Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Love buying "Stuff" for my Campervan, what are your favorite Campervan items?

4177 Views 58 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  Tcaschy021
Almost every week it's Christmas at my home. With a newer campervan, I am always finding helpful little nick knacks to buy for the van.

Some of my favorite purchases have been........
String Lights that go on my awning, purchased at a Walmart Supercenter. Now my favorite store while RV'ing.
Sky Vehicle Mode of transport Shade Asphalt

Sticky Pads for the counter - while in no way full proof, are quite helpful when placed in a few places.
Sticky Pads for counter top

Nightlights - These give on the right amount of light when you just want a little bit of light to go back into the van and get something. Plus, someone on the forum here mentioned it is a good reminder that the inverter is still on.
Night lights

Felt Storage bins - The large size one fits perfectly in my closet and is plenty large for most of the clothes I need. I saw these on an RV Couples YT channel that had a Winnebago Revel up in Alaska.
Felt Bins

Picnic Table Dining Lamps - my latest purchase that hasn't yet arrived. When it gets dark it is pretty hard to get the right light for dining. I am usually blinded and my food is hiding in the shadows. Hopefully these will be as cool as they look.
Rechargeable Table Lamps

What are your favorite Campervan Do-dads?
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Loving this thread! I've made many bookmarks.

Here's one of mine: a rollable table from REI. Many versions of this. I had my built-in propane stove die on a 4000 mi trip and I bought a Camp Chef Everest 2-burner propane stove and a 5lb propane tank. Cooking outdoors under my (then) new awning was AWESOME. I never wanted to cook indoors again if I could help it. Picnic tables are cool and all, but can't always drag one under the awning or park close enough. The aluminum surface needs no hot pads. BTW, that Camp Chef stove KICKED A$$ over my built-in stove by a factor of like 400%. (I had a VW Westfalia for decades). This plus a good, seasoned iron pan made many a happy meal (not to be confused with the sad, fast-food kind).

· Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van
444 Posts
think of a way to adequately gouge glass to make it not slippery / smooth;
i was thinking more like a light 'frosting' effect. maybe even the right kind of sandpaper would be easier.

· Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
862 Posts
i was thinking more like a light 'frosting' effect. maybe even the right kind of sandpaper would be easier.
Not even sure this would be sufficient enough to make it not skip off the cooktop. Its an electromagnet working at like 24khz so its essentially physically vibrating the pan around. Not sure sandpaper marks would even do anything unless you seriously gouged it which would then probably 1) look like complete crap 2) may not even make the pan function anymore? IDK just use the silicone pads lol :)

· Registered
6,716 Posts
maybe sandblast or acid etc, but still doubtful that the COF would be as high as the silmats
also would eliminate the ease of cleaning benefit of the smooth surface
bonus for the mats is if you have an oven, you can bake stuff on them and they are really easy to clean

· Registered
2017 T150 med roof SWB
202 Posts
Not even sure this would be sufficient enough to make it not skip off the cooktop. Its an electromagnet working at like 24khz so its essentially physically vibrating the pan around. Not sure sandpaper marks would even do anything unless you seriously gouged it which would then probably 1) look like complete crap 2) may not even make the pan function anymore? IDK just use the silicone pads lol :)
thats not how induction works.
It basically works like a power transformer with the pan being the secondary. The power transfer is all electromagnetism. The heating up is because of the frequency of AC and the resistance of the metal.

· Registered
438 Posts
Paper towel holder works fine; but towels roll off if left on there and we get into some rough roads. If someone's got a similar paper-towel holder with some mechanism that stops it from unrolling, I'm interested!
I like this one, has better reviews, fits Costco towels & looks to have similar mechanism as the one on my home kitchen counter.

They also sell a short one for TP which you could use for TP .....or use for half rolls of paper towels if you have a tight space. In my Four Wheel Pop Up Camper I used to cut the paper towel rolls in half - I'm old, these were the days when paper towels weren't perforated for the "half sheet" and we used to put the half roll into a coffee can and pull them out thru a slice in the lid. Anyhow, you could do the half size or full size.

· Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,887 Posts
I like this one, has better reviews, fits Costco towels & looks to have similar mechanism as the one on my home kitchen counter.

They also sell a short one for TP which you could use for TP .....or use for half rolls of paper towels if you have a tight space. In my Four Wheel Pop Up Camper I used to cut the paper towel rolls in half - I'm old, these were the days when paper towels weren't perforated for the "half sheet" and we used to put the half roll into a coffee can and pull them out thru a slice in the lid. Anyhow, you could do the half size or full size.

Ooo... and that's prettier, too! Nice!

· Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
862 Posts
thats not how induction works.
It basically works like a power transformer with the pan being the secondary. The power transfer is all electromagnetism. The heating up is because of the frequency of AC and the resistance of the metal.
Oh ok. I just got the info from here so I guess its wrong.

How does an Induction Cooktop work?
An induction hob cooktop an incredibly powerful, generally 24 kHz high-frequency electromagnet, designed to create an electromagnetic field which goes on to rapidly and directly heat up the entire lower surface of your pots and pans.

How Does Induction Cooking Work | InductionCooktopExpert

· Registered
2017 T150 med roof SWB
202 Posts
Oh ok. I just got the info from here so I guess its wrong.

How does an Induction Cooktop work?
An induction hob cooktop an incredibly powerful, generally 24 kHz high-frequency electromagnet, designed to create an electromagnetic field which goes on to rapidly and directly heat up the entire lower surface of your pots and pans.

How Does Induction Cooking Work | InductionCooktopExpert
pretty much what I said, but longer form and more detailed.
It's induction of a ferro-magnetic material. Vibration is nowhere in it.

· Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
862 Posts
pretty much what I said, but longer form and more detailed.
It's induction of a ferro-magnetic material. Vibration is nowhere in it.
Sorry man, not beat a dead horse here but the article clearly says:

Font Screenshot Document Number

I'm done. Back to the topic buying stuff...

Simple thermometer/hygrometer with magnet. Easy quick glance to see what the temp is in the van. Battery has lasted 2+ years.

Rectangle Font Number Symbol Brand

· Registered
2017 T150 med roof SWB
202 Posts
Sorry man, not beat a dead horse here but the article clearly says:

View attachment 181975

I'm done. Back to the topic buying stuff...
Electrons, not atoms, electrons.
This is why it has to be a ferromagnetic material.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just see so much misinformation about induction cooktops.
There is actually a cottage industry of products for people who are afraid of electromagnetic 'radiation' from induction cooktops, computers, microwaves etc.
(its non-ionizing radiation, as opposed to ionizing radiation you get from uranium).

· Registered
444 Posts

· Registered
444 Posts
Electrons, not atoms, electrons.
This is why it has to be a ferromagnetic material.

I'm not trying to be rude, I just see so much misinformation about induction cooktops.
There is actually a cottage industry of products for people who are afraid of electromagnetic 'radiation' from induction cooktops, computers, microwaves etc.
(its non-ionizing radiation, as opposed to ionizing radiation you get from uranium).
i think electrons "vibrate" more in your AC wires, of course DC has them both beat

· Registered
2017 350 XL HD passenger
862 Posts
Add some mesh to the upper overhead console for better storage:
Automotive design Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive mirror Bumper

41 - 59 of 59 Posts