Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys recommend for a ladder to keep inside the van for doing roof repairs, maintenance and cleaning solar panels etc?
I have a mid-roof and need to access a vent cover periodically in the front and also get to the rear to clean solar panel. The collapsible ones look handy if not suicidal lol but a folder os pretty big.

I really could get by with a couple sets of steps that would bolt to the outside but have not seen anything useable in that arena.

I would just get a rear door bolt-on exterior ladder but often need to accesss a vent cover near the drivers door so that won't work.

Any tips appreciated.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I like those telescoping ladders, if you're going to be keeping it in the van. I'm not too scared of ladders, I'm often using a 32' to get at stuff 25-30' off the ground (stage lighting).
The bolt-on ones only allow access where they're bolted.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I like my telescoping ladder but the one thing I didn’t think about is that it will scratch the paint and possibly dent the sheetmetal where it leans. I have added a horizontal rail to the roof rack for the ladder to rest against.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Pool noodle and gaffing tape padding, and/or add crossbar to top of ladder to disperse the weight when leaning against the van.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I purchased one of these: Rear Door Access Ladder - Prime Design

It's well made and does not bolt on to the door. I didn't want a bolt on where I'd be required to drill through the sheet metal. This one has padded clips that hook over the door itself on the top and bottom and then uses a tensioner system to secure it in place. Very sturdy and was able to hold my 225lb.

I took it off of my van after I saw the neighborhood kids climbing up it during a game of tag. :)

I was thinking that I may put it up for sale as since I've removed it I haven't had the need to get up on my roof. I'm not a full-timer so I don't have a gear box stashed up there that requires me to climb up every now and again. I can simply use a ladder at my home for whatever maintenance I need to do.

-Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.K. Thanks for all the input. Sounds like the collapsible ones are reliable so sounds like a good plan.
Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've been securing a ladder from slipping or scratching the paint while leaning against the van with a sticky yoga mat at the top and tying off to the leafs prings at the bottom. The ladder won't move if there is no one to hold it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great idea using the springs to secure the bottom my biggest fear is having that sucker slip out from under me. Seen too many people get messed up that way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What do you guys recommend for a ladder to keep inside the van for doing roof repairs, maintenance and cleaning solar panels etc?
I have a mid-roof and need to access a vent cover periodically in the front and also get to the rear to clean solar panel. The collapsible ones look handy if not suicidal lol but a folder os pretty big.

I really could get by with a couple sets of steps that would bolt to the outside but have not seen anything useable in that arena.

I would just get a rear door bolt-on exterior ladder but often need to accesss a vent cover near the drivers door so that won't work.

Any tips appreciated.
I sliced a pool noodle and used it where needed. Comes off and on easy.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased one of these: Rear Door Access Ladder - Prime Design

It's well made and does not bolt on to the door. I didn't want a bolt on where I'd be required to drill through the sheet metal. This one has padded clips that hook over the door itself on the top and bottom and then uses a tensioner system to secure it in place. Very sturdy and was able to hold my 225lb.

I took it off of my van after I saw the neighborhood kids climbing up it during a game of tag. :)

I was thinking that I may put it up for sale as since I've removed it I haven't had the need to get up on my roof. I'm not a full-timer so I don't have a gear box stashed up there that requires me to climb up every now and again. I can simply use a ladder at my home for whatever maintenance I need to do.

-Mike
Still got it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts