Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Living in NYC. Transit 250 bumper protection

601 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Transit Authority
Looking to get a bull bar and rear bumper bar. Any recommendations? People are constantly bumping my van while parking in NYC.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2017 Ford Transit 350 Passenger Wagon
167 Posts
Technically the bumper IS the protection. I parked in that city for almost 5 years. The lease return was costly.
However, I recall seeing a variety of stall mat-like things strung across bumpers there.

· Registered
6,716 Posts
Is that a Checker?
Yup. Those are the bumpers that were added in 1974 to comply with the 5 mph federal regulation.
They original bumpers for the first 13 years of production were nicely integrated. In fact, if you look at the rear fender, you can see where they did not changed the indentation in the sheet metal. If you want to see something really neat, search for "Checker Aerobus"

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

· Registered
207 Posts
I don't think there are very many options besides the 'off road' type bars and full blown bumper replacements (backwoods, aluminess, etc) and they are like 1.5k to 3k a piece. I like the aluminess front baja bar and the backwoods rear bumper.

Currently I have a small back step on my hitch that sort of acts as a barrier but I'm sure someone will manage to hit the rear bumper anyways soon enough. Been trying to justify buying a front bar. Hard to justify the price for me but protection from a deer going through the radiator would be nice..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts