Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2020 Transit AWD 250 mid roof
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found some rat scat in the engine compartment and was going to leave the hood open overnight (read it helps make the compartment feel less safe from a rats perspective), but there is rain in the forecast.

What is the risk, if any, to the engine compartment/electronics if I left the hood open in the rain?

· Registered
30 Posts
I live in a pretty rural area and have head to deal with mice, rats, and chipmunks in my T100 pickup and my partner's Honda CR-V. For me, putting my hood up hasn't made much of a difference; at best, it seems that it lets me look at the window and see the creatures running around in the engine compartment. I've had to replace blower motors on my T100 (it is pretty much impossible to block their access to the blower and vents on a T100) and my partner had her almost new CR-V go to Honda because the rats chewed up her wiring (i'm guessing we've had about $700 in damages so far from rodents this year). My point is, you might want to take more aggressive action than just putting up the hood, as they can quickly cause a lot of damage. We've had decent success with spraying peppermint oil but it needs to be done often. That said, please don't use poison, not only can that cause a creature to die in an inaccessible place and cause your vehicle to stink, it can also many other animals who would feed on a dead rodent (dogs, cats, birds, coyotes, foxes, etc.).

· Registered
2020 Transit AWD 250 mid roof
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also placed two snap traps w/ peanut butter in rodent boxes at the base of the wheels. Will try the peppermint oil idea. The internet is rife with ideas...

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Someone was going on about using bear spray not too long ago. Never tried it, but I've never had a rodent problem (yet - knock on plastic) either. Probably only useful if you already have a can of the stuff around and it's expired. They aren't cheap!

· Registered
2018 T250 MR 3.7L
114 Posts
Flashing LED lights in the engine compartment work here in the SW desert to keep the packrats out.
Rid-a-Rat works for me and there are many other variations with flashing lights and high freq. beeps

· Registered
30 Posts
A desperate more difficult method is to seal off the areas with 1/2" aluminum metal boxed shape cross wire at any opening. Like building a cage. Can try to block them. You'll need to screw the wire caging mesh down. Plenty big to allow air flow but small enough to block the rats. It's going to take some effort to block every access in. I had a cat problem cozying up in the engine for heat, first time I heard of rats going there. Setting traps under the hood, below the van, anywhere other animals can't reach including areas around the parking location to catch rats is a good proactive approach. I'm first guessing they come from the wheels jumping in in to the fenders, crawling through the body. I personally would set enclosed traps around each wheel on the ground waiting for a rat offering a tasty meal as a better option than climbing on to the van. Once inside the enclosed trap no way out! Caught your self a rat. What you choose to do with it inside the enclosure is up to you. Enclosure just stops the neighborhood cat or dog accessing the inside rat surprise. They sell special boxes for this. I'd get 4 boxes, one at each wheel, what you put inside the boxes like snap traps or live capture, sticky paper, ect is up to you.

· Registered
30 Posts
Just found some rat scat in the engine compartment and was going to leave the hood open overnight (read it helps make the compartment feel less safe from a rats perspective), but there is rain in the forecast.

What is the risk, if any, to the engine compartment/electronics if I left the hood open in the rain?
I wouldn't leave the hood open for any long duration to stay wet. It can get wet but wouldn't want water to pool up in areas meant to remain dry.

· Registered
2020 T350 EB SRW AWD HR EL
969 Posts

Today's automotive, the engine bay is weatherproof. I powerwash all my engines twice a year. I hate to work on a dirty engine.

· Registered
374 Posts
Today's automotive, the engine bay is weatherproof. I powerwash all my engines twice a year. I hate to work on a dirty engine.
LOL, a lot of owners have found transit otherwise. TURD for air cleaner leaks. Foil or plastic wrap for engine connector. Injectors and spark plugs rusted in place. Get it dry and keep it dry after that power wash.

BTW, I believe in poisoning. A dead rat is a good rat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
I use the electronic flashing lights and sonic beeps that seems to work in my Lexus and Toyota engine compartments. I have one for my 350 HD, but have not installed yet. It's powered by engine battery vice AA batteries in the other two. Batteries last about two or three months.

I have used rat killing poisoned bait traps from Tractor Supply, that work excellent. The rats are attracted to it (apple smell) and supposedly if they eat it, they're gone like a soldier in the civil war,..bang! bang!

Last but not least, I have recently made a deal with a male tabby cat to get rid of rodents at his leisure. So far (with some dismay) he has two confirmed kills. Maybe I'm feeding him too good.

· Premium Member
350HD XLT DRW Eco, Quadvan 4X4, 4.10 Eaton Truetracs front and rear, Backwoods bumper, Warn winch
142 Posts
I live in a rural area, and it's a never ending battle with mice, rats and squirrels. I opened the hood on my Transit once and found an entire rat nest sitting on top of my Ecoboost plenum, complete with the rat. She scurried off and I removed the nest. That's when I noticed she had also munched on a vacuum line. If they're getting into your car, they're also getting into your garage, attic, and even your home if they find an opening. I've tried everything, and one of the best solutions is the Victor M144 Power Kill rat trap, available on Amazon (I have no affiliation and make nothing if you buy them). They're made of sturdy plastic and have extremely powerful springs. They're much easier and safer to set than the old school ones, and can be used repeatedly. I keep them set year round or I'd be overrun with the filthy little bastards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.