoCal readers, I had J&S Gear in Huntington Beach do the install. Good guys who really know diffs & gears. Thanks to their expert shimming & fitment, the TruTrac is actually quieter than the OEM Ford diff. Very smooth and transparent in around-town driving. One additional note on preferred lube for the TruTrac: They used Lucas 85w140 vs. the 80w90 mentioned by Eaton. J&S said they prefer the 85w140 in the warmer climate of SoCal, but either the 80w90 or 85w140 is just fine - - No real difference in performance or longevity. The most important thing is to use the mineral (non-synthetic) version. Synthetic won't actually harm the TruTrac; it just doesn't work as well because the syn is too slippery and compromises the max potential traction of the TruTrac.

Lastly, a note on Traction Control System with the TruTrac. J&S said "Fughettaboutit." Since the Transit has braking assisted TCS, it actually works in concert with the TruTrac. This appears to be corroborated in the Eaton TruTrac Owners Manual that came with the unit: "The bias performance of the TruTrac complements and enhances brake-based traction control systems." So, about the only time I could see where you'd want to turn-off TCS is in reverse if/when you want to disable the throttle restriction feature of the TCS. Other than that, sounds like it's pretty much a moot point.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any one had one of these installed in or around Portland, Oregon?
Northwest Quadvan LLC
Address: 3125 NW Front Ave, Portland, OR 97210
Phone: (503) 224-3629
John is the owner. The website is crap but he is good face to face or on the phone.
Lead time may be a problem, he is currently backlogged on his 4x4 work until May of 2020 but LSD may be quicker since it is a small(er) job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quadvan does a great job on the conversion, the front diff is a Raptor 8.8 unit and the stock Ford 9.75 rear is plenty strong.
Eaton TruTracs front and rear seem to work well and the Ecoboost puts out plenty of torque at a decently low rpm for off road use.
Watch me lift a few tires in the air...
All questions welcome.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I just wanted to add and say I changed my differential fluid with this Lucas fluid a few months back. I bought a gallon and had some left over. Everything went great. Since its a dino (non-synthetic) fluid that Eaton recommends I will be changing it every summer from now on (I drive between 15k and 20k miles a year). I used FordTechMakuloco excellent video here as reference (same exact rear end as ours)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Quadvan does a great job on the conversion, the front diff is a Raptor 8.8 unit and the stock Ford 9.75 rear is plenty strong.
Eaton TruTracs front and rear seem to work well and the Ecoboost puts out plenty of torque at a decently low rpm for off road use.
Watch me lift a few tires in the air...
All questions welcome.
I wish you could film this (or similar) in 2wd (RWD) mode, if that’s possible (or is yours full-time 4wd?). I was kind of surprised there was such slippage with the Eaton’s, so real curious how much of your progress was due to 4wd. In other words, would you have, could you have, done this without any help from the front axle (but with the help of the TruTrac)? I probably would have tried (with one-wheel-drive: full open rear diff), but who knows, I might have needed a tow. On a number of occasions, I’ve been known to pray: “Lord, if you get me out of this, I promise I won’t do it again.” One of these days he’s going to answer back saying: “you promised you wouldn’t try this again, you’re on your own this time.” Doomed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great info on the TruTrac diff!

I'm curious if anyone has done or found a comparison of the TruTrac to the OEM limited slip diff?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wish you could film this (or similar) in 2wd (RWD) mode, if that’s possible (or is yours full-time 4wd?). I was kind of surprised there was such slippage with the Eaton’s, so real curious how much of your progress was due to 4wd. In other words, would you have, could you have, done this without any help from the front axle (but with the help of the TruTrac)? I probably would have tried (with one-wheel-drive: full open rear diff), but who knows, I might have needed a tow. On a number of occasions, I’ve been known to pray: “Lord, if you get me out of this, I promise I won’t do it again.” One of these days he’s going to answer back saying: “you promised you wouldn’t try this again, you’re on your own this time.” Doomed!

Actually I think I could test this out....
Let me see about going back out to the same spot and do the same climb in 2 wheel drive with rear TruTrac vs 4 wheel drive Fr/Rr TruTrac.
Sounds like fun to me :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Actually I think I could test this out....
Let me see about going back out to the same spot and do the same climb in 2 wheel drive with rear TruTrac vs 4 wheel drive Fr/Rr TruTrac.
Sounds like fun to me :)
Awesome! Might help Eaton sell another TruTrac, or two, or....

·
Registered
301 Posts
Great info on the TruTrac diff!

I'm curious if anyone has done or found a comparison of the TruTrac to the OEM limited slip diff?
The OEM limited slip is a spring clutch based system that detects slip and locks up both axles. The best thing about the OEM system is that its only ~$300 option when buying a new van. It is the best bang for the buck if you are ordering a new van or if your van already has one installed. The clutches have friction material and will eventually wear out (just like anything else). Some believe that the clutch type system has an abrupt lockup, and could be jarring or cause issues with control in slippery conditions.

The Truetrac uses all gears and generally has a very smooth transition between power distribution from one wheel to two wheels. It supposedly lasts longer than a clutch type system and is very strong system that is used by off road vehicles and performance drag cars alike. The downside is that it would have to be purchased and installed. The unit is roughly $600 and would incur labor and additional parts to have it installed by a qualified specialized differential shop. It costs between $1000 and $2000 to buy and have the Truetrac installed. Mine was $1000 total, but I had it done when the van was new and the shop was able to reuse the old bearings/parts.

They both accomplish the same thing. If you already have the OEM unit, I would recommend sticking with it unless you have to replace it for some reason. If you need to replace your factory unit, or if your van does not have a limited slip already and you want to install one, have the Truetrack installed. Its universally recognized as a better unit and it will cost you roughly the same to have installed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What did they charge for labor? I'm in Carlsbad and I'm looking for a shop. Thanks!
Been a while, but IIRC, it was $1100 for parts + labor. I paid a bit more b/c I had them do a gear reduction, too (got the 3.55).

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Hey everyone!
Promised an update on my Truetrac conversion. Boy do I have good news! My wife is SO happy we put it in. We had a snow-pocalypse last Feb-March here. More than we’ve ever had in 10 years. Limited slip (and Jesus) saved us!!!! People were stuck left and right. Walmart parking lots, side roads, main roads, you name it.
My wife has several friends who have transits and they couldn’t even get out of their driveway, the slightest hill would send one tire into a spin......so it was a good move.
We continue to have NO strange noises and excellent drive ability. I highly recommend paying the $2K if you don’t have limited slip and want to move around in the snow.

Please see my complete parts list, costs, contact numbers, and steps on this thread on the second or third page!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2020 model so far? It would be going from a factory 3.73 ratio open diff to the Truetrac. Can you see any reason why it would not work? Any major differences between previous models and a 2020 RWD?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Northwest Quadvan LLC
Address: 3125 NW Front Ave, Portland, OR 97210
Phone: (503) 224-3629
John is the owner. The website is crap but he is good face to face or on the phone.
Lead time may be a problem, he is currently backlogged on his 4x4 work until May of 2020 but LSD may be quicker since it is a small(er) job.
I emailed Quadvan about their conversion options and a front receiver bar. Part of the conversation involved regearing.
They told me they only work on the rear differencials while doing 4wd conversions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like the other posters have said, you have the Ford 9.75 rear axle. It is common and had been in many Ford vehicles including most variants of the f150 for the last 20 years. The rear end shop will be familiar with them.

Also like the other posters have said, dealerships don't usually do much rear end work and they don't usually install aftermarket rear end differentials. Your local rear end/drive line/off road shop will have way more experience installing this than a dealership would.

I noticed that you may be unsure whether to go with the true Trac or the factory Ford limited slip. The true Trac is the way to go. No clutch packs to wear out and smooth lockup. Perfect for on road snow traction and light off roading and beach sand. Should last longer than your vehicle with regular gear oil changes.

Make sure your installer does not use synthetic gear oil and does not use friction modifier. True Trac specifically calls for gl5 non synthetic non friction modifier gear oil. They specifically state that synthetic oil and/or friction modifier will cause a decrease in true Trac performance.

Synthetic oil is a better oil generally but It is NOT better in a True Trac.

This should cost you between $1000 and $1500 in parts and labor depending on if your installer can reuse bearings and other parts. My transit had 15,000 miles on it when mine was done and they were able and comfortable to reuse the bearings. I would have no problems paying the extra if they felt they needed to use new ones (I even told them that)

Good luck
[/QUOTEaston
Like the other posters have said, you have the Ford 9.75 rear axle. It is common and had been in many Ford vehicles including most variants of the f150 for the last 20 years. The rear end shop will be familiar with them.

Also like the other posters have said, dealerships don't usually do much rear end work and they don't usually install aftermarket rear end differentials. Your local rear end/drive line/off road shop will have way more experience installing this than a dealership would.

I noticed that you may be unsure whether to go with the true Trac or the factory Ford limited slip. The true Trac is the way to go. No clutch packs to wear out and smooth lockup. Perfect for on road snow traction and light off roading and beach sand. Should last longer than your vehicle with regular gear oil changes.

Make sure your installer does not use synthetic gear oil and does not use friction modifier. True Trac specifically calls for gl5 non synthetic non friction modifier gear oil. They specifically state that synthetic oil and/or friction modifier will cause a decrease in true Trac performance.

Synthetic oil is a better oil generally but It is NOT better in a True Trac.

This should cost you between $1000 and $1500 in parts and labor depending on if your installer can reuse bearings and other parts. My transit had 15,000 miles on it when mine was done and they were able and comfortable to reuse the bearings. I would have no problems paying the extra if they felt they needed to use new ones (I even told them that)

Good luck
We would like to have a True Trac installed on our 2019 T350 Transit with 11,000mi. We were told by a differential shop that they would not do it because it would void our warranty. They suggested having Ford do it which we do not want to do. Whats your thought on the warranty issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Complete Truetrac swap outline

Hey guys. As promised here’s the final breakdown for having a shop install a Truetrac in a 2017 Transit 350 XLT with a 3.31 axle (9.75”L with 34 spline):
(You can talk to Rusty at West Coast Differential on any questions you have, Eight00-510-0nine50)
Quick swap steps info:
Have spare bearings, races, and the shim kit ready just in case anything is damaged during the swap (even if you have low miles). Most professional shops will not reuse the old ones for liability.
When you pop in the Truetrac, use the factory shims as your base.
You MIGHT have to use a few shims from the kit.
The shims are easy to install - they're installed outboard of the races.
PARTS:
Eaton Trutrac, part 913A477, $640 (incld tax)
Shim kit: Yukon SK SSF9.75, $50
Bearing: (standard 9.75 Ford axle) Timken NP343847 ($34 x 2)
Race: (standard 9.75 Ford axle) Timken NP372019 ($16 x 2)
MasterPro GL5 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-90, 2.9L needed ($12 x 3)
New ring gear bolts and shaft bolts are mandatory for this job per Ford dealership! If you bring these bolts in to your shop you won't have to pay the 180% price increase when they order them for you!
Shaft bolts (5 per shaft), Ford part W716084 S439 @ $3.50 x 10
Ring gear bolts, Ford part F75Z 4216 AA @ $3.85 x 12
Differential gasket, Ford part HL3Z 4036 A, $21
Sway bar bolts, Ford part W500633 S442 @ $2.50 a piece
Labor $900 (~8 hours)
Total: $2020! Aiy! :|
(people, have a limited slip put in when you buy it new in the factory!!! = $385!) :eek:
Drivability: no noises, whistles, or whining. Sounds great and I feel no change in handling. Cornering is totally fine.
I’ll update after a couple years in the snow. Thanks everyone and hope this helps! :D
We would like to have a Trutrac installed on our 2019 Transit T350 with 11,000 mi. We were told by a differential shop that they wouldn't do it because it would void the warranty. Do you know anything about this having added one yourself. Also, have you been pleased with it? Any issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The OEM limited slip is a spring clutch based system that detects slip and locks up both axles. The best thing about the OEM system is that its only ~$300 option when buying a new van. It is the best bang for the buck if you are ordering a new van or if your van already has one installed. The clutches have friction material and will eventually wear out (just like anything else). Some believe that the clutch type system has an abrupt lockup, and could be jarring or cause issues with control in slippery conditions.

The Truetrac uses all gears and generally has a very smooth transition between power distribution from one wheel to two wheels. It supposedly lasts longer than a clutch type system and is very strong system that is used by off road vehicles and performance drag cars alike. The downside is that it would have to be purchased and installed. The unit is roughly $600 and would incur labor and additional parts to have it installed by a qualified specialized differential shop. It costs between $1000 and $2000 to buy and have the Truetrac installed. Mine was $1000 total, but I had it done when the van was new and the shop was able to reuse the old bearings/parts.

They both accomplish the same thing. If you already have the OEM unit, I would recommend sticking with it unless you have to replace it for some reason. If you need to replace your factory unit, or if your van does not have a limited slip already and you want to install one, have the Truetrack installed. Its universally recognized as a better unit and it will cost you roughly the same to have installed.
When you had your TrueTrac installed were you told that it would void your warranty? We would like one installed on our 2019 T350 but the differential shop we spoke with said they wouldn't do it because it would void the warranty.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts