Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy - is there anyone that wished they purchased an extended version OR is there anyone that wished they hadn’t?

The additional length seems handy, but that 6’ overhang....?

Looking forward to your comments.

Dake

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have the extended high roof, wouldn’t want anything shorter, main use is a moto-hauler. I didn’t buy it to go four wheeling, if you think a van is the same as a rock crawling Jeep then so be it. You can’t haul motorcycles in a Jeep or camp in it, so remember all vehicles have limitations. Get whatever vehicle will fit your needs and just enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
I've got the extended. Mine is a dually and I think the ground clearance at the back, at least when not fully loaded, is a little higher. I'm not sure if it is suspension or the different tire sizes but visually the dually looks to be higher in the back than the single rear wheel. I have lightly scraped the underside of the hitch a couple of times due to the overhang but with a little practice you get better at approaching those type of places at a slight angle for a little more clearance. Ride-Rite makes an airbag kit for the dually so you could always use an onboard compressor to raise it all the way when needed. I put a wheel under my hitch so if it does drag then it doesn't do any damage. I had two pallets of flooring material weighing about 2,60 pounds total in the back and the van dropped 1 in. You would have to be really loaded to lose a lot of ground clearance on the T350HD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's interesting. Link to the wheel, @GapRunr ?

Ford chose to keep the wheelbase reasonable for practical reasons, it keeps the turning circle smaller and makes it more drivable around town, and enables you to fit within a parking spot on the edge of the lot if you back the rear wheels up to the curb.

If you need long, it's a better compromise than the extra long wheelbases you find on the Sprinter and less so the Promaster, IMO.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a long, frequently think I could have used the extended.
Unless you have constraints with HOAs, city parking, parking garages, or fast hot greasy highly suspect “food” drive throughs, you may find the extended more long term useful.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Extended for me and glad I did. Still tight enough on room as it is. I put a roller on my hitch as well as some parking lots entrances are pretty steep

·
Registered
715 Posts
When I bought mine I needed to park it in The Big City. Almost bought the 130 but glad I at least got the 148. Now that it’s a full time camper instead of a work truck I wish it was extended.

·
Registered
125 Posts
148, not extended and have never felt like I needed more interior room plus I actually fit into All parking spots, everywhere ~ including painted street paralell (yes, I can and do paralell park this thing). Better than some trucks even... I just walked in the door from a week in Charleston, SC and parked downtown several different times. I'd honestly looked at the shorter 130, but there simply wasn't enough room for what I wanted to do without a lot of added complexitry (and cost).

Examine your use case and decide. If you're not using the vehicle for exploring in "tight" parking/driving places ever (urban areas, tight remote spots) then having a slightly smaller vehicle won't matter. Similarly, if you're going to try and cram a full galley and wet bathroom into the van, you're going to struggle with just a 148 (better be good with engineering and compromises). We all do this differently, my answer isn't the right answer for the majority of people on here. I doubt the majority of people replying will have the same use case as you will OP, only you know what's right for you.

·
Registered
148 extended high roof cargo.
35 Posts
i went from a 170" wb Sprinter high roof to a transit 148" medium roof. it sucks. i sorely miss all the room in that sprinter.
had this transit for a year and it just isn't cutting it. am presently on the lookout for a high extended transit and will be much, much happier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
What's your use case? And what's your concern with the overhang?
First, thanks for all the helpful comments,

I plan on using the van for work and play so I need to be able haul 4x8 sheet goods, large tools, etc. and it would be nice to be able to do that without having to dismantle the “cabin” - or one might call that the kitchen/living space. We are a little tall so a queen size bed is a requirement and I want a “garage” under the bed. It just seems without the extended length things get a little tight. The van would replace my F150 truck and 16.5 (box size) camping trailer.

My concerns with the extended length are the departure angle and bottoming out on steep driveways and campsites, the rear swing when turning, and possible handling/sway when towing. Based on the comments so far, the extended length versatility seems to outweigh any concerns.

Dake

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I once saw service station gas pumps destroyed by Rear Swing while I was getting gas, Some guy with a pickup truck pulled long fifth wheel cargo trailer. Ripped the pumps right out of the concrete and scared the crap out of everyone at the station, No fire or explosion.

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
I imagine the rear overhang on a long fifth wheel is greater than that of a Transit, but the danger is still there.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Extended or not depends on your planned use.

I have a 148" not extended and definitely would not want the extended. Prefer to be able to park in a normal parking place. Either parallel parking or at a big box store. With the removal of 4 bolts to remove the table I can haul 4' x 8' sheets of plywood.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My 148" long wheel base van will fit into a normal parking space but barely and so I end up using 2 parking places just because I don't like the ends of my van being so close to the passing parking lot traffic .
Using 2 parking spaces hasn't been a issue with my long and I think a extended would be fine , if I had the extended I would use 2 parking spaces , I don't like the way people overhang there extended rear over the curb , seems like too much hassle and disrespect to people who mow the grass.

I think the main problem with a extended van is how big of a van can you have before it becomes obnoxious to people's views.
Just think of some business owners saying
"Who keeps parking that big a$$ van in tbe parking lot" lol
A long wheelbase high roof is about as big as you can go and barely be acceptable. Imo.
Then again it probably depends what kind of cars your parking next too.
Parking next to a lot full of Mazda miata would make my long high roof look awfully large , next to SUVs not so much.
At work I park next to semi trucks , people seldom talk about my van as being big.

·
Super Moderator
1,666 Posts
I've parked my extended in many big box store parking lots, grocery store, etc. I usually find a spot where I can back in so the overhang is extended over the curb. I don't see how or why this is a hassle. I don't usually spend enough time at these stores to be in the way of the weekly "people who mow the grass". If there isn't an overhang spot then I park in the farthest row from the store and take 1 1/4 spots. On more than one occasion I've come out to see a Mini parked behind me using the 3/4 of the spot behind me. If I was parking in busy shopping center parking lots every day I'm sure I would prefer a smaller Transit, but for the few times I go it's not an issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What GapRunr said. I, too, have a long, tall, dually Transit.

I’m 6’2”, 240 ish. My perception of the interior space of my Transit at times ranges from adequate to

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an extended High Roof T350. I'm converting it to a camper with a long list of must-haves so I needed the extra length. It's a Quadvan so I have a couple extra inches of clearance from that. Plus I have air bags on the rear with a remote so I can raise the back end a couple more inches when I'm in a location where I might drag. I'm still running my stock tires but eventually I'll replace them with a taller tire and gain maybe an inch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts