Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISO a good option for winter / snow tire recommendations (non-studded) in the 245/75r16 or 255/70r16 size

With the need for E load rating options seem limited but I don't want to give up traction performance by getting an all season tire. Any one found a good snow tire that works on the transit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious why you are willing to give up traction by going to an oversize tire? With the OEM size of 235/65-16 if I was looking for a good winter tire I'd be shopping a 225/75-16. It's a common misconception that wider tires give you better snow traction.
I'm getting the quadvan 4x4 conversion in a few months and want the additional clearance so the 245/75/16 size was what he recommended.

·
Registered
221 Posts
do you have a lift on your van? any issues with rubbing/ did you have to modify at all? do you have a full size spare?
hey - yes, 2" lift. I have the same size tire as a spare on a door mount that I made. Needed minor trimming of the trim on the front wheel well and grinding down that seam in the front a little bit.

·
Registered
278 Posts
FarOutRide (@atoine) reports that the Bridgestone KO2 works good in the snow. I would trust them too, they have done a lot of snow!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FarOutRide (@atoine) reports that the Bridgestone KO2 works good in the snow. I would trust them too, they have done a lot of snow!
I saw that, but then did research and other people were saying they weren't great in the snow :/ figured I'd come on here to get second opinions!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I saw that, but then did research and other people were saying they weren't great in the snow :/ figured I'd come on here to get second opinions!
I've got the KO2's. We're getting snow tomorrow night, so I'll go for a drive Sunday and give you a report. So far I'm loving the KO2's for everything else. Got the 255/70-16

·
Registered
765 Posts
Verdict on the KO2's. They're actually quite good in snow. Are they as good as a dedicated high end snow specific tire? Probably not, but as a tire you can leave on all year and still drive safely in the snow, I think they fit the bill.
That being said, a rear wheel drive, lightly loaded van with all terrain tires is going to have limitations. Stopping, starting, going uphill, even stopping on a fairly steep hill and getting gong again was fine in fresh snow. However after it warmed up to near freezing and I was parked facing uphill on compacted snow, it was not as good. It took a few tries and backing up into untracked snow to get going again.
Stopping was really good, even on slippery compacted snow, no doubt due to all the weight transfer onto the front wheels.
I wasn't expecting much from an AT tire in the snow, so I'm pleasantly surprised with the performance of these. Would I drive it in freezing rain? No way, I have a Subaru with 4 Hakkapeliitta's for that, but for general snow driving in less than treacherous conditions, the KO2's are pretty good. I did buy some chains for Transit as a backup, since I plan to do some overnighting at the local ski area now that I have a furnace in my van.
Off topic, having the remote control furnace and preheating the van before I drove it yesterday was awesome!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Consider the Cooper Discoverer M&S or the Les Schwab version (Wintercat something). Awesome tires, available E rated in the 245/75 size, and have some good all-terrain style tread along with winter compound and siping. I ran the Coopers on my truck, was super happy with them, am now trying the Wintercats on the Transit, doing great so far. They were on the van when I was last at Quad, so John has seen them, for what that's worth. ;-)
--Daniel

·
Registered
253 Posts
I run the Nokian CR3. I like them alot. Noted as being grippy and as time goes on they get a tad noiser. I use them full time. 30K miles currently. If they kick out the snow they can do the same with the rain.

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been running Pirelli Scorpions 245/75/16 on the van for the last year. It's a snow tire that also has a 50K mileage rating and is 10ply. I really like them and the traction is much improved over the stock tires.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My 245/75 16 BFG KO2's were excellent last winter and I expect no less this winter.

They got me out of 2 really sketchy situations off-road miles from civilization navigating deep snow and ice with massive off-camber, deep ruts and steep grades. On both occasions I fully expected to have some drama and need to deploy the MaxTracks but each time the KO2's delivered me home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you need to have the 10 ply tires if you have converted cargo van to an adventure van? I just found some Blizzaks 235/65R16 for around $500 total. Built out a 2016 ford transit 250, 148" WB, Mid Height.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have 235/85-16 nokian Hakka. Love them
Ranchero, have you run them in the snow and or ice?

I like the extra height and narrower profile, but was also wondering if you have enough clearance for cable chains. That’s a must-have for me.

I have QuadVan’s 2” lift with front seam cut too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts