Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cut the hole in my van all ready to install a window and opened a new bottle of primer and it was just a jell. Not usable.

What can I use as a substitute?
Online the soonest I can get any is next Friday.

Thanks

Registered
Sorry, edited because I got confused and was posting about the Sikaflex P2G. But that's adhesive not primer.

But I will leave in that I have heard this same thing about dried up primer from quite a few people (no van, so all I can do is watch window installs on youtube 馃槀 ). They thought that it might be because the van window vendor repackaged it into a smaller container that apparently doesn't have the same shelf life as the Sika container. (Small plastic bottle with a ball-shaped swab on the end.) They had to order and wait right in the middle of their window installs :(

Note to self: "Source fresh primer before starting job." So sorry you have run into this frustration!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3m window weld? available at most ACE hardware stores
On line it still says you should use primer with the window weld. I have 4 tubes of Sikaflex but no primer.
Hoping Noah has a good bottle of it or I may be waiting a week to do my install.

Registered
Go to a collision repair place and ask if they have a product they can sell you or direct you to.
I鈥檝e heard of someone doing this before who was in your situation.
BTW almost the same thing happened to me but I was able to get enough of the primer on the van. It was semi liquid. It all worked and has been through a Seattle winter with no leaks.

Registered
2021 EXT HR Adventure Build in Progress
I used primer and the leftover amount gelled up almost overnight, even with a tight seal.

Van windows direct sells it for $15 and ships fast if you can鈥檛 find a local solution.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noah has som local, it is old but not gelled so I鈥檓 going to use it.

Registered
Van windows direct sells it for $15 and ships fast if you can鈥檛 find a local solution.
Did your VWD primer come in the original Sika container (looks like it is metal and is date stamped)? Or was it re-packaged? I had seen someone mention that the re-packaging might be part of the problem with it being dried up or gelled. Since you have received some from VWD I wanted to double check with you in case that was wrong.

Photo is of Sika 207 primer in original container (this is a small one; it also comes in larger similar containers):

Liquid Bottle Fluid Cosmetics Camera accessory

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did your VWD primer come in the original Sika container (looks like it is metal and is date stamped)? Or was it re-packaged? I had seen someone mention that the re-packaging might be part of the problem with it being dried up or gelled. Since you have received some from VWD I wanted to double check with you in case that was wrong.

Photo is of Sika 207 primer in original container (this is a small one; it also comes in larger similar containers):

View attachment 171994
It was repackaged So I鈥檓 guessing that is the problem.
@Noah Jensen came thru for me and had a real metal can of primer that looks good. So I will be installing my window later today after it cools down a little and the van is not in direct sun light.
Thank you Noah and the forum for the help.

Registered
Thanks for that, Brandon. I didn't want to misspeak since I had not ordered it myself. I've seen this happen repeatedly (youtube, now here) and I would guess most people would be willing to pay more for the "real" Sika 207 because who wants to have this sort of frantic problem halfway into the job?

One couple had made all their window cutouts (six windows), then halfway through found their VWD primer dried up (one container had been slightly gelled but they thought okay; the next one was unusable). They had to try to cover the window holes with plastic while they waited for some 207 they ordered online to arrive. After they got the new stuff they then worried about whether the first container had even done the job properly on the first windows (once they saw the different texture of the new 207).

I mean, now I know so I would just order some separately. But still.

Kudos to @Noah Jensen for reaching out and saving the day (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that, Brandon. I didn't want to misspeak since I had not ordered it myself. I've seen this happen repeatedly (youtube, now here) and I would guess most people would be willing to pay more for the "real" Sika 207 because who wants to have this sort of frantic problem halfway into the job?

One couple had made all their window cutouts (six windows), then halfway through found their VWD primer dried up (one container had been slightly gelled but they thought okay; the next one was unusable). They had to try to cover the window holes with plastic while they waited for some 207 they ordered online to arrive. After they got the new stuff they then worried about whether the first container had even done the job properly on the first windows (once they saw the different texture of the new 207).

I mean, now I know so I would just order some separately. But still.

Kudos to @Noah Jensen for reaching out and saving the day (y)
Had I known about this I would have ordered it before getting my windows and have it on hand.

Reactions: Vanaroo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to Noah I no longer have an open hole in the side of my van. Of coarse I get it installed and an hour later it decides to start raining. I taped over the edges to try and keep rain from getting in. Still in the mid 70鈥檚 out so the urethane should be setting up ok.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Van Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Plant Car Vehicle

Reactions: Vanaroo

Registered
2021 EXT HR Adventure Build in Progress
They repackage / white label the primer. I have opened several new bottles and there were no red flags. I don鈥檛 have any reason to believe that they will be less effective.

The jelling issue was on resuse. So maybe their plastic bottles don鈥檛 seal air tight.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They repackage / white label the primer. I have opened several new bottles and there were no red flags. I don鈥檛 have any reason to believe that they will be less effective.

The jelling issue was on resuse. So maybe their plastic bottles don鈥檛 seal air tight.
The jelling issues was one one bottle opened 3 weeks ago and one sealed bottle from VWD that I opened to use yesterday and it was bad.

Reactions: Mauronic

Registered
In my case I had ordered the window months before I got the van last summer. The van kept getting delayed. Never opened the bottle until I used it. It was gelled but I made it work.
Emailed the company and they replied, 鈥淥h yes, those bottles have a shelf life of only a couple of months.鈥
Well they could have said something. They must have a big vat of the stuff and make a bunch of little bottles. Works for them I guess. Other than that I have no complaints and love the window. It鈥檚 water tight so far and no leaks. It鈥檚 been 8 months.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my case I had ordered the window months before I got the van last summer. The van kept getting delayed. Never opened the bottle until I used it. It was gelled but I made it work.
Emailed the company and they replied, 鈥淥h yes, those bottles have a shelf life of only a couple of months.鈥
Well they could have said something. They must have a big vat of the stuff and make a bunch of little bottles. Works for them I guess. Other than that I have no complaints and love the window. It鈥檚 water tight so far and no leaks. It鈥檚 been 8 months.
I have no complaints about the AMA windows. Just think they should use a better bottling method. The bottle I got was opened 2 years ago and sealed back up and the stuff looked better than the first bottle I got from VWD and that bottle was only 1 month old.
I will leak test my window tomorrow or the next day. I'm hoping it sealed as well as the first one did.

Reactions: Mauronic
1 - 17 of 17 Posts