Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up some paving blocks for a yard project. Loaded them in the back of my 350. 12 blocks didn't even seem to make it lower but it did. It lowered the front(?) just enough to catch on the curb as I backed out. Ripped my lower deflector half off. I had to finish the job to get home.
Part # ck4z-17626-a

Anyone living without this?? Seems to be the only thing protecting the lower radiator. Very little at that.
I think I found it for $180 but shipping was crazy. Best I think I have found is $227 to my door.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I destroyed mine on a forest service road last summer (as well as the intercooler...). I replaced it with a skid plate from vancompass. Just a bit more money up front but way more protection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can you just glue it back, and epoxy with a metal backing in the rear side. I don't think people will notice the repair, just a thought.
Reuse, recycle and reduce waste. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$600+ is a bit more. I don't do off road so far. May be overkill. I had heard that not having it could lower my gas mileage buy 3-4 mpg. Anyone seen this? If that is true it would pay for itself fairly fast.

Unfortunately the original one may be to far gone for repair.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the $300 steel one: VAN COMPASS™ FORD TRANSIT INTERCOOLER SKID PLATE (2013+)

I would be SHOCKED if the front air dam had an impact that large on gas mileage. That would be a bigger drop than I received from a roof rack, lift, 4x4 conversion, and around 1000lbs in conversion weight (partly done). My guess is that the change would be barely noticeable, if anything, though it would definitely expose your intercooler to more road debris.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tore mine back (kinda folded backwards) in the parking lot at work last year. Bent it back in position and managed to put about 1/2 the screws back in (sides/rear-ish, hard to describe w/o pic). Two screws that held the front up have been replaced with long, sturdy, zip ties holding the deflector in place. Still holding/working ...

Zip ties, velcro, duct tape ... wish I had invented anyone of these (white-out too) ... :D.

ACE

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you just glue it back, and epoxy with a metal backing in the rear side. I don't think people will notice the repair, just a thought.
Reuse, recycle and reduce waste. :)
I have not done it yet but thanks for suggesting a repair. The price seems to dictate that I try. I have done repairs on parts like this before. I had good luck in the past using the mold-able two part epoxy that you squish together to mix. I rough the surface with wire brush, use mesh for support and just putty it all in place. I was shocked at how strong it was. If that fails I will hang that sucker with zip ties.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done, It was not worth putting duck tape on since no one would see it. I did use about 6 or so zip ties where parts and bolts failed. It was the easiest way to do it. Truth is that sucker is going to get ripped off again so why bother to much. I am not sure it was like this before but the center of that lower deflector droops down quite a ways on mine so not much more clearance than a car.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I destroyed mine on a forest service road last summer (as well as the intercooler...). I replaced it with a skid plate from vancompass. Just a bit more money up front but way more protection.
@abaccus did you cut up and keep the lower plastic trim after installing the van compass intercooler skid plate? Pictures of the installation?

·
Registered
46 Posts
@abaccus did you cut up and keep the lower plastic trim after installing the van compass intercooler skid plate? Pictures of the installation?
Didn't retain any portion of the lower deflector. The skid plate occupies the entire space between the two forward frame rail extensions. All that would be left is 2 small sections on either side. I believe the install instructions also mention discarding entire deflector. I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow. I also have the winch mount, but I don't think that affects the lower deflector at all.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Didn't retain any portion of the lower deflector. The skid plate occupies the entire space between the two forward frame rail extensions. All that would be left is 2 small sections on either side. I believe the install instructions also mention discarding entire deflector. I'll try to snap some photos tomorrow. I also have the winch mount, but I don't think that affects the lower deflector at all.
I ask because without a section of the lower plastic trip there is a gap between the skid plate and bumper cover. Airflow through the intercooler could be impacted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ask because without a section of the lower plastic trip there is a gap between the skid plate and bumper cover. Airflow through the intercooler could be impacted.
Here are a few photos of the front end. It could be that the winch mount covers the gap you're talking about?
IMG_1368[1].JPG

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
@abaccus Yes, the winch mount spans the gap left by no lower plastic trim. I kept my trim to fill that gap. I don't have the expensive winch mount.

Looks like you added on to the intercooler skid with your own additional skid?

·
Registered
46 Posts
@abaccus Yes, the winch mount spans the gap left by no lower plastic trim. I kept my trim to fill that gap. I don't have the expensive winch mount.

Looks like you added on to the intercooler skid with your own additional skid?
That's the Quadvan front axle skid. There's a T-case one a bit further back, as well. Cheap insurance for all the expensive, custom components John and co stuck up there. I would have gotten their intercooler skid instead of the Vancompass one if I hadn't jacked up the front end on a forest service road about 2 months before taking it up to Portland.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts