Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how everyone is building or buying their kitchens? Are you building from scratch, using prebuilt and modifying, using ikea stuff? Just curious to hear what people are doing or have done in their transit builds. Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Tons of threads on the topic. Good luck finding you answers.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
89 Posts
I think Home Depot or Ikea cabinets would fall apart in a van. I'm using 80/20 on my build. There are some really good video's on YouTube too.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I usually travel with 5FL (fur faced ***ker friend for life) so I like to have most items readily accessible from the side doors so i don’t have to climb into the vehicle to retrieve everything. So I wanted 26-inch cabinet drawers that would extended essentially the width of the van. I didn’t want any liquid systems (water, waste, or shower). Only microwave, counter, storage cubbies, clothes rack, water jug storage, etc. The galley of my first conversion wasn‘t so much based upon practicality but the hype that comes with being a new Transit owner! After road testing my first design, I learned what I really wanted in a galley area so I made a custom galley for my second conversion. Almost completed. I plan to use black felt to cover the air bag area once i finish the third layer of ceiling insulation.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
It depends on how you score in these categories:

Disposable income
Skilz
Time
Ability to compromise
Aesthetic sophistication
Access to tools and equipment

Due to the constraints of a van, a DIY galley is most common.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I went with 15” depth modular cabinets from Ikea. They required a little extra bracing during the install to secure them to the van and isolation with foam and rubber to reduce vibration, and any exposed MDF should be sealed before installation to protect it from moisture. They have been in the van for 18 months and have survived 10,000 miles of washboarded forest roads. So far no issues, the door/drawer fronts and hardware that come from IKEA are Pretty tough. I wouldn't hesitate use them again in another build.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went with 15” depth modular cabinets from Ikea. They required a little extra bracing, during the install to secure them to the van and isolation with foam and rubber to reduce vibration, and any exposed MDF should be sealed before installation to protect it from moisture. They have been in the van for a 18 months and have survived 10,000 miles of washboarded forest roads. So far no issues, the door and drawer fronts and hardware that come from IKEA are Pretty tough. I wouldn't hesitate use them again in another build. View attachment 139861 View attachment 139862 View attachment 139863
this is what I am thinking about doing.
what line of cabinets are they? sektion?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I have saw a few builds where it looked like they got their cabinets at Home Depot, Just standard kitchen cabinets with a nice coat of paint.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Bathroom cabinets are about the right depth for a van. Kitchen cabinets are too deep (24"). You can often find used bath cabinet/vanity for free to modify.

Reactions: Tcaschy021

·
Registered
200 Posts
this is what I am thinking about doing.
what line of cabinets are they? sektion?
They are 15” depth Sektions Frames w/Bodbyn gray doors/drawer fronts.

The Bodbyn Door/drawer fronts have a factor epoxy paint coating which makes them very durable and easy to clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts