Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Looking for accessible options

7K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  AbiliTrax 
#1 ·
Don't want a mini-van, so I've been looking at Promaster, Sprinter, Express and Transit info.

With the Express, the roof would have to be cut off in order to raise it, but the 150 has AWD. Local dealer.

The Promaster is front wheel drive, can't get AWD, even aftermarket. No option for sliding door powered by remote. Won't ever have the load in the back to keep it from bouncing around, since it is Front wd. Local dealer.

Sprinter, nice but pricey. 2015 has 4wd option, but dealer is over 100 miles away.

Transit, getting confused by what some links show as options etc. Local dealer. Quigley working on needed 4wd.

Can you get a 250 LWB wagon high roof? Is there an option for dual sliders (one side for wheelchair lift and one for passengers)? Like the 4 dedicated controls for add on options - possibly lift ramp, chair docking system, power slideing door (?)

VA will equip it so I can drive again, but would be interested in any feedback about above or other options that would make it easier for me to get around.

Semper Fi

See less See more
#3 ·
I will try to give you some info,others will jump in
To get the dual silders (left side,right side) you need a Cargo van,not a wagon.
mid or high roof for LWB
Sound like a custom design and starting with a cargo may be best way.
You can get windows in silding doors and back doors (still cargo)
Sounds like you will be driving it, so what I have seen on TV, you won't need a drivers seat.

#4 ·
VANMAN,
I'll be parking wheelchair behind the front seats, centered on them (in door opening area). VA will supply lift, sliding and rotating captains seats for me to transfer into. Along with hand controls and everything else I need to drive. Need will be for factory or after market remote to automatically open slider. (haven't seen anything about that yet on the Web)

Hadn't looked at cargo van for sliders etc. Thanks for pointing that out. I would have had to take the seats out of the wagon anyway to give room for the chair to turn around for parking. Will still need anchors in the far back that seats normally use, for a 3 seat fold down couch, for when I get tired.

Gas milage not really an issue as I usually only put around 5,000 miles per year.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Semper Fi

#5 · (Edited)
I am looking at using it for a handicap van. I have a rare motor neuron disease and I am confined to a power wheelchair. I don't drive. There are basically 3 solutions I am looking at:

1. MV-1. This is a purpose built handicap van. It has a built in ramp. They don't currently offer rear AC. You won't survive a summer in Texas. The major concern for me is offering a more fuel efficient power train. As I understand it they plan to offer a Ford 3.7L/V6 - 6 speed transmission. It is around $50,000.

MV-1 Mobility Ventures

2. Converted Minivan. Basically you buy a minivan and spend $16,000-$20,000 to lower the floor and put in a 5' ramp. This has lots of reliability/maintenance concerns.

3. Ford Transit Wagon. Buy the regular wheelbase/medium roof version and add an under vehicle lift and a way to secure chair to floor. Need to remove some rear seats and the front passenger seat.

Wheelchair Lift & Scooter Lift - UVL Series | BraunAbility

I am guessing the van is around $37K and the lift is around $15K. The only concern for me is the height. I won't be able to park it in the garage and under ground parking may be an issue. I imagine this could be a popular solution for the mobility challenged.

#6 ·
mogulman,

Something for you to consider.
Braun has a "Vangater" lift, which I will probably be getting. Once you are done with lift, it folds towards the back and allows access through door for passengers. That eliminates having the ramp under the vehicle, which could interfere with drivetrain, depending on vehicle.

I'm confined to a powerchair also, but don't want to drive or ride from it. More comfort, better support, ability to recline, heat/cool with aftermarket seats. Ricon has a 6 way power transfer seat base, so it will slide back and rotate so one can transfer into it.

Semper Fi

#8 ·
mogulman,

Something for you to consider.
Braun has a "Vangater" lift, which I will probably be getting. Once you are done with lift, it folds towards the back and allows access through door for passengers. That eliminates having the ramp under the vehicle, which could interfere with drivetrain, depending on vehicle.
Semper Fi
I'll look into it. I have a Permobile M300 lift and it weighs 350# and I weigh 185# so total is 535#. Weight limit is 600#. I am concerned about being so close to limit. The seat I have on the Permobile is very comfortable. I can tilt, elevate, recline and raise my legs. It is easily more comfortable than any vehicle seat. Of course the power wheelchair costs almost as much as the Transit.

#9 ·
mogulman,

Vangater is available with 800 lbs limit.

Also, and I hope the site administrator will allow this, since it is a Transit forum. But it could help you.

There is another option. I saw it for the first time 3 years ago. Believe it was on a Ford pickup, but know they have Chevy's now and possibly SUV's.

You buy the PU (4 dr) with options you want. It is drop shipped to conversion manufacturer, then to you. Believe all factory warranties etc are covered.

What they do is, cut off the, in your case, the passenger side doors and frame. Put it back together as one piece. Attach it to a hydralic system the fits in the second row of seats area. Whole side slides out then drops down. You roll up on platform, secure chair and then the whole process reverses. You are lifted up and the entire passenger compartment slides back in.

Same height as regular PU etc, so no garage proplem or underground parking issues.

Google PU truck conversions, think system is called SVM.

Semper Fi

#10 ·
mogulman,

Vangater is available with 800 lbs limit.

Semper Fi
I checked with a mobility company a year ago and the only one at that time had a 600# limit. Do have a link to the 800# limit Vangater. Some of their 2 arm lifts have a 750# limit. Lifts may work initially at weight limit but they gradually weaken. I want some margin.

I looked at the PU conversions. Not really interest in that. Not enough space for passengers.

#11 ·
#12 ·
VanMan

Any safety , ride or convenience differences between the basic cargo and wagons? Other than the obvious basics.

Different suspensions etc.

Tried to build one online, no option for dual doors on cargo, but I saw it listed on another site. Just couldn't build one like that.

Semper Fi

#15 ·
mogulman,

Talked with factory this morning. 600# is the basic, there is an add on kit that makes it 800#

Semper Fi

Reactions: mogulman
#18 ·
AbiliTrax accessibility options

Good afternoon,

AbiliTrax offers a flexible seating option with their floor system. It can incorporate any BRAUN or Ricon lift mounted on either rear or side doors, removable or stationary seating, stretcher securement, and other options as well. For more information or to locate a dealer, please contact sales@abilitrax.com

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.