Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed large speakers in the round cutouts in the rear of the Transit? Look at the image below. I'm thinking of the round hole above and to the left of the inner rear wheel well. Looks like it would be ideal for a decent size speaker.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you want a speaker 10ft behind you in a metal hollowed box near the floors then yes you can install one. It won't help much for the driver and passenger but may help while working in the back of the van.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Heavily edited:

Previously... My point is, and this is a question: aren’t all 6 speaker cutouts the same??? Front doors, mid-ship (as pictured in Gap’s OP), and rear doors. Obviously the tweeters in the A-pillars are different. ...

(see above) I speculated all the speaker cutouts were the same size, but SportCoupe’s post below showing Hein’s offerings on eBay implies the cutout sizes (or shapes) varies with position in the van...since he sells a different version depending on location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
build a baseball field and they will come,
put a round hole in the internal body panels and they will fill it.

There are also round holes in the back door.

Many completed conversions seen on this forum would completely obscure speakers in the walls. Is it worth the trouble? The wonders of blue tooth and the remarkable quality of portable wifi speakers of today, ices the incentive of staying attached to the legacy approach for implementing sound system expansion beyond the cockpit.:nerd:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you had the opportunity to hear a Bose brick? No need for a permanent sound system with the marvelous sound that comes out of the brick. Never again will I install speakers in van or house.
Yeah I recently was thinking about installing a system in the transit to replace the 4 milliwatt head unit and 2 tissue paper speakers. But then the thought of all that work and money to put in a different head unit and speaker seemed silly given that my phone contains all the media I will use and is in itself a head unit that only requires some powered speakers. So I decided to look for the most powerful blue tooth speaker I could find instead. I bought a JBL boom box https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Boombox-Portable-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B0759GC766
I use this thing when I’m driving and when I’m working on it, and then can carry it to the lake with me. Never have to worry about killing my starter or house battery. The wireless speaker has its own 20Ah battery which last for over 24 consecutive hours on a single charge. The sound is fantastic. The volume goes up to 11. I love this thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I recently was thinking about installing a system in the transit to replace the 4 milliwatt head unit and 2 tissue paper speakers. But then the thought of all that work and money to put in a different head unit and speaker seemed silly given that my phone contains all the media I will use and is in itself a head unit that only requires some powered speakers. So I decided to look for the most powerful blue tooth speaker I could find instead. I bought a JBL boom box https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Boombox-Portable-Bluetooth-Waterproof/dp/B0759GC766
I use this thing when I’m driving and when I’m working on it, and then can carry it to the lake with me. Never have to worry about killing my starter or house battery. The wireless speaker has its own 20Ah battery which last for over 24 consecutive hours on a single charge. The sound is fantastic. The volume goes up to 11. I love this thing.

I'm smellin' what yer cookin my friend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had 2 6" twin cone kickers and a pair of Scosche general purpose speaker mounts, left over from another project, so I installed them when I did my interior. As noted, the van comes pre-wired for them. All you have to do is find the connectors behind the sides at the rear (on each side). The forward facing part of each connector has two wire loops, all you have to do is splice into them. The only tricky part is figuring out phasing, which you can do by ear for each side. It should be pretty obvious if you have the phase reversed (it was for me) and if you cant tell, then don't worry :)

You can see the drivers side mid speaker in the photo below.

I find they make a huge improvement overall, and especially when in the rear of the van. I hoked up my laptop to the Sync 3 Bluetooth and watched the series finale of Game of Thrones in pretty impressive virtual surround-sound from the back of my van, while camping at Thunderhill racetrack.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I was going to install a 10" woofer in one of those holes by not recessing it all the way using a spacer , decided against it because I didn't want all the complications of all the wires.
I mainly need a speaker just to listen to YouTube videos so any speaker will pretty much work as I'm just trying to make it louder then my phone.
I'm not a big fan of the Blue tooth speakers when it comes to listening to music but for YouTube it would work perfect except for the price.
For anyone using there android phone for music try downloading the app Dub music player

Attachments

·
Registered
360 Posts
I mainly need a speaker just to listen to YouTube videos so any speaker will pretty much work as I'm just trying to make it louder then my phone.
I'm not a big fan of the Blue tooth speakers when it comes to listening to music but for YouTube it would work perfect except for the price.

I've never been a fan of them either, but the neighbors kid came over the other day and had a small JBL that sounded REALLY good. It was probably the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top each other or maybe a little larger diameter. He said he thought it was about $75. It was impressive.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts

I've never been a fan of them either, but the neighbors kid came over the other day and had a small JBL that sounded REALLY good. It was probably the size of 2 soda cans stacked on top each other or maybe a little larger diameter. He said he thought it was about $75. It was impressive.
The one I tried was from Wal mart, it was called a JBL flip 4 , I meant to get a black one , it was dark blue looked black thru the package , anyhow after listening to it I immediately returned it , by your description it sounds like your neighbor had a different model.
Here's a picture of the one I had.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a set of BOSE Soundtouch 10 speakers that are Wifi and Bluetooth. In Wifi mode they are great, going through my router to grab steaming music from any one of a million channels around the world, but in Bluetooth Stereo mode they suck like most Bluetooth speakers do.

When you run a pair of bluetooth speakers in stereo mode, the signal goes to one unit, then to the other, and is synced between them. It doesn't sync with video though, so there is a lag. It's like a bad dub of a movie when watching it. Great for music and podcasts, but not so great for video.

The XLT 15 passenger vans have an optional 8 speaker stereo instead of the 6 speaker in my cargo van. So where are those other 2 speakers and what size are they?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The XLT 15 passenger vans have an optional 8 speaker stereo instead of the 6 speaker in my cargo van. So where are those other 2 speakers and what size are they?

You get 2 tweeters on the A pillar next to the windshield. The other 6 are all the same size. One in each front door, one in each rear door and one on each side at about the center of the van below the windows (the hole in the pic at the start of this thread and about the same spot on the other side).

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah.. so the other two are the mid way speakers in those cutouts. I have the 6 speaker Sync 3 setup, with tweeters in the A pillars, and speakers in the front doors and rear doors. Are those side speakers the same size as the ones in the doors ? The cut out looks much larger.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ah.. so the other two are the mid way speakers in those cutouts. I have the 6 speaker Sync 3 setup, with tweeters in the A pillars, and speakers in the front doors and rear doors. Are those side speakers the same size as the ones in the doors ? The cut out looks much larger.

They look like the same speakers as the door but have different part numbers so something must not be quiet the same. Here's a breakdown of the speakers. Scroll to the bottom of the page at the link

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-parts/2018/ford/transit-350-hd/xlt-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/sound-system-scat/?part_number=cv6z18808d

·
Administrator
2018 T350HD Dual Sliders
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. I checked Crutchfield.com as well. There are many speakers that fit all three locations, but some that only fit the front door or mid panel but not the rear doors. I suspect it is an issue with mounting hole locations or speaker depth. They do have a speaker listed as "Best fit" specifically as an upgrade for Ford and Lincoln vehicles that fits without any mounts, adapters, wires, or new screws or screw holes.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151OE652FD/PowerBass-OE652-FD.html?avf=Y

I'm tempted to try a set.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts