Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought a second keyless pad and programmed it, after figuring out a couple of problems:
1) I had to turn the key 4 times (2017) w/in 6 sec.
2) the key fobs only required pushing any button to beep, but the keyless pads required holding the 7/8 and 9/0 keys to beep. Read this important step from Ford's PDF instructions.

Maybe this will help someone.
What PDF?
Where are you guys getting your instructions?
Mine only told me how to program the key, not how to program the vehicle to recognize the key.

When I called Ford - they had no clue. I called a Ford dealer and they told me it needs to be programed by them and they know of no other way.

I'm finding very different instructions from everyone, but no one is showing the actual instructions.

**** this is frustrating

·
Registered
326 Posts
What PDF?
Where are you guys getting your instructions?
Mine only told me how to program the key, not how to program the vehicle to recognize the key.

When I called Ford - they had no clue. I called a Ford dealer and they told me it needs to be programed by them and they know of no other way.

I'm finding very different instructions from everyone, but no one is showing the actual instructions.

**** this is frustrating

Are you trying to program the transponder of the key so it will start your engine, program the remote portion of a key or program a wireless keypad to put on the outside of the vehicle?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Are you trying to program the transponder of the key so it will start your engine, program the remote portion of a key or program a wireless keypad to put on the outside of the vehicle?
I added two additional Remote Key Pads to the passenger and rear doors. I have one on the drivers door.

The instructions that came with it only tell you how to program a new private code. Nothing tells you how to sync it to the vehicle. The instructions I find here int he forums and on a few videos are contradictory and none of them work.

2018 T-250 Cargo

·
Registered
91 Posts
The instructions I find here int he forums and on a few videos are contradictory and none of them work.

2018 T-250 Cargo
I hear you. I never got mine to work either on my 2017 T250. My local dealer was useless as well. So i have a brand new keyless entry pad sitting in my box of van junk. If you succeed in getting it to link up, please post up your successful method here.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
All devices (key fobs & keypads) need to be programmed at the same time, as the process erases previous links. NOTE: If you have the PATS option, I think it is different.

It should be outlined in the owner's manual in the Keys and Remote Controls section, pages 59-62 in my 2108 version:

Programming a New Remote Control
Make sure all new and existing remote controls are present before beginning this procedure. This procedure erases all existing programmed remote controls. Reprogram all the existing remote controls during this procedure:
1. Unlock the vehicle with the power door unlock control.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on eight times within six seconds, finishing in the off position.
A tone sounds to indicate that it is now possible to program a remote control.
3. Press and hold any button on the remote control within 10 seconds. A tone sounds as confirmation.
4. Repeat step 3 within 10 seconds for each remote control.
Note: Programming ends when you switch the ignition on, or after 10 seconds. If you have successfully programmed the remote control, it operates the remote entry system.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat the process.
Note:You can program a maximum of eight remote controls to your vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
All devices (key fobs & keypads) need to be programmed at the same time, as the process erases previous links. NOTE: If you have the PATS option, I think it is different.

It should be outlined in the owner's manual in the Keys and Remote Controls section, pages 59-62 in my 2108 version:

Programming a New Remote Control
Make sure all new and existing remote controls are present before beginning this procedure. This procedure erases all existing programmed remote controls. Reprogram all the existing remote controls during this procedure:
1. Unlock the vehicle with the power door unlock control.
2. Switch the ignition from off to on eight times within six seconds, finishing in the off position.
A tone sounds to indicate that it is now possible to program a remote control.
3. Press and hold any button on the remote control within 10 seconds. A tone sounds as confirmation.
4. Repeat step 3 within 10 seconds for each remote control.
Note: Programming ends when you switch the ignition on, or after 10 seconds. If you have successfully programmed the remote control, it operates the remote entry system.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10 seconds and repeat the process.
Note:You can program a maximum of eight remote controls to your vehicle.
Thise are the directions for remote controls - aka key fobs. The issue here are the stick-on remote entry keypads.

The key on my 2017 T250 does not need to be turned 8 times - it is 4 times. There are ample posts out on this forum detailing how some model years require 4 and some 8. I found these posts with the search feature but do not have the links handy currently to repost.

My situation is that the instructions I have found here at the forum work flawlessly for the two key fobs I have. But the keypad will not program no matter what I do nor what the dealer has tried. I know the keypad has good batteries because I can see the keypads light up and I can reprogram in a personal keypad code to accompany the factory code.

I gave up and tossed it into the box to get to later. Maybe I need to dig it out and give it another shot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok... so I found the stuff I had cut-and-pasted from his forum as it pertains to the keypad programming. I post it here again in case it helps

FUNCTION

Code only - unlock driver's door
3/4 - unlock all doors after entering the code.
7/8 + 9/0 - lock all doors - don't have to enter the code.

Low Power Warning - If you unlock the door with the keypad and the locks cycle one additional time, replace the unit, battery is not replaceable (can cut the unit out and replace the battery - as per the forums)

Enrolling Ford keyless entry touch pad

1) Have all your keys and keypads near you. You have to touch a button on each device. You may have to use a second person for keypads outside the vehicle

2) Insert a key in the ignition.

3) Turn the key from OFF to RUN 4 times ending on OFF. The system will chime to confirm that the vehicle is in programming mode. (Do not start the engine, just turn the key to the run position)

4) Key1 - Within 10 seconds, press any button on Key1. The system will chime once to confirm that Key1 has been programmed.

5) Key2 - Within 10 seconds of programming Key1, press any button on Key2. The system will chime once to confirm that Key2 has been programmed. Repeat step 5 if you have more than 2 keys.

6) Keypad1 - Within 10 seconds of programing Key2, press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time on Keypad1. The system will chime once to confirm that Keypad1 has been programmed. Repeat step 6 again if you have more than 1 keypad

7) After the last device has been programmed, turn the key to run to exit programming mode

8) Test each key and keypad to make sure they can unlock or lock the doors

Programming a Personal Entry Code

To create your own personal entry code:

- Enter the factory-set code.

- Press 1•2 on the keypad within five seconds.

- Enter your personal 5-digit code. You must enter each number within five seconds of each other.

- Press 1•2 on the keypad to save personal code 1.

- The doors will lock and unlock to confirm that you have successfully programmed a personal entry code.

- The factory-set code will work even if you have set your own personal code.

Erasing a Personal Code

- Enter the factory-set 5-digit code.

- Press and release 1•2 on the keypad within five seconds.

- Press and hold 1•2 for two seconds. You must do this within five seconds of completing Step 2.

- All personal codes are now erased and only the factory-set 5-digit code will work.

=============================================================

Here are the instructions to check/set the two different modes on the keypad. The default mode "communication type 1" is the correct one for the Transit. Probably not your issue but worth checking.

5. Upon pressing the 1/2, 3/4, and 9/0 buttons simultaneously for at least one second, all five buttons will flash at a two flashes per second rate. This indicates the keypad is waiting for master code entry. The master code is entered as in a normal keypad unlock, each button press will give another five second window for the next button press. If no button is pressed within five seconds the configure mode will exit.

6. When the proper master code is entered the 9/0 button will flash a pattern that corresponds to the current protocol set:

• One flash per second for "Communication Type 2".

• Three flashes per second for "Communication Type 1" (Default).

7. You will have 10 seconds to:

• Press the 9/0 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 2".

• Press the 1/2 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 1" (Default).

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Thise are the directions for remote controls - aka key fobs. The issue here are the stick-on remote entry keypads.
The remote entry keypads are remote controls with the same function as the key fobs (other than a panic button). They are NOT the same as the hard wired remotes in many other Ford vehicles, most dealer personnel I've engaged don't even know this.

And yes, some vehicles require 4, 6 or 8 off/on cycles, ymmv, which is why I specified that the information was from my 2018 manual.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The remote entry keypads are remote controls with the same function as the key fobs (other than a panic button). They are NOT the same as the hard wired remotes in many other Ford vehicles, most dealer personnel I've engaged don't even know it.
Exactly! It is the wireless stick-on keypads that seem to be giving folks like me the most issue with getting them to play nice with the entire system.

All this talk has me re-inspired. I am gonna bust everything out again this weekend and give it another try.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Trike, if you have a 2017 like me, the difference is that you turn the key 4 times instead of 8.

If you're doing the keypads, the difference is to hit 7/8 and 9/0 on your keypads (key fobs require any button).

I, too, struggled w/ all the different info, but if you get your year straight, it'll work (it did for me, anyway). Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Trike, if you have a 2017 like me, the difference is that you turn the key 4 times instead of 8.

If you're doing the keypads, the difference is to hit 7/8 and 9/0 on your keypads (key fobs require any button).

I, too, struggled w/ all the different info, but if you get your year straight, it'll work (it did for me, anyway). Good luck.
Nope...I have all that info as pasted above. Still does not work. Very frustrating... so much so that I just gave up and tossed it back in the box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Made another valiant effort on this keypad today that was, again, in vain. Everything works just as all known instrictions imply except the keypad will not program to the vehicle.

I did find this PDF that may help some others.

·
Super Moderator
2,325 Posts
Made another valiant effort on this keypad today that was, again, in vain. Everything works just as all known instructions imply except the keypad will not program to the vehicle.
So, are you able to get the van into program mode, but just can't get the keypad to do anything? Does it even light up? Do the keyfobs program as expected?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes as described many times by me on his thread... EVERYTHING works as detailed in the instructions except the keypad will not program. Programming mode is activated on van with 4 turns of key. Key fobs program with audible tone. Keypad verfied to be in mode 1 communication as per the instructions I posted. Keypad will accept my custom code. So I know keypad has power. Everything works except the keypad simply will not program. I am starting to think I have a defective keypad possibly.

I just tossed it back in the box of van stuff and will deal with it later.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would try programming the keypad before the remotes on the key. Also instead of using the 7/8 9/0 combo, press the buttons for the master code for the keypad (or your personal code). That is how I have programmed several and never had an issue. I never even thought of the 7/8 9/0 thing until reading it here.

If that does not work, then I would suspect the keypad is not working properly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would try programming the keypad before the remotes on the key. Also instead of using the 7/8 9/0 combo, press the buttons for the master code for the keypad (or your personal code). That is how I have programmed several and never had an issue. I never even thought of the 7/8 9/0 thing until reading it here.

If that does not work, then I would suspect the keypad is not working properly.
Will try shifting the order to keypad first and keyfobs last. Cant hurt...

Trying to get that PDF on the rf keypads to show up but it exceeds the sites attachment limit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So... here is the final chapter to my saga.

I had ordered the keypad last October from Amazon but it really came from Wholesale Direct Parts. My troubles with getting it to program and sync to the van are well documented here.

I took it yesterday to the other Ford dealer in town to see if anyone there could figure it out. The service mgr could not make it work either. He did notice that the box had an older ford parts label on it, it was oddly taped up, and he noticed a small bit of an old shipping label to someone in CO. So it appears I got a used part or maybe even a part swapped out for the wrong one.

I went to parts at the dealer and bought another one for about $10 more than i had originally paid online. I walked out to the van and the keypad synced up flawlessly. Now I get to see about returning a faulty part to Amazon or its third party retailer about 5 months after purchase.

But I now have a functioning keypad on my Transit drivers door.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts