Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSB 19-2097

I recently brought my van into the dealer with the issue described in the title. In my case the driver's side dash vents have decent heat and the passenger side are barely warm. They diagnosed it and came up with the TSB I've referenced above. They told me they would perform the service based on the TSB, presumably under warranty - still new to this warranty thing.

I was smart enough to have the service advisor mark down the TSB number and was pleased to discover that I could actually find it online. I've attached it here for anyone else's sake.

I'm very apprehensive to get this done because of how invasive it is, and the fact that they'll need two days to get it done. However, I can see the problem getting worse and eventually having little or no heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Truck or somebody gave a good how to description.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Also, for those with a 3.5 turbo, lack of heat could be low or no coolant caused by leaks at the clamps under the turbo. Won't necessarily see any puddling under vehicle. Heat from turbo burned mine off so it didn't show up anywhere. Ford removed turbo and replaced clamps.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Truck or somebody gave a good how to description.
I have absolutely no interest in doing it myself. If it was too much of a problem I'd likely sell it if it wasn't covered under warranty. :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have absolutely no interest in doing it myself. If it was too much of a problem I'd likely sell it if it wasn't covered under warranty. :)
You seemed to want to know what was involved in the process, Why it takes so long to do something seemingly simple.
To me it seems like it is something that should only take one day if you are a dealer tech with all of the info provided for you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I decided to get it done.

At the start of the week I left my van with the dealership for two days. Aside from not being able to see what sort of brutalism was wrought against the vehicle, it was less painful than I imagined. I haven't been able to find anything broken and there are no new obvious squeaks or rattles after R&R of much of the dash. The vehicle was left about as clean as when I brought it in, except for a few discourteous muddy boot prints that would have taken less than a minute to wipe up.

Best of all, I have a LOT more heat than before! So much that I no longer put it on high and leave it there for an extended drive. I have to turn it down or roll down windows to prevent overheating.

The one thing that's still bothering me though is a persistent coolant odour. I let the dealership know right away, along with my acknowledgment that it isn't surprising and I expect it will go away in time. Here's hoping. Until then I've been rolling down the windows to get fresh air and minimize the coolant odour that can give me a headache with too much exposure.

I can't be completely certain, and the guy that handled the pickup was utterly clueless, but I'm pretty sure it had orange coolant before and now there's yellow coolant. There's no sticker I've been able to find that indicates the "authorized modification" that was performed - unless I'm not looking in the right place for it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Always be sure to check everything else functioning as per normal. When they tore apart my dash to hard wire a remote starter, the one 12 V socket that I use, wasn't working (where it was working before). Thankfully I checked it while I was there and not notice it days later.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The file I referenced in my first post says yellow and is dated long after the one you reference.

Besides, it's all documented now. If there's a future problem related to this it isn't my problem - relevant annoyances aside.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always be sure to check everything else functioning as per normal. When they tore apart my dash to hard wire a remote starter, the one 12 V socket that I use, wasn't working (where it was working before). Thankfully I checked it while I was there and not notice it days later.
Haven't found anything yet. Knock on plastic.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The file I referenced in my first post says yellow and is dated long after the one you reference.

Besides, it's all documented now. If there's a future problem related to this it isn't my problem - relevant annoyances aside.
I am beginning to think the whole thing was a mistake on the part of people on this forum, The only two Ford Sve Bulletins in the system only reference early model Transit's, The most recent bulletin refers to the Econoline.
The newest model (2016 ^) Transits may not require a coolant change.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am beginning to think the whole thing was a mistake on the part of people on this forum, The only two Ford Sve Bulletins in the system only reference early model Transit's, The most recent bulletin refers to the Econoline.
The newest model (2016 ^) Transits may not require a coolant change.
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

the service bulletin Linked by the original poster references transits from 2015-2019. with your referenced links, are you suggesting that the reason for the heater core clogging could be due to the mixing of G05 and OAT coolant?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
So, I decided to get it done.
There's no sticker I've been able to find that indicates the "authorized modification" that was performed - unless I'm not looking in the right place for it.
It should be stuck right on the coolant bottle.

I'm still waiting for my local dealer's parts counter to get the sticker. Not letting them off the hook. It's only been 11 days - I'll bug the parts guy again when it's been two weeks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should be stuck right on the coolant bottle.

I'm still waiting for my local dealer's parts counter to get the sticker. Not letting them off the hook. It's only been 11 days - I'll bug the parts guy again when it's been two weeks.
Why do you feel the sticker is important?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Why do you feel the sticker is important?
The TSB calls for Prestone Cor-Guard to be explicitly written on the label, reducing the chance of someone loading in some other potentially incompatible antifreeze on the basis of the original vehicle specification in the shop manual, or just "Oh this is what we put in Fords all the time." You could just make your own label, but I'm holding out for the official one that says Ford Authorized Modification and EPA / CARB Approved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts