Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been planning to switch from a utility trailer and my 4runner to a Transit Van for the past year. Then COVID happened so I put that on hold but last night a drunk driver totalled my 4runner...

I'm starting to look for my high roof, extended wheelbase Transit now. I want to build out a utility van that can also be used for camping. Probably the standard bed in the back with storage under it, kitchenette next to sliding door, and storage and couch against driver side wall. No toilet and shower. I have a camp toilet that I'd just pull put to use and I can do outdoor showers or a motel when traveling. I do have a few questions though...

Engine - I was planning on the ecoboost v6 but I heard that there were issues with it until a certain year. What year did they get reliable and add the injector that helps clean the intake valves? Is Diesel a better bet for earlier vans? How many miles is "too much" or is there certain work to look for being done?

Transmission - anything specific to look for on the transmissions? Particular years to avoid? How many miles can these transmissions go before they tend to fail?

Maintenence - what should I look to see has been done? Anything I should specifically inspect when checking them out?

Pricing - I've had two used van dealers tell me that the high roof are hard to find because so many people are making campers during the pandemic. One told me they've been having bidding wars for them... Is this true? Seems odd people would be spending money during a disaster but I admit when COVID hit it accelerated my wanting to finish building my van.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The market is pretty dried up for High roof/Ext options due to covid as demand is high and they stopped making them for a few months.
I plan on ordering a new one at the moment. There are a few in inventory here but their options are just not what i want. (4.10 gearing, not AWD, non limited slip etc)

For not much more, and some waiting, you can get a new Van. Resale should be decent down the road (i hope)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Engine - I was planning on the ecoboost v6 but I heard that there were issues with it until a certain year. What year did they get reliable and add the injector that helps clean the intake valves? Is Diesel a better bet for earlier vans? How many miles is "too much" or is there certain work to look for being done?

Transmission - anything specific to look for on the transmissions? Particular years to avoid? How many miles can these transmissions go before they tend to fail?
the ecoboost that the transit has never got the injectors in the intake, we have the engine that was used on the f150 until 2015 or so, the f150 then got an updated engine. We still use the gen one 3.5 ecoboost. I would stay away from the diesel, money saved in fuel will be eaten up in repair costs quickly.

Make sure the torque converter clutch isn’t slipping and causing a shutter if it’s an early van.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a 2015 extended high roof for sale locally but it has 250,000 miles on it and the dealership wants $22,000. It is the ecoboost so I'm concerned about the high mileage on the engine and tranny.

It has had only one owner which was a Ford dealership, so they claim it has been extremely well taken care of and they have some records to share...

They are unable to provide the differential gearing or whether it has LSD, but say it has the tow package and newish tires. It's also silver which I like much better than white which seems to be the only color that shows up around here... but I'm also good with having an adventure to go pick one up anywhere in the US for the right deal.

·
Registered
405 Posts
@sovamind where are you located? Some parts of the US these vans the price is inflated.

but wow there is no way that I would have bought that for that price when I got my van last December. I paid just under 18k for a 2016 EB high roof, long with 105k. But idk what a good price for one of these is now

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in the PNW but due to being laid off from COVID have the flexibility of driving one back from wherever...

The price you paid and condition of yours sounds like exactly my budget and ideal buy. Hope I can find a similar deal.

Sounds like ecoboost is the engine to look for if I want to tow but I'm still worried about all the issues I've heard with these engines. Is there fixes for them?

·
Registered
405 Posts
It will be hard to find one that isn’t overpriced in the PNW. My sister is in Portland and was looking to buy a medium roof 148 about a month ago when one popped up at a local dealer for a reasonable price. So she went to check it out and got there when the previous owner was dropping it off. 10 min after she got there another buyer came and said he had cash and would buy it if my sister didn’t, he then waited for more than an hr while she took it for a test drive.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Also my personal opinion of the factory LSD is that I wouldn’t use it as a filter for a used van because an Eaton truetrac can be added anytime and the factory LSD will eventually wear out

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LSD is a wishlist item. Not concerned about finding one with it for the same reason you give. Plus maybe in two years I'll do the 4x4 conversion.

What would everyone suggest is the best way to find transits for sale across the US? I've got alerts for CL and OfferUp and eBay in my area but not sure how to search more broadly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts