Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to minimize the numerous threads about the topic, and to have a one-stop answer center, let's contribute to this thread by keeping speculation, opinion (me>:D), and lengthy discussions out.

If you have used a tire size successfully, list that tire size.
If the tire rubbed, say yes or no and keep description/story to just one sentence clarifying the situation if needed.
If you had to make modifications, keep the description/story to just one sentence; and do NOT provide a complete instruction manual.

It would be great if we could the thread make it look like a technical manual entry rather than a personal blog.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Please also include load rating of your tested example.

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
245/75r16 Cooper Adventurer H/T
load range E, load index 120
no modifications or rubbing, have not tried in spare tire well.

Still very pleased with over 30k miles on them

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sr. Bill ...

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 ~ LT255/70R16 (30" diam.) Load Range: E 120/117S (3,085 lbs.)
No rubbing. No modification. Stock aluminum rims. Will not fit in spare mount.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 ~ LT255/70R16 (30" diam.) Load Range: E 120/117S (3,085 lbs.)
No rubbing. No modification. Stock aluminum rims. Will not fit in spare mount.
Nice looking and appealing tire that had me interested but judging from reviews I took a look at, might be noisier on the highway than I'd prefer. Especially as the miles add up.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
List to date:

Stock size:
235/65/16, no modifications needed, fits in spare tire mount

245/75r16, no modifications needed, no info on spare tire mount

255/70R16, no modifications needed, does not fit spare tire mount

245/70R17, modifications needed, using 2.5" lift, fits in spare tire mount

265/70-17, modifications needed, using 3" lift, no info on spare tire mount

(note: load rating depends on brand and model of tire, sizes will be the same regardless of brand in most cases, so I did not include the load rating or brand in the summary)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Probably throw in the make/model of the tire after the size in your summary. Tires with the same size rating from different brands may differ in actual size.

It would also be more accurate if people knew their aftermarket wheel width. The real world size of the same tire will change if mounted on narrower or wider aftermarket wheels.

@surly Bill, you seem to have too much time. If you come over, my list of projects will keep you busy and off the street. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
List to date:

Stock size:

235/65/16, no modifications needed, fits in spare tire mount

245/75r16, no modifications needed, no info on spare tire mount

255/70R16, no modifications needed, does not fit spare tire mount

245/70R17, modifications needed, using 2.5" lift, fits in spare tire mount (?)

265/70-17, modifications needed, using 3" lift, no info on spare tire mount

(note: load rating depends on brand and model of tire, sizes will be the same regardless of brand in most cases, so I did not include the load rating or brand in the summary)

On the 245/70R17 you can remove the question mark on the spare tire mount, it does fit.

Adventure van build
2018 Transit LWB HR EXT
3.2L Diesel
IG @velo_van_gogh

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably throw in the make/model of the tire after the size in your summary. Tires with the same size rating from different brands may differ in actual size.

It would also be more accurate if people knew their aftermarket wheel width. The real world size of the same tire will change if mounted on narrower or wider aftermarket wheels.

@surly Bill, you seem to have too much time. If you come over, my list of projects will keep you busy and off the street. ;)
maybe this is just a way to avoid the growing lists of to-do's at my own house...;)

I think specific tire brand and models can be researched by the interested once they read the list. Putting 20 different brands of 225/75/16 tires on the list is counterproductive. People can add specifics to their post, and I'll update the summary every so often. The interested can go back and read through posts once they find a size they are considering.

Reactions: asdrew
1 - 20 of 157 Posts