Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford in Greensboro had one front and center, right by the road, posed nose to nose with a new Connect. I wasn't driving so I couldn't stop, but I'll go by tomorrow for some photos if I can.

Glad to see they're finally circulating! Sure looked nice...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it for a quick test drive... It's actually a medium roof Transit 150, 3.7.

Overall - very nice.

The quality was readily apparent. This is hardly surprising, Ford makes the nicest trucks in the US... I think most Chevy/Dodge fans will even agree with that.

Doors are way nicer than the Sprinter, all around. You can open a side door 4 inches, then poke it shut with one finger. Sliding door is QUIET. All doors shut with authority.

Driving was comfortable. The 3.7 did OKAY empty. Expect a lot of downshifting. This is covered elsewhere. Not the motor I would choose. One thing worth noting - the dash read 26-28 mpg the entire time I was driving. Another user reported abnormally low numbers... I doubt it's that low, or that high. Say what you will, I won't trust it until we get a bunch of reports ODO divided by gallons.

It was a humid, 90 degree day and the van was sitting in the sun, sealed up, on blacktop... It was HOT. The AC made it comfortable after only a few minutes of driving.

One last thing to note: I'm 5'9" 160 pounds size 11 boot, and passing from the back to the drivers seat was harder than a Sprinter, but not tooooo bad. I did it a few times and quickly found a groove. If you're a giant, I'd test it first. Also, I could stand and walk comfortably in the medium roof. 5'11 and you might be bumping your head on the ribs.

Few photos:

http://i.imgur.com/dVzQKbc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dsa4pF4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/LeV6W5f.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WapaYik.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WP6fJo9.jpg

All high res, so you can zoom.

This is the only one on the lot and the salesman said there aren't many of them in circulation yet, he doesn't know when they'll be getting more, or have any ETA for diesel availability.

Over all, it kicked azz. Can't wait to test drive the ecoboost and diesel! Initial thoughts: A+... The quality is right there in front of you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the 3.5 or 3.2, this thing will really give ANY Sprinter a run for it's money.

Just want to reiterate - I was impressed.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The design of the Sprinter should not be very difficult to improve. From the comments on this forum and my personal inspection of Transits, the Transit appears to be a better design. I will know for sure when I drive one. It should be better since Ford has had the opportunity to dissect a Sprinter while they were designing the Transit. I am sure there are piles of Sprinter parts in the engineering offices of Ford. Kind of like how did they design this? How can we redesign it to make it better.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Now is the time that that attitude will become apparent in lower vehicle sales. Could have,would have, should have! The Sprinter could be an excellent vehicle if Mercedes had continuously improved the product. By ignoring obvious design defects they have created owners that want out. I am one of those owners.

·
Registered
370 Posts
With the 3.5 or 3.2, this thing will really give ANY Sprinter a run for it's money.

Just want to reiterate - I was impressed.

thanks for the Imfo, the one I took must have had a bad readout or something for the MPG issue, your makes a lot more sense

As far as giving a Sprinter a run for its money, not even close my sprinter would leave it for dead as far as acceeration is concered

Thanks again, hopefully you can test drive the Ecoboost or diesel

·
Registered
266 Posts
>>> thanks for the Imfo, the one I took must have had a bad readout or something for the MPG issue, your makes a lot more sense

I don't think the Average readout was bad. But... If you don't do a reset before your test drive, you don't have a chance of understanding what the true Average MPG was for your test drive.

Here's another example. Let's say the readout was last cleared 7 days before your test drive. And, that during those 7 days, the van was subject to many different short test drives, where potential curious buyers are naturally seeing what the engine can do, how much get-up-and-go the van has etc. At the end of that 7 day period the Average MPG will be very low.

Then you take the van out for your test drive, without resetting the Average display. The Average MPG display then comes already highly biased to a very low Average MPG. Taking the van out in that condition, even for several dozen highway miles will have little effect on raising the *Average* MPG from when the last time it was cleared.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
"One last thing to note: I'm 5'9" 160 pounds size 11 boot, and passing from the back to the drivers seat was harder than a Sprinter, but not tooooo bad. I did it a few times and quickly found a groove. If you're a giant, I'd test it first. "

s4s,
Thanks for the pictures. Have to think that for those wanting a bigger area in order to walk from cab to back of van, that maybe it would be worth looking into a wheelchair transfer seat platform. They slide further back than original seats, and they rotate towards the back. Making it easier fo those of us in wheelchairs to transfer, but it would also give able bodied persons the ability to be facing the back of van from behind the normal seat layout. Eliminating need to sqeeze between the seats.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
USMC Vet do you have (or know of) pictures of the wheelchair transfer seat platform? Would this allow for easy adaptation of aftermarket captains chair so it can swivel?
LongRide,
Here is a link to the B & D transfer seats. They have one for the transit connect and are working on the Transit. When previously thinking of a sprinter, the VA was going to put a Recarro Ergomed captains chair on it. The whole system would slide to the back and then swivel.

Seat lifts and Transfer Seats for Special Vans

Click on "Home" to view picture of 1 model.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Longride, and anyone else concerned about walking room between seats,

Received an e-mail from B & D (in IL ) today, about transfer seat for new Transits.
They are working on one, should be available for purchase in 3-6 months, so count on 1st of the year.

They put one out for the TC, where there is a height difference between seat and raised cargo area, so shouldn't be too big of a problem, even with batteries underneath.

Semper Fi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts