Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2019 HR extended transir RWD. Putting in a van compass 2" lift kit with shock upgrades, airlift airbags, arsenal 16X8 rims, and wheel well liners as well as tire upgrades. Van weight 7.5k lb (3k front axle, 4.5 rear axle)
2 questions
Can i go the rear lift/airbag install and drive around prior to doing the front (until i can find a shop to do it). think it should be fine since the added weight prob saged the van by roughly 2".

Second, what tire size should i go with if i have wheel well liners in the back and may be running cables to get to the mountians. Want to go as big as possible without having a rubbing/tearing issue with cables/liner in the back.

Thanks for any input/experience.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have a 2019 HR extended transir RWD. Putting in a van compass 2" lift kit with shock upgrades, airlift airbags, arsenal 16X8 rims, and wheel well liners as well as tire upgrades. Van weight 7.5k lb (3k front axle, 4.5 rear axle)
2 questions
Can i go the rear lift/airbag install and drive around prior to doing the front (until i can find a shop to do it). think it should be fine since the added weight prob saged the van by roughly 2".

Second, what tire size should i go with if i have wheel well liners in the back and may be running cables to get to the mountians. Want to go as big as possible without having a rubbing/tearing issue with cables/liner in the back.

Thanks for any input/experience.
I have a similar setup, without the lift. Airbags in back and wheel liners all around. I have also added RAS springs on the rear. RAS® Leaf Spring Helper | Made in the USA Bilsteins up front with the sumo spring insert does give me about 3/4" lift from stock. I have 245/75/16 Pirelli Scorpions and have ran cables a few times. I have had no issues with this setup and after adding the RAS spring, handling in wind is much improved.

Now to your second question. My experience with chains and installing them, is from 35+years of being an installer on East bound I-80 in California. I'm thinking i've put on over 4-5K sets over the years. I'm using super thin 1146 pewag car chains, with tighteners. These are good enough to get through California chain controls, but obviously don't give superior traction.I carry two sets of cables in case a cross link breaks, but so far I have about 75- 100 miles on the first set and all is good, wear wise.I also carry a set of steel chains to use if needed. I pump up the bags to give an inch or two more clearance. I do notice that the cables cause a weird resonance in the rear side panel but I haven't seen any evidence of hitting anywhere on the wheel liners or body. There are lots of styles of chains out there so, obviously some will fit tighter and have more or less clearance than others.Having the air bags help with the clearance but I really wouldn't reccomend bigger tires than 245/75/16s. But that is obviously a personal decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: surly Bill

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
Tire size info:
Personally, for utility and snowchain use, the largest tires I'd go with are 225/75-16. A lift doesn't help if you want bigger tires, because the narrowest part of the wheel opening is still near the center of the tire. You'd have to raise the body by a foot or more to get that narrow spot to a place where the tire isn't getting close to it, especially with chains. Or cut away part of the body, which may not be a good idea because this is a unibody vehicle, the body IS the chassis. If you're a good welder and fabricator, you can do anything and have it be safe, though.

I use real chains and not cables, but if you get tires bigger than about 30" you'll probably have to use cables. And I suspect the liners also reduce clearance, so maybe anything bigger than 29" would have to use cables. Cables are fine on plowed roads. The new Snow Tires are probably as good as cables, but don't count if "chains required".

For info on sizes, go to this thread, to the LAST page, and the LAST post (most current info based on feedback by forum members)

Also, try to refrain from questions and discussions on THAT thread, there are numerous discussion threads, including this one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I need to find a good set of tire chains for my Michelin Agilis Crossclimate 245/70-16 tires.

I looked up the pewag 1146 chain that you are running and the chart says that they fit a 255/70-16 tire. According to the chart the pewag 1142 fits a 245/70-16 tire. It sounds like you have a lot of experiance with tire chains. Do you have a reason to use the 1146?

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
215 Posts
Spouse's van has newish Michelin Agilis Crossclimates and boy do I approve. She went for 225/75 16 and even I notice the discernable "stable footing" she says she feels. Wow, even about .2 inches taller!

I say far too soon to mention snow chains as she insists watching me practice mounting them every other year-on even numbered years. Guess I had better show her I still can. She can sit in a chair with a mint julep in her bakini while I demonstrate on some sunny day. Just looking at her really gives me lift even if the van's stock suspension doesn't. Am glad the thrill ain't gone-of working on her minivan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts