Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, I'm coming back to this discussion after the "dust" of the pandemic has somewhat settled out. I decided I could buy a van at this time after all. I was kind of disappointed that I ended up pulling the plug on the one I was about to buy from Enterprise in March, as I think it would have been a good one. Very low mileage. However, I was not confident about such a big expense when I didn't know what effect the pandemic would have on my business.
So, once I began looking for a Ford Transit 250 MR or HR LWB again about 2 weeks ago, I was upset to find out that they are a lot more scarce at this point in time, due to the pandemic. In February Hertz had several, now they have none. Enterprise had not a single one in the entire nation. There used to be multiple ones listed in my area back in February, now there are very few. I had actually begun to lean towards getting a high roof version, but these are now hardest to find. I did locate a Ford Transit 350, Medium Roof, long wheelbase in my area today, at a Ford dealer which sells both new and used vehicles, and bought it today. Once the paperwork goes through, I should be driving it home in a couple days.
I am short enough that either medium roof or high roof would be fine for me. The value of the high roof would be to accomodate taller friends and/or have some extra storage space. But I asked a taller person if he felt bowing his head a little in the van would be a hassle, when walking around in there, and he didn't think it would be a problem, Also, I think most of the time anyone inside the van is going to be seated or lying down. The amount of time spent walking or standing would be small, particularly as I will not have a kitchen in the van, I will be using a portable gas stove set on a folding table outside.

I'm very eager to pick up the van and drive it home and finally start on my van conversion!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
For some reason it seems that Transits in New Jersey seem way way cheaper then the rest of the United States , might want to look into New Jersey!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks....I live in California and for me it wouldn't work to buy a van from a seller so far away, but it may work for others...I'd be willing to go maybe 350 to 400 miles but no more than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I thought I had found the van I wanted this week, but realized that I wanted to get a LWB instead of a SWB version of the Ford Transit 250 MR.
I wonder why you prefer LWB than SWB? Unless you want the extended version. As far as I know SWB has a smaller turning radius and also better when you go off road. I maybe wrong though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I prefer LWB because for the particular van conversion that I am planning to do, it works much better to have the additional length. I dont' often go into places where I need to turn around in the middle of the roadway, eg do a k-turn. Three-point turn - Wikipedia I suppose if I ended up needing to turn around and the roadway was too narrow to negotiate that w/ a LWB, I would just put it in reverse and back out again all the way down the roadway.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts