Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,591 Posts
Enjoy!

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally had time to get some things done to the Transit. Ran out of Dynamat. I'll have to order some more this week. I'm expecting the MaxxFan to arrive this week, that should be fun cutting a big hole in the roof. :)

Has anyone taken off the headliner in cabin to applying Dynamat and insulation? I tried for a little while, but looked a little too hard. I couldn't get the plugs out from the front of the liner, at the top of the windshield with out scratching the crap out of the plastic.

Attachments

· Registered
765 Posts
Finally had time to get some things done to the Transit. Ran out of Dynamat. I'll have to order some more this week. I'm expecting the MaxxFan to arrive this week, that should be fun cutting a big hole in the roof. :)

Has anyone taken off the headliner in cabin to applying Dynamat and insulation? I tried for a little while, but looked a little too hard. I couldn't get the plugs out from the front of the liner, at the top of the windshield with out scratching the crap out of the plastic.
I'm at the same point putting CLD tiles in and need to remove the front headliner. I haven't taken a good look at it yet though.
JP

· Registered
7,216 Posts

Maxxair fan install in a Sprinter:

Sprinter-Forum - View Single Post - Orton DIY - Maxxair Fan Install

Hope you or JP4 figure out the headliner removal and post a step by step to help others.( me!)

· Registered
765 Posts
Hope you or JP4 figure out the headliner removal and post a step by step to help others.( me!)
Actually, I was waiting for you to give us the step by by step instructions Orton :D
Fortunately for me, I won't be able to get to that project for a few weeks. By then you guys will have it all figured out.

· Registered
7,216 Posts
Actually, I was waiting for you to give us the step by by step instructions Orton :D
Fortunately for me, I won't be able to get to that project for a few weeks. By then you guys will have it all figured out.
I am polite. You first!

I do not need to do that immediately. Will do the floor, solar panel and Maxxair fan first.

· Registered
437 Posts
I've looked at the front headliner. Choose a simple possibly suboptimal route. Peeking over the back edge you can see that if the liner were to slide forward the back 3 center-ish mount points would release. I see lots of exposed bolts to release most of the rest of the head liner (actually the shelf, which holds the headliner). Then I saw those 4 or so plugs up front and figured to that to pop them would scratch the plastic a lot. I also worry about where the upper air bag sensor might be and I slightly feared setting it off. I felt between the headliner and steel and can feel at least 2, maybe 3, of the Ford vibration dampener squares already there. So, I simply folded 3 layers of Thinsulate CS150 (about 1/2" each) together into 30x60" piece and carefully pulled it in from one side to the other and then used short stick to shift it around. It caught a bit near the mirror but I was able to free. Then I tacked the top side corners with 3M 90 to keep Thinsulate from shifting. Then stuffed some more rolled Thinsulate in gaps on sides. I decided that was good enough.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've looked at the front headliner. Choose a simple possibly suboptimal route. Peeking over the back edge you can see that if the liner were to slide forward the back 3 center-ish mount points would release. I see lots of exposed bolts to release most of the rest of the head liner (actually the shelf, which holds the headliner). Then I saw those 4 or so plugs up front and figured to that to pop them would scratch the plastic a lot. I also worry about where the upper air bag sensor might be and I slightly feared setting it off. I felt between the headliner and steel and can feel at least 2, maybe 3, of the Ford vibration dampener squares already there. So, I simply folded 3 layers of Thinsulate CS150 (about 1/2" each) together into 30x60" piece and carefully pulled it in from one side to the other and then used short stick to shift it around. It caught a bit near the mirror but I was able to free. Then I tacked the top side corners with 3M 90 to keep Thinsulate from shifting. Then stuffed some more rolled Thinsulate in gaps on sides. I decided that was good enough.
I think I will do the same with stuffing insulation in there. thanks

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Huge step backward in the build. Last week I finished installing reflectix on body panels and roof with contact cement. I became sensitized (allergic) to the glue. It got so bad that I could not enter the van. A few seconds in the van, I would start getting tingling tongue and throat. I've worked with contact cement for years as a carpenter with veneers and laminate countertops and never experience anything like that. I have the van almost completely glue free and its much better, but I can still sense the glue a little. Hopefully, I don't have to trade it in for a new one. Has anyone had this happen?

Heres a link to the best explanation of Chemical fume sensitization: How Sensitization Works - becoming "allergic" or "sensitized" to common chemicals can be a nightmare - HowStuffWorks

· Registered
2,491 Posts
Huge step backward in the build. Last week I finished installing reflectix on body panels and roof with contact cement. I became sensitized (allergic) to the glue. It got so bad that I could not enter the van. A few seconds in the van, I would start getting tingling tongue and throat. I've worked with contact cement for years as a carpenter with veneers and laminate countertops and never experience anything like that. I have the van almost completely glue free and its much better, but I can still sense the glue a little. Hopefully, I don't have to trade it in for a new one. Has anyone had this happen?

Heres a link to the best explanation of Chemical fume sensitization: How Sensitization Works - becoming "allergic" or "sensitized" to common chemicals can be a nightmare - HowStuffWorks
Have you looked into latex-based contact cement? A shop I worked in years ago started using it -- not sure of the current state of this. I seem to recall that we had to clamp things more, until the adhesive set overnight, not ideal for your application, but lots of sticks of the right lengths going from side to side, and bowed to create pressure might work. Kinda Fred Flintstone, but this low tech solution actually works quite well with lots of pre-cut sticks waiting for installation.

· Registered
437 Posts
I am not sure that it would not cause the same type of reaction, but I am sold on 3M 90 spray adhesive (but not necessarily for lesser grades). Spraying on both sides and you get a light duty contact cement like connection. I have used for my EZCool (Reflectix equivalent) and 1/2" foam on floor and roof. I could smell if slightly in AM when re-opening van, but it was mild. I bought as Lowes in sets of 5 at "contractor" discount.

· Registered
765 Posts
)

Anybody removed the forward headliner yet? I still haven't got around to insulation, but hope to get going on it soon.
JP

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Yes. Not me personally. Persons I know in the arts. A oil painter sensitized to turpentine, then all aromatic solvents. Spent several years working in other media until able to return to oils wearing nitrile gloves, respirator, long sleeves, etc. Symptoms: pins & needles sensations, migraines, hives. A moldmaker for bronze sculpture sensitized to urethane rubber, had to switch to silicone, put up with its shortcomings for many years, still has to avoid exposure to urethane products. Probably contributed to sensitization to other things that showed up a few months later - seawater, seafood, freshwater crustaceans (crawfish), iodized salt. Symptoms: anaphylactic prodrome, difficulty breathing, swelling of airways. So - take heed fellow van converters. Wear full personal protection gear from the git-go when using glue, solvents, urethane foam insulation and other such products. And ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.