Ford Transit USA Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2019 MR non-ext
91 Posts
For those having trouble getting the newer KB3Z-14A626-A keypad to work with your pre-2020 Transit, you may have to first configure the keypad to COMMUNICATION TYPE 1, as outlined in the PDF that is attached to post #58.

In the PDF follow the instructions under "Configure Device" to change your keypad to "communication type 1". (Note that after you press the "1/2" to change the communication type, you must press the "5/6" key to confirm the entry. I missed that at first because it's on the next page.)

After you've configured the device, then follow the instructions under "Type A - Programming and Installation" to program it to your Transit.

I was having the same trouble that many others were having with the new style keypad not wanting to sync up with my 2019. After I found and followed the instructions from the PDF, it all worked!

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@JRG that was the magic trick to get mine to work. Spent an hour trying to get it to work and all I needed to do was to press the 5/6 to confirm entry. Why does Ford make things so difficult always!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a 2020 and a new pre 2020 keypad KB3Z-14A626-A that won't work. It is unused and new and I will ship it to someone who will pay it forward to charity or community.

·
Registered
538 Posts
In the PDF follow the instructions under "Configure Device" to change your keypad to "communication type 1". (Note that after you press the "1/2" to change the communication type, you must press the "5/6" key to confirm the entry. I missed that at first because it's on the next page.)
This worked for me once I searched for it, thanks a lot

·
Registered
191 Posts
For those with 2019's are you using the newer style: KB3Z-14A626-A? Did you have to change the communication type?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are the instructions to check/set the two different modes on the keypad. The default mode "communication type 1" is the correct one for the Transit. Probably not your issue but worth checking.

5. Upon pressing the 1/2, 3/4, and 9/0 buttons simultaneously for at least one second, all five buttons
will flash at a two flashes per second rate. This indicates the keypad is waiting for master code
entry. The master code is entered as in a normal keypad unlock, each button press will give another
five second window for the next button press. If no button is pressed within five seconds the
configure mode will exit.
6. When the proper master code is entered the 9/0 button will flash a pattern that corresponds to the
current protocol set:
• One flash per second for "Communication Type 2".
• Three flashes per second for "Communication Type 1" (Default).
7. You will have 10 seconds to:
• Press the 9/0 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 2".
• Press the 1/2 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 1" (Default).
Thank you for posting this procedure it worked for me! I tried two new remote keypads from 2 different Ford dealers they did not work. The older part number is ES7Z-14A626-A. The newer part number is KB3Z-14A626-A. I was able to get the KB3Z-14A626-A to work after following this procedure. Thanks Rick 2018 T350 15 Passenger DRW

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Here is the factory instructions for installing and programming the rf keypad
Direct link to spotco2's post #58, which has the PDF link: Keyless Entry Installation 2018

For those having trouble getting the newer KB3Z-14A626-A keypad to work with your pre-2020 Transit, you may have to first configure the keypad to COMMUNICATION TYPE 1, as outlined in the PDF that is attached to post #58.

After you've configured the device, then follow the instructions under "Type A - Programming and Installation" to program it to your Transit.

I was having the same trouble that many others were having with the new style keypad not wanting to sync up with my 2019. After I found and followed the instructions from the PDF, it all worked!

Hope this helps someone.
spotco2, JRG, and anyone else, thanks so much! I just got the new style keypad, to use on my 2013 Transit Connect. I note that the PDF file is from 2015 (by the title), when Communication Type 1 was the "default", per the text. Obviously, now, that's not the case. Switching to type 1 fixed me right up.

Here's a photo of the slightly larger, new keypad, compared to the older style that is on my 2015 Transit 250.

Also, a look at the back side makes me think this new model may open up non-destructively, for battery change, due to having tab locks all the way around. I seem to recall that the old one required minor cutting and re-gluing.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Following up, here, for the 2018 keypad question, and on another thread for the 2020 keypad question...

I noted in that PDF file, that there's a chart indicating that later Ford vehicles must be set up with the dealer's IDS software.

Now, a quick glance at the chart on page 2 of the PDF would have you believe that all Transits from 2014 onward, used the same, user programmable "4 turns of the ignition" (Installation Method A) type thing. BUT, this document is from 2015 (see the filename). The writer was just projecting the future. Since the newer models in the chart all went to Installation Method C / IDS, we may expect that to be true of Transits, at some point... possibly 2018 or 2020... not sure.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
... possibly 2018 or 2020... not sure.
I programmed the keypad myself (2018), and it was either 4 or 8 key cycles to activate the procedure, same as keyfob remote programming.

Reactions: asdrew and EddieZ
101 - 113 of 113 Posts