Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you actually done it that way on a 2018?
According to the manual the 2018 takes 8 cycles of they key.
I haven't tried it but will soon- I retained the keys/remotes from my totalled 2015.
Once the insurance mess is done I will attempt to add those 2 remotes to the 2 I already have.
Then I'll saw the key blades off since they won't work in the new van.
Mine was a 2017, but I received instructions to do the eight cycles, which did not work. I then found the older 4 cycles directions which did work. Once you get your keypad, please let us know which set of directions worked for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Which keypad did you order?

I ordered mine from amazon but I don’t have enough posts to put a link, so I’ll just copy the description from the seller.

Genuine Ford ES7Z-14A626-A Keyless Entry Keypad

Seller: Wholesale Direct Parts

Price: $72.90 with prime shipping

I got one for the back door and one for the passenger side door. They appear identical to the factory installed one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I ordered mine from amazon but I don’t have enough posts to put a link, so I’ll just copy the description from the seller.

Genuine Ford ES7Z-14A626-A Keyless Entry Keypad

Seller: Wholesale Direct Parts

Price: $72.90 with prime shipping

I got one for the back door and one for the passenger side door. They appear identical to the factory installed one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just installed mine on a 2018.

It required me to do the 8 cycles and REMOVE the key out of the lock before I could program. Once I removed the key, there was a chime, and I could press the remote buttons and the new pad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 Transit 250 required just the 4 cycles to get the keypad programmed. I monkeyed around with the 8 cycles for a long time until I found this thread.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does the Transit need to have anything special installed for keyless entry to be added? I test drove a basic Transit that had keys with no lock/unlock buttons, which made me wonder if a keyless system could be added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just added mine to the system. I bought 3....2 for the side doors and one for the rear. Had to program them and the 3 keys as well...Easy to do and had to key the on position 4 times (2017 model). I wasn't sure about my alarm system that was added (aftermarket with remote start). I did them last and just like the factory key fobs....it didn't chime like the keypads or keyfobs....I think they are tied in to the system a different way...but they all work....NOW I have to decide where to stick them on.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I recently added the keyless entry pad on my 2017 HR 148" Cargo. I was also stymied by the directions to cycle the key 8 times and end in the "on" position. That was TOTALLY wrong.
Using 4 cycles, leaving the key in the "off" position worked perfectly. Now all I need is a warm day to actually stick it on the side of the van.

Perfectly is not how my expereince has been... I can get the remote to accept a personal code using the master code as in the directions. I can get my 2017 Transit to enter programming mode by keying to the on position 4x. I get the confirmation tone telling me I am in programming mode but then things stop working. No matter which button I push or hold down (and I tried them all!) on the remote I cannot get the remote programmed. Eventually I hear the tone letting me know that the van is out of programming mode. The remote does not work. I tried every permutation I could think of. I am at a loss. Any suggestions from the collected wisdom of this forum? Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Perfectly is not how my expereince has been... I can get the remote to accept a personal code using the master code as in the directions. I can get my 2017 Transit to enter programming mode by keying to the on position 4x. I get the confirmation tone telling me I am in programming mode but then things stop working. No matter which button I push or hold down (and I tried them all!) on the remote I cannot get the remote programmed. Eventually I hear the tone letting me know that the van is out of programming mode. The remote does not work. I tried every permutation I could think of. I am at a loss. Any suggestions from the collected wisdom of this forum? Thanks!
You don't push a button. You push buttons. The 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. Also I thought I remember there being two different modes the keypad could be put into depending on which car model or year it was being used with. The default mode was correct for the Transit. Is it possible your's has been switched to the other mode. I can't remember the details on the modes but you might check that also.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You don't push a button. You push buttons. The 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time. Also I thought I remember there being two different modes the keypad could be put into depending on which car model or year it was being used with. The default mode was correct for the Transit. Is it possible your's has been switched to the other mode. I can't remember the details on the modes but you might check that also.
Thanks. I have tried the 7/8 and 9/0 together with no better luck. I found a great detailed step-by-step tutorial here at the forum. I can get the van into programming mode and hear the tone. Both my keyfobs will program and give me the confirmation tone but the keypad still gives me issues. I will see what i can find on the keypad modes and I might just run it by my dealer too.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
trikepilot, does the keypad light up when you press a button? If not, there is a power or keypad button contact issue. Assuming it is new, get a replacement.
Brand new. Never applied to van. Keypad will accept my personal code so I know battery is OK.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,426 Posts
Try running it to your dealer to see if they can help, that sounds like the best option at this point. That is bizarre that when in programming mode the van accepts the key fobs yet doesn't notice the keypad input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try running it to your dealer to see if they can help, that sounds like the best option at this point. That is bizarre that when in programming mode the van accepts the key fobs yet doesn't notice the keypad input.
Bizarre is right. Everything about this van project has been a struggle. Thank God for this forum though...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here are the instructions to check/set the two different modes on the keypad. The default mode "communication type 1" is the correct one for the Transit. Probably not your issue but worth checking.

5. Upon pressing the 1/2, 3/4, and 9/0 buttons simultaneously for at least one second, all five buttons
will flash at a two flashes per second rate. This indicates the keypad is waiting for master code
entry. The master code is entered as in a normal keypad unlock, each button press will give another
five second window for the next button press. If no button is pressed within five seconds the
configure mode will exit.
6. When the proper master code is entered the 9/0 button will flash a pattern that corresponds to the
current protocol set:
• One flash per second for "Communication Type 2".
• Three flashes per second for "Communication Type 1" (Default).
7. You will have 10 seconds to:
• Press the 9/0 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 2".
• Press the 1/2 button to change the protocol to "Communication Type 1" (Default).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well... that was not it. I am in the right commincation mode on the keypad. This is maddening. I consider myself sn intelligent guy who can fiure out most techie stuff with good directions but this one has me stumped. I guess I am gonna have to go by the dealer and hope they dont suck.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just bought a second keyless pad and programmed it, after figuring out a couple of problems:
1) I had to turn the key 4 times (2017) w/in 6 sec.
2) the key fobs only required pushing any button to beep, but the keyless pads required holding the 7/8 and 9/0 keys to beep. Read this important step from Ford's PDF instructions.

Maybe this will help someone.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts