·
Registered
34 Posts
I just installed keypad to my 2019 Cargo by doing:

1 - Unlock all by driver door “Open” switch
2 - Turn key from “Off” to “On” for 8 times within 6 seconds
3 - Press and hold keypad’s 7/8 and 9/0 until console beeps
4 - Press and hold all the other key’s “Unlock” until console beeps

Step 3 - 4 must be done within 10 seconds.

I think it worked for me by pressing 7/8 and 9/0 instead of all the instruction I found says “1/0” or “Any” key.

I assume this method should work for 2018 models too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2018 12 passenger wagon and received an Amazon keypad. I've gone through this thread multiple times. I can get the van to go into programming mode. I'm using my remote key and have tried removing the key after 8, and 4 cycles. And no tones. Any advice on getting into programming mode? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Are you removing the key? It is supposed to stay in the ignition.

The timing of the off/on cycling is important - too fast or too slow and it won't go into programming.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just bought a 2018 12 passenger wagon and received an Amazon keypad. I've gone through this thread multiple times. I can get the van to go into programming mode. I'm using my remote key and have tried removing the key after 8, and 4 cycles. And no tones. Any advice on getting into programming mode? Thanks
Doors need to be unlocked

Key in ignition. Slowly and methodically turn to "on" 4 or 8 cycles (model year dependent) ending on off (leaving key in ignition) when you hear the chime to alert you in programming mode. Then follow directions

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just installed keypad to my 2019 Cargo by doing:

2 - Turn key from “Off” to “On” for 8 times within 6 seconds

I think it worked for me by pressing 7/8 and 9/0 instead of all the instruction I found says “1/0” or “Any” key.

I assume this method should work for 2018 models too.
I can confirm this is the correct procedure for 2019. I couldn't get the van to go into programming mode at first. I went to the dealer thinking that my PATS system was different. The service advisor said it needed to be done with their Obdii tool and would cost $55 per keypad (I have 3). Further questioning and investigation revealed a mechanic that knew the system. No tools needed. Just follow the steps Curver posted above. My issue was I did not cycle the key fast enough. It has to be done quickly. I thought I was doing it quickly, but it was not near fast enough. Once I sped up the cycling it was very simple to program 3 keypads and 2 keys all at the same time.

Note: A clarification on the key cycling, finish in the OFF position. When done programming the keys/keypads, turn the key ON to exit programming.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I just did my 2018 Transit and it required 8 key cycles. I was not doing it quickly enough the first three times, which did not yield the tone indicating programming mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to everyone here, I got it to work. I read this thread from front to back and had difficulty as many had. I can confirm 3 things:

1. The directions as posted work.
2. 8x in 6 seconds is like really fast. I wasn't doing it fast enough. (2018 model).
3. On the keypads you must press the last two buttons and hold down together. You can't just press "any" button like you can on the keyfobs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently added the keyless entry pad on my 2017 HR 148" Cargo. I was also stymied by the directions to cycle the key 8 times and end in the "on" position. That was TOTALLY wrong.
Using 4 cycles, leaving the key in the "off" position worked perfectly. Now all I need is a warm day to actually stick it on the side of the van.
I also just added one to my 2017 and the "cycle 4 times to get the chime" worked like a champ as long as I added the keypad first. If I tried to add the fob keys first, it would not recognize the keypad. I really found this keypad helpful on my first van to give peace of mind that I wouldn't lose the key and be stuck at a trailhead:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been trying to add a keypad entry to both of my 2019 Transit Connect XL Cargo vans for several days now, trying all of the methods mentioned in this forum..... with no luck!

Since forum member Curver was finally able to program his 2019 Cargo with the instructions he posted (below), I tried those over and over again, cycling off/on with the key at different speeds. Even rotating as fast as I'm able, I can never get the van to "chime", indicating that it is in program mode. Here are the instructions I'm following:

2 - Turn key from “Off” to “On” for 8 times within 6 seconds (leaving key "off" after last time). Listen for chime to indicate program mode. (CHIME NEVER HAPPENS!)

Anyone have suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? It can't have anything to do with the key fobs or keypad, as I'm never able to even get to program mode and hear the chime sound. I've cycled the key 8 times as fast as humanly possible and also tried much slower speeds with no difference. Never a chime. I've even desperately tried cycling the key a few number or times and also leaving it in the on position in the last turn (recognizing that some models take different turning sequences).

I'm ready to throw the keypad in the garbage.... it can't be that hard, can it?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been trying to add a keypad entry to both of my 2019 Transit Connect XL Cargo vans for several days now, trying all of the methods mentioned in this forum..... with no luck!

Since forum member Curver was finally able to program his 2019 Cargo with the instructions he posted (below), I tried those over and over again, cycling off/on with the key at different speeds. Even rotating as fast as I'm able, I can never get the van to "chime", indicating that it is in program mode. Here are the instructions I'm following:

2 - Turn key from “Off” to “On” for 8 times within 6 seconds (leaving key "off" after last time). Listen for chime to indicate program mode. (CHIME NEVER HAPPENS!)

Anyone have suggestions on what I may be doing wrong? It can't have anything to do with the key fobs or keypad, as I'm never able to even get to program mode and hear the chime sound. I've cycled the key 8 times as fast as humanly possible and also tried much slower speeds with no difference. Never a chime. I've even desperately tried cycling the key a few number or times and also leaving it in the on position in the last turn (recognizing that some models take different turning sequences).

See my response (#68) above.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Just did it on our 2019 Van you just have to do it FAST :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, I'll try again in the morning FAST (again) and won't worry about hearing the chime indicating that its in programming mode. I'll just assume that it is programming and move direct to pressing the 7/8, 9/0 of the keypad and then the fob unlock buttons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours did finally Chime But yes we tried for ever and super frustrating. But we gave it one more try FAST lol and it finally worked Good Luck!! Dont give up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No luck. I tried rotating from off/run 8 times at varying speeds for the last half-hour with no luck. I never hear any type of chime, though I've tried to assume it was in program mode without the chime and held the 7/8 & 9/0 keys down on the keypad.... nothing.

At this point, I'm wondering if the Ford programming instructions aren't just a cruel joke to sucker saps like me into wildly twisting their keys in the ignition for hours chasing a mythical programming state. I was hoping to install keypads on the driver doors of our new Transit Connect service vehicles so we wouldn't have to pass copies of vehicle keys between different workers, but now I'm tempted to tell them to just bash the side windows with a rock to get in. I give up!

I did find a ford service bulletin (link below) that says the keypads can also be programmed using the Ford IDS system. Seems like a much easier method and I'm probably going to pay the $$ to have my local dealer set up the keypads this way:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
No luck. I tried rotating from off/run 8 times at varying speeds for the last half-hour with no luck. I never hear any type of chime, though I've tried to assume it was in program mode without the chime and held the 7/8 & 9/0 keys down on the keypad.... nothing.
GregB,

Have to wonder since all the info above is how to program a full size Transit, and the fact that you are trying it on a TC, might be the problem ? Are the instructions the same for different models ?

If you can't get it to work,

Please do not think that my response is an attempt to kick you off of this forum as some mistakenly have alleged. Although some members here believe that giving you information about a Forum made up of members for your specific brand of vehicle, a Transit Connect, rather than a Forum made up of all the categories of Transit available and primarily focused on the full size Transit, is wrong, I don’t.

So if you choose to want to know of a Forum where the membership is focused on one type and category of vehicle only, the Transit Connect, where other TC owners may have the same questions you do and possibly, answers, you can click on one or both of the below links. 😀 BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO, please don’t think you are being forced to visit that Forum if you don’t want to. It is your choice.

Good Luck in your search to answer your question.

Semper Fi

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
@GregB as @USMC Vet suggested, maybe a Transit Connect-specific group would have some insight that we aren't aware of, though the instructions indicate it should program the same as a full size one with the Type A sequence.

That service bulletin has more concise instructions than many I've seen, it would seem that methodically going through them would do the trick, yet at this point getting the dealer to do it may be a better solution than issuing rocks to the employees.

Whenever you get it figured out, I recommend setting the custom code on all of them to something simple to remember, like the company zip code (since it needs 5 digits). Then if you need to change it due to a rogue ex-employee or something, the permanent code is known only to you.

Be persistent, it will be great once it works out!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts